Good teams to start with

Having bought the game a bit late this year, I've had my normal blast with a team I don't care about to get used to it, and I'm trying to decide who to play as. Which team would you recommend playing as, and why? I'm not too fussy, would just like a bit of a challenge, as the top clubs don't really interest me. I tried playing as my beloved St Pauli for a little bit, but I just went bananas on a free signings binge, and now have a massive squad/wage bill, and a desire to start over!

I'm toying with the idea of trying to get a team from the Championship to Europe. Perhaps Boro or Leicester? Some decent players, decent facilities, but by no means a shoe-in.

Getting Celtic to be a force in Europe is proving quite a challenge for me this year, at the start you have an entirely new/ungelled first team squad and very limited finances. So far have managed one last 16 appearance, losing to Inter on away goals after a 1-1 home draw and a 0-0 away. In my fifth season now and dominating domestically but looking like it's going to be the same as usual in Europe, qualify for last 16 second in the group then out to one of the European giants.

I recommend Boro as I've started with them. I'm currently halfway through my first season and in 3rd place behind Sheff Utd and Nottingham Forest. You get Kris Boyd and Scott McDonald who are great. McDonald is actually leading the league in goals right now. Then you have David Wheater who has been completely amazing for me. You also have some great youngsters, and good prospects. Mark Venus is a great assman who has 17 in motivation, man mgmt, etc. Boro is a great club to play with. Things aren't easy for them as they can use some help in midfielding and some defensive positions.

I also had to bench Coyne and start Steele at GK. Steele has been nothing less than amazing for me.

@slipknot67 - Tempting, but I'm not big on the domestic situation being a two horse race. Plus, every time McGregor did well against me I'd have to hurt something.

@Wally - Cheers. I was looking at Leeds. Not sure I wouldn't feel a bit bad getting them promoted though ;)

@Joe - I think I'm going with Boro. How many bloody central midfielders did Strachan have though? Good grief!

@Joe - I think I'm going with Boro. How many bloody central midfielders did Strachan have though? Good grief!

LOL Yea. My best midfielders have been Bailey and Robson, maybe Rhys Williams if he can stay off the damn injury table. Kevin Thomson is the diva in my league. He's always complaining about anything I do. Hoyte ended up getting a red card one match and I gave him a warning, suddently Thomson got upset about a "warning". Seriously? Everyone else, even Hoyte thought it was a fair warning for him. I think I'm gonna get rid of Thomson next season. Besides, he hasn't done anything for me so far. He's never had a match above a 6.5 rating. He misses passes (even though I've selected individual passing training for him), he gets tackled way too easily, he's slow and he doesn't react well to the opposition.

I think I'm going to threaten him with the "play better or you'll be on the reserve squad" speech. :)

leicester have a decent side to start with an 6m to spend, quite a high ammount for the championship.

southampton also have a good team for league 1. 500k transfer budget but dont really need to buy anyone as you should get promoted with the team they already have.

@joe - Hoyte went straight on the transfer list for me! Thomson's a good player, be interesting to see if he does the same for me. It's not as if Boro are lacking in that department.

@dontask - I was very tempted by Leicester, and will definitely have to give that one a go. I only went for Boro in the end as I have a real soft spot for them. Mind you, I do for Leicester as well!

Try Shakhtar in Ukraine, it may look like an easy challenge, but it will not be. When you play againsta two other good teams and the rest are poor, you'll most of the time win 3-0, 4-0, but sometimes you'll drew or lose. And the very good teams in the league will profit from the wasteful you :) It's fun to see Dinamo Kiev not making a mistake the whole season... but once you wrap the title up for the first time, you won't have many challenges anymore :) All of the teams just become poor at that moment.

Archived