My 3-2-2-2-1

We all know that narrow formations worked a treat on FM2010, and this seemingly has been fixed for FM2011. I decided to start as Inter Milan last night and came up with an out of the ordinary tactic to try and make work. I set everything out as I thought it should be and have changed nothing since. Well my results so far have been;

Inter 1-0 Roma Despite being outplayed for 119 minutes.

Inter 2-1 Atletico Madrid Again i only had half the total shots Atletico had and i only managed 3 on target.

Inter 3-0 Cagliari I dominated this match as expected.

Now you might say I am Inter Milan so in fairness should be winning these games but the way i have been outplayed in the 2 cup finals, I feel i should have been absolutely owned. So what I am wondering is, is this tactic well balanced in defense and attack allowing me to be outplayed yet still win games. Or is this tactic exploiting the match engine in much the same way it would have done on FM2010?

The tactic it self is a 3-2-2-2-1 and looks like so;

3-2-2-2-1.png

A download link can be found below, what i would appreciate is if people could download and try this tactic out. Ofcourse what I am after is some opinions of other Football Manager players. Any feedback offered is much appreciated.

Download here

Once you have completed the download you will need to extract the file using winrar or an equivalent program. Place the file;

Documents > Sports Interactive > Football Manager 2011 > Tactics.

Thanks again.

Maybe your outplayed because you have no players marking wide players so it's easy for the opposition to stay in possession but then you have five players sitting in front of the box making it difficult to score. Then on the other hand you are pressing a lot so it would be easy to drag a few players out of position but with 5 players at the back there would probably still be enough left to intercept any crosses coming in. The reason you're not dominating is most likely due to the lack of wide options when recycling possession making you more likely to lose the ball when the midfield gets too packed. To be sure I will have to see the formation play but I guess it's playing like a counter attacking strategy piling five very defensive players in front of the box with five attacking players spread out to launch a counter attack.

btw. Cautious tackling also won't help with getting back possession.

Archived