Curiosity, why does the CPU is stressed when composing a formation before a match ?

grep

Doesnt really make sense.

The result can't be calculated - because then say I have 3 reds and 3 injuries, its a different result.

That could just be you getting a different random seed.

That would explain why you can't save during a match.

Oops, could this mean SI busted ?

No, it's a fairly well-known fact.

At the start of the match, the game calculates every event over the next 90mins to determine a result, then plays it out in front of your eyes. If you make any change, however minor, the game recalculates this (hence the lag when making a sub or tactical change).

That could just be you getting a different random seed.

That would explain why you can't save during a match.

Its not all random, we influence it right.

Obviously it calculates the events pre match. In terms of having a smooth game, its would be best to do the whole hard work before all the video needs to be fetched. But it doesn't calculate the result since with every change you make the result may changes.

So its false to say the result is calculated before the match. Because If I, after 1 minute, put my striker in goals, the whole thing changes. It then must recalculate.

There is nothing false about the statement bearsy made.

The game and result are calculated, then and this is the important bit so read carefully, the match is recalculated everytime a change is made.

SI haven't been busted, this is not a lie, this is cold, hard, been like this forever fact.

I actually watch in full highlight, but yes it's predetermined otherwise the option key highlights wouldn't make sense.

Of course it's all pre-calculated before the game otherwise.............well what this person said.....doh!

What's the sense of calculating the match before ? I mean, what's the role of the Team Talking ????????????? Team Talking comes AFTER the formation selection........

SI please chime in to clarify.

Of course forumers opinions are welcome too.

What's the sense of calculating the match before ? I mean, what's the role of the Team Talking ????????????? Team Talking comes AFTER the formation selection........

SI please chime in to clarify.

Of course forumers opinions are welcome too.

Well it recalculates after your team talk, the original calcualtion is based on a 'none' team talk.

You can say it makes no sense all you like, thats the way its always been and always will be. The system works just fine. You're going to have to get your head round it because it ain't changing.

Well it recalculates after your team talk, the original calcualtion is based on a 'none' team talk.

You can say it makes no sense all you like, thats the way its always been and always will be. The system works just fine. You're going to have to get your head round it because it ain't changing.

I am not sad about that.

I am anyway wondering why , if you take a close look to the CPU activity , the calculation is being done BEFORE you finish to select the formation and tactics....... higher CPU peaks comes when you START to edit the formation, not when you have finished to select the formation....... when the CPU is basically idle and you still have to set your forwarders and midfielders f.i.

How can you explain that ?

I think you guys don't understand his question. I think he means from when he presses continue to match right after he has selected squad. Then we see prematch the two teams, and in FM11 the CPU calculates a bit before presenting the other teams formation. THEN we get the analysis, and THEN the prematch teamtalk.

the match is calculated AFTER the teamtalk. The other lag of the CPU is new in 2011 when you see both the teams formation. What the game is calculating here is unknown, but it is not the result. (would not make any sence since you do the teamtalk right after).

I am not sad about that.

I am anyway wondering why , if you take a close look to the CPU activity , the calculation is being done BEFORE you finish to select the formation and tactics....... higher CPU peaks comes when you START to edit the formation, not when you have finished to select the formation....... when the CPU is basically idle and you still have to set your forwarders and midfielders f.i.

How can you explain that ?

I don't know. I'm not technically minded. I was just explaining how this bit works.

It seems the CPU pre-calculates the results before you select the formation.......... so what's the will of selecting players if the CPU calculates the result even before you finish to edit your formation and tactics ?

This is the weird point

it doesnt calculate the result, but it calculates something else...

my guess is that before when pressing "tactic" there was always a lag when FM calcalutated something. We don't have the lag now, but i'm guessing they have moved it to the formation setup. Less complain from the masses then.

As I said above, I'm pretty sure what it's calculating at this point is the result of other matches with other teams that are being played at the same time as yours. On my fairly elderly laptop, the CPU is maxed out for quite a long time before I select my team if I'm playing in the early stages of the Europa League, because of the massive number of matches it needs to process.

If I'm playing a match in the Croatian league, it maxes out for far less time, because there are fewer matches.

The game is pre-run in a second(s) before you actually watch the highlights FACT

The game is then played out in front of you based on it being pre-run FACT

If you make in game changes during the game, at this point the remainder of the game is recalculated and played out in front of you FACT

What processor do you have? My CPU 'spikes' at pressing confirm team selection, a miniscule increase (around 5%) when loading the AI teams formation, and another 'spike' after confirming my team talk. As small as a change it may be changing your philosophy from control to attacking shapes the rest of the game just as much as subbing 3 goalkeepers on to play upfront.

Say at the beginning of the game after your team talk the game has been calculated and for all sakes and purposes its Arsenal v Chelsea.

As it stands the game is programmed for Cheslea to go 1-0 up after 24 minutes, and if left untouched they will see out a 3-0 win (with goals 2 & 3 in the 40th and 65th minute). However, the player as Arsenal is seeing his team is not getting anywhere with the current 4-3-3 tactics, losing the midfield battle and getting walked all over.

Due to this in the 30th minute the human manager changes to a 4-5-1, the game recalculates the second this is applied. If its in the 39th minute and highlights are still underway, Chelsea will score their 40th minute goal still. However, if its in the 38th minute and theres no highlights underway (viewed or unviewed) the changes will be made.

As a result of these changes the match recalculates that the game will finish 2-1 to Arsenal with a goal in the 44th minute and the 85th minute. So it goes in at half-time at 1-1, pleased with the teams comeback thus far you tell them you're pleased.

This then causes another recalculation - Some players feel they have performed poorly, and are a bit confused at your 'pleased' appraisal, especially couple languishing below 6's. Had you stuck with none which was anticipated you'd have won 2-1, but now the pleased has caused a recalculation for you to lose 3-1.

Chelsea score in the 55th minute so you sub on 2 new wide men on the 5 man midfield and bring on a new striker, this causes another recalculation, this reinforces your teams workrate and refreshes them but it is still set for you to lose 2-1. Getting desperate in the 80th minute you switch to 'overload' which causes another recalculation. The game recalculates the score as 3-2 to Chelsea, with Arsenal to score in the 85th minute and Chelsea to score in the 89th. However, knowing Overload is dangerous after you have scored in the 85th you switch to 'control' and Chelsea have possibly switched to counter attacking agaisnt your style. This change causes another recalculation and you are now set to win 3-2 with a 92nd minute goal.

There tend to be slowering in moments of decission: ball is flying to the goal and passes by the keeper, small ruckus by CPU, then the ball goes out, in or is stopped.

My guess always was 'this is the moment when the computer calculates my opposition's tactics". Which to a extent feels like "Ooooh yeah, so the AI knows my formation before choosing an I not!" :p

It doesn't really matter when it's calculated. I suppose that it makes sense to do it "then" because it's better than processing all of it on-the-fly during a match, which is more likely to cause it to lag.

Although I suppose one could argue that you waste more time recalculating then processing on-the-fly if you make loads of changes per match.

Archived