Work Permits acting very oddly

I really don't understand the work permits in FM11. I've just tried loaning a brazilian teenager from Arsenal, and I've been told that the work permit was rejected. How can he have a permit to work in Britian to play for Arsenal, but they can't loan him out? He played for their first team last season and has played for the reserves this season, and he is earning a salary. So what gives? If I was trying to loan him from a Brazilian club, I would understand, but it seems like this is not how it would work in real life since the permit is not for my CLUB to loan him, but for the PLAYER to work in this country. If he has a permit, that covers him for playing at all, the permit would not say "you can only play for Arsenal".

Can we have a word from someone at SI whether this is the intended work permit system or a bug?

A work permit is specific to the employer you are working for - just because he has permission to work for Arsenal doesn't mean he has permission to work for you. He presumably met the criteria for a permit at the time Arsenal signed him, but he no longer does, so it's tough luck.

I think bigdunk has hit the nail on the head. When Arsenal applied, the player was deemed to have sufficient talent to warrant a work permit (I'm assuming he wasn't/isn't playing for the national side) however perhaps in the last couple years his reputation has gone down enough such that he is no longer considered worthy of one. His previous one is still active, but new applications will be rejected.

He's 20, and they managed to sign him for 3.5M from Fluminense in 2010. He played twice in the first team the next season, but has only played for the Reserves this season.

If he's without a work permit, it would show up in the Arsenal squad under the "full player status" tab, as it does for one of his colleagues who has the red "WP" next to his name. But this player apparently HAS a work permit.

And since he would still be getting paid by Arsenal, I would not count as his employer. And I am asking if the work permit actually is MEANT to be specific to your employer, or whether this is an error. What is the actual rule in real life?

He's 20, and they managed to sign him for 3.5M from Fluminense in 2010. He played twice in the first team the next season, but has only played for the Reserves this season.

If he's without a work permit, it would show up in the Arsenal squad under the "full player status" tab, as it does for one of his colleagues who has the red "WP" next to his name. But this player apparently HAS a work permit.

And since he would still be getting paid by Arsenal, I would not count as his employer. And I am asking if the work permit actually is MEANT to be specific to your employer, or whether this is an error. What is the actual rule in real life?

he has a work permit to work for Arsenal not anyone else, the work permit is tied into his contract so he can play for them but not you. Although you may not pay his wages you would count as his employer for the time he was at your club.

Archived