Agents Fees - no, not another moan

Hi All

Thought I would post a little article which shows the opposite side to a lot of complaints I have seen here. It is to do with agents fees.

Now, most people appear to be complaining that the fees are too high etc etc.

I find that with a bit of maths, you can actually save money by offering the agent more than they ask for.

If a player is asking for £30k a week, I reduce that to £25k a week (saving about £250k a year).

I then increase the agents fee by say £100k.

The agent then confirms terms and goes off to talk to his client, presumably convincing him my club is the best move for him - don't forget this is what players pay agents for.

I seem to be able to get players on much reduced contracts compared to what the agent initially indicates by simply buttering up the agent with extra cash.

Might be worth a go.

My best experience has been to renew Kadlec's contract which was £30,000 a week with a £12m release clause and big bonuses, to a 6 year deal at £32,000 a week with less bonuses and a £40m release clause.

I couldn't get them to agree a higher release than £12m without bunging the agent some extra cash. The agent fee on this deal was under £200k, signing on fee even less.

Yeah, that's kind of the point. Every one is too busy trying to create a revolution in paying less / no fees to agents that I think the whole point of the feature has been missed.

You can play like Harry Redknapp or Sven, getting players above your level to sign for you by effectively bunging the agents. You get the impression they are fighting for the best deal for their client, but actually give them more than they ask for and give the player a bum deal and watch the agent sell it to his client.

No, no proof. To match the no allegations. Re-read it please sir.

I have suggested simply that teams like Notts County and Portsmouth have, in the past, bought players above their station, by paying large agents fees - this is not unfounded.

You are a busy body, and perhaps should learn to read first if you want to get involved in legal spats about defamation.

It hasn't been suggested that either take bungs.

More that the agents will happily sell a club to their client as the 'best opportunity for them' just because they themselves would make more money from it. Anyone want to protect the fictional agents from defamation? No? Good.

You see the word effectively in the 3 post down? That means that for all intents and purposes the answer is yes. But that it is done in an official way - i.e. high fees which are in no way illegal.

It is public knowledge what a club spends on agents fees as I am sure you are aware so I am not speculating here. I know that Portsmouth paid ridiculous amounts on agents, as did Notts County for a short period.

He's concerned about defamation, which means I could be prosecuted if I say something libellous, which I haven't.

We disagree there obviously, as he thinks I have. No doubt SI will close this thread now because the topic has been mentioned.

I think Harry would happily admit that Portsmouth paid large agents fees in order to obtain players that people would have thought were above their reach - Muntari for example.

The thread should help a lot of people who are currently bemoaning the signing of players and the renewals of contracts. Negotiaition isn't just start low and meet in the middle, it's give and take, give to the agent, take from the player.

Haha, now I'm talking to myself all the way down.

To be honest Edgar you've summed it up perfectly - agents (in the game) are untrustworthy and morally and ethically void. But whereas most people thought they fought the corner of the player, in fact they only fight their own corner and if you give them extra, they will sell a weak deal to their client.

Haha, now I'm talking to myself all the way down.

To be honest Edgar you've summed it up perfectly - agents (in the game) are untrustworthy and morally and ethically void. But whereas most people thought they fought the corner of the player, in fact they only fight their own corner and if you give them extra, they will sell a weak deal to their client.

Yes, I do realise that deleting my posts has made you look a bit mental. Lol.

To be fair to the in game agents, there are some who aren't like that and can't be twisted (or maybe you can, everyone must have a breaking point).

Oh yeah, there's still variation in their personalities.

I just got the impression that everyone's first move was to reduce the agents fee, and maybe leave everything else the same. That was how I used to do contract negotiations.

Then all of a sudden I thought "what if I offered him £1m to sell this weakened deal to his client" and it worked.

Some you might need to bung more than others, perhaps some won't let their heads be turned. But I would've thought the good guys would be more interested in their client than themselves.

The problem is with certain agents who want £9m for themselves and £100k a week for their client, but I tend to find this occurs when the transfer fee is very low (maybe even the dreaded £0).

Archived