Six seasons in the Premiership and still no basic English skills?

I've got a skillful, versatile Italian regen: He has been with me for 6 years now (first team player for 4 years) and it amazes me that he hasn't picked up any English language skills whatsoever. As of this season, he's the only Italian left in my squad.

What's the FM record for most years in a country without learning any basic language skills?

I had a russian guy who didn't ever learn english while at my club for 5 years. What's even more puzzling is that i,(manager) have somehow learnt spanish while managing q.p.r having no spanish player sin the squad or ever managed in spain or having it as second nationality. very strange indeed.

Originally posted by Bullion1:

sounds like the majority of the Prem if you ask me.

There are many foreigners in the Premiership, yes. They may not want to give interviews in English but I'm fairly sure that pretty much everyone masters basic English skills after a year or two. Can you get by speaking only Italian in the UK? I'd say it would be difficult.

• 1 month later...

Update: I have just sent my non-English-speaking Italian quality defender back to Italy. He spent 10 years in the UK (playing 200+ first team matches for me) and never picked up basic English! This must be some sort of record. For me, at least, it is.

Originally posted by Jaketomsett:

I had a russian guy who didn't ever learn english while at my club for 5 years. What's even more puzzling is that i,(manager) have somehow learnt spanish while managing q.p.r having no spanish player sin the squad or ever managed in spain or having it as second nationality. very strange indeed.

My manager has American nationalty (obviously) and he automatically knows Spanish as well as English.

I notice that Israeli nationality gives you both Hebrew and Arabic too.

Remember King Eric, they always said he hadn't learnt English, although I didn't beleive it and just thought it was another aspect of his eccentricity. Personally I just think it's lazy, the commentator on the Turkey match said Kazim had been with Fenerbache for a year and playing with Turkey for over a year yet couldn't speak any Turkish at all icon_rolleyes.gif now that is just lazy.

I speak Turkish fluently and being somewhat a boff on languages, I can tell you that it is one of the hardest common languages to learn. Also, the tongue-twisting nature of the words means that a lot of people find it difficult to say even a few words.

Try saying "hastanelerinizdeydik" (we were in your hospitals :p).

• SI Staff
Originally posted by Neyles:

I've got a skillful, versatile Italian regen: He has been with me for 6 years now (first team player for 4 years) and it amazes me that he hasn't picked up any English language skills whatsoever. As of this season, he's the only Italian left in my squad.

What's the FM record for most years in a country without learning any basic language skills?

Rather than an aimless moan, why not post in the bugs forum with a save game so that we can take a look at what has happened with that particular player?

Archived