Can't get a job

After leaving Celtic and winning two consecutive titles. It now rates me as world class but i have been unable to get a job - for example Ian Holloway getting the Birmingham job (19th in league) over me. Used FMRTE to check my rep - home and current are well over 9000 with world around 6500. Ive also applied for sevilla at 19th, juventus, England amongst others - basically every level of job and cant get any. any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks for that,

is this not a common problem anyone is having, anybody know why this is happening in my game

A bit of a lottery in my opinion. In my first major save, i got offered the job at Burnley in the Championship, climbed up from 20th to 3rd but lost in the play offs. With many of my key players unhappy, i resigned, but just a few months later i got offered the PSV job (though what i had done to warrant the job at a "top 4" club in Holland i dont know) Was there three seasons, won the Dutch Cup thrice, finished second thrice and qualified to the knockout and quarter final of the Champions League. Got frustrated after missing out on the title on goal difference in my final season, so i resigned. Had a reputation of continental but still was not able to get jobs at teams such as Villarreal or Man City (who had finished below 8th in the last three seasons) or even at PSG. After holidaying through four seasons without a job offer, i quit and started another save..decided not to resign until i had a good offer on hand :(

A bit of a lottery in my opinion. In my first major save, i got offered the job at Burnley in the Championship, climbed up from 20th to 3rd but lost in the play offs. With many of my key players unhappy, i resigned, but just a few months later i got offered the PSV job (though what i had done to warrant the job at a "top 4" club in Holland i dont know) Was there three seasons, won the Dutch Cup thrice, finished second thrice and qualified to the knockout and quarter final of the Champions League. Got frustrated after missing out on the title on goal difference in my final season, so i resigned. Had a reputation of continental but still was not able to get jobs at teams such as Villarreal or Man City (who had finished below 8th in the last three seasons) or even at PSG. After holidaying through four seasons without a job offer, i quit and started another save..decided not to resign until i had a good offer on hand :(

It's strange isn't it.

I have a world class rep but can't get a decent job (just been offered a job 16th in the Dutch league).

Why does the game say I'm World Class, yet teams from the reputation of Juventus all the way down to birmingham and blackpool (a lot in between) have no interest. Alan Shearer, Ian Holloway and Wolves coaches are getting premier league jobs before a 'World Class' manager

Im surprised your rep is world class now after two titles in scotland seeing as the scottish league rep cant be that high.

Same but I did well in the champs league, even if I shouldn't be world class (which I agree I shouldn't) but I can't even get crappy jobs like blackpool and as one of few managers at world class why is Alan Shearer getting the spurs job and a wolves coach for blackpool before me?

I tried quitting Auckland City (with Continental rep) and had ZERO luck getting a new job. The fact that's making me more mad is that clubs are hiring way too many managers with no coaching experience. And way too many national teams are hiring managers without coaching experience and just plucking out a former famous player off the street.

Although I did get offered a new job while typing... :p

It is a weird one, and I can't quite figure it out. I resigned after 1 and a half seasons at Hibs (starting as an ex-Pro, just to try and be realistic about).....leaving them with a 4th place finish in the 1st season and in the same spot when I resigned. I was on holiday for a day when Leicester (struggling in the Championship) offered me a job which is just about believable. I decided not to accept that offer and try my luck. Got a couple from League 2 - Port Vale and Bristol Rovers. Again I decided to see what was out there. The season was drawing to a close when I got offered the Forfar Athletic job, who had just been relegated into the 3rd Division of Scotland. Nearly took it as I fancied the challenge and thought my standing had dropped to this level, but once more I declined to see what else came my way.

Heading into July 2012 and I get offered Championship side QPR's managers job. 7m to spend, big wage budget which was not being fully used and a half decent squad but a rebuild job was needed. No brainer really.

Strange in some ways as there were plenty of jobs I was overlooked for at differing levels in Scotland and England but I guess it works like that in real life too to a certain extent!

I am having the exact same problem as the OP. I resigned as Hibs manager after winning 3 domestic cups, the league and a Euro cup in two years. I also then won the European Championship with Scotland (ffs) and have a world class reputation also. I declared many an interest in a whole raft of teams, including mid league italian, spanish and premiership teams and get 'laughed' at. It is taking the pee. I eventually got offered the Sheff Utd job in the Championship and got them promoted in the half a season with them, yet nothing happened job wise. It is a serious issue that I have reported in the bugs forum, yet recieved no response from SI, as usual.

It is genuinely ruining my game. What is the point of having a reputation of it gets ignored by clubs. The Newcastle job went to the Huddersfield boss, the Man U job went to their assistant, Mike Phelan(I mean c'mon. So much for realism!) It really makes career saves pointless and desperately needs sorted!

Another thing that i have noticed is that clubs often hire and fire/let leave the same manager again and again. For example here is the Liverpool Landmark screenshot:

liverpoolhistorylandmar.png

Not that he did a great job when he was with the club. Liverpool finished 9th during the 2012-13 season and then 7th during 2013-14 season only because they won their last four games. Same problem with Man City...Mancini left the club once, got sacked and was immediately rehired by City and was sacked a few months later.

I have regional reputation after starting clubless with automatic experience and becoming champions at dutch level 4, and winner of the dutch amateur cup. Now I am laughed at by the likes of Woodley Sports and Bashley in english level 8 (the lowest level I have loaded) when I make my interest in their jobs known. Maybe the rep of dutch level 4 is pretty mediocre, but surely at least as good as the Isthmian First Division Central (or something like that)..

If it is about having to leave the club first... that would make a huge bug IMO...

I have regional reputation after starting clubless with automatic experience and becoming champions at dutch level 4, and winner of the dutch amateur cup. Now I am laughed at by the likes of Woodley Sports and Bashley in english level 8 (the lowest level I have loaded) when I make my interest in their jobs known. Maybe the rep of dutch level 4 is pretty mediocre, but surely at least as good as the Isthmian First Division Central (or something like that)..

If it is about having to leave the club first... that would make a huge bug IMO...

It's not about leaving I quit 4 months ago and can't get ajob.

Hmm, I'll try and find out if leaving the club makes it any better. I plan to quit the dutch club and try my luck abroad at whatever level.

The strange thing is that my name is occasionally mentioned in the media as a possible replacement of under-fire managers at dutch 2nd level (so two leagues up from mine), without me showing interest. I can imagine that a dutch manager with only dutch knowledge is less interesting for english clubs, but 8th level laughing me off while dutch 2nd level think I'm a seriuos option....

Another stupid appointment...wonder why did they select him in the first place. Managed a grand total of one game which ended in a draw. Saw these type of appointments in FM 10 as well so it is nothing new

~snip~

Was the Sao Paulo chairman taking a page out of the Brazilian FA, sacking managers in the middle of World Cups and sacking managers after a loss/draw? :p

Too many managers are being hired in the top levels without any coaching experience. And too many national team managers are hiring unproven ones who haven't managed a game before.

And MLS are playing musical chairs with the amount of managers sacked at one club and moving to another one...or two clubs sack their managers and they basically swap them... (example: Kinnear sacked from Houston and Yallop from San Jose. Kinnear takes over San Jose and Yallop is the new 'Quakes manager a few days later)

Yeah its big bug and needs to be fixed. how can you play a carrer game ? And no it makes no difference if you leave your club or not. This is a horrible bug for people that play long term games and start at the bottom.

I get the problem and so do 2 of my freinds

Following on from my post further up the page, I resigned as QPR boss in November of my first season in charge as I was interested to see what I got offered and was getting bored of the save (started a new one now). I was bombarded with offers tbh ranging from League 2 through to teams challenging the playoffs in Championship such as Notts Forest and Portsmouth.

As I said, all I have done to date is finish 4th with Hibs and not even get into group stage of Europa League. Resigned as Hibs and QPR boss and I am getting decent enough offers. So I wonder if the fact I started as a "Professional Footballer" plays a big part?

I started unemployed with Automatic Experience (ie. Regional rep) and I can't land a job at League Two level and even clubs in Norwegian Second Division [that's tier 3]...

Hell, not even Faroese yo-yo side 07 Vestur wanted to hire me!!!

P.S. I tried several nationalities and second nationalities, but AT BEST I can get a job in Norwegian Second, or in BSN/BSS...

And all of that while Newgen managers with zero experience are getting appointed one/two tiers above

//edit. Of course I'm talking about FM10 here, but I'm fairly positive FM11 is more or less the same

Okay, so I tried to quit my dutch 4th tier job (after becoming champions, 15pnts clear, and amateur cup winners, regional rep) and started applying for jobs and showing interest at really low end clubs like Folkestone, Heybridge, Tonbridge (english 8th tier), and some scandinavian and belgian 3rd tier clubs... Nothing...

Well one or two of the clubs thougt I might have an outside chance of being offered the job and one even thought I was the ideal manager for the job, but 85% dismissed my interest immideately and the interst had not lead to the sacking of the managers in charge so that's no use eather. Strange thing is the duth 2nd tier clubs that had mentioned my name in the media as a possability when their manager would quit their club, all laugh at me aswell. I have to admit I ve only tried for 1,5 months (FM months that is), and automatic experience, but still..

If this is a bug this better be fixed quickly because if yourneyman-carreers are not possible, this game is worthless to me. I thought it was too difficult to skip jobs in FM10 (started as a sunday-league footballer then), but this is rediculous. I'll try again this weekend, but if this lasts some more FM-months I will get really annoyed.

When's the bugfix planned, somewhere in december?

Problem is that SI have not even acknowledged it is an issue, in this thread or in the one I posted in the bugs forum. Either they do not consider it a bug, or would rather not acknowledge another bug has slipped through the net given the recent gripes with the transfer system.

Archived