Tutoring/Training young player vs Loaning him out?

Just wondering what other people think about this, whether its more beneficial for a 17-20 yr old to stay at the club, be tutored by an experienced player, train him accordingly, and involve him in the odd 1st team game. Or loan him out for a season to a lower league team where he WILL play week in week out. I personally prefer loaning some players out, but others like Lukaku can usually come straight in and make an impact.

If I've got someone who's 16-17, with great promise, and who looks like they'll reach their potential, I'll keep them at the club. If they get to 19-20, and I'm thinking they're not quite good enough to play regularly for me, but need the first team experience I'll loan them out for half a season, then re-assess them then.

People like Lukaku, wonderkids, will come straight in and be part of my squad. It's all about making sure they reach their PA for me. Someone like Lukaku, playing regularly at a club with good facilities and coaches, will almost certainly reach it.

To be honest i never seem to get my players to progress a lot when loaned out even though they play regularly, but then again i never seem to be able to find good feeder clubs.. if they are U-21,U-19 internationals i'd rather leave them at my club since they will get match experience from those internationals games and involve them on the occasional cup or easy home fixture.

Just wondering what other people think about this, whether its more beneficial for a 17-20 yr old to stay at the club, be tutored by an experienced player, train him accordingly, and involve him in the odd 1st team game. Or loan him out for a season to a lower league team where he WILL play week in week out. I personally prefer loaning some players out, but others like Lukaku can usually come straight in and make an impact.

Before they get a professional contract, I use the time to tutor them and let them play reserves and U-18 matches. Once they reach 17 and become pros I start loaning them out. But since the games they play while loaned out are essential to their CA gain, it is also important that their mental stats like Determination, Professionalism and Ambition are not too low, as they affect the CA gain through match experience. So if you have a 17-year old Unambitious youngster, you might want to have him tutored until he gains some Ambition before sending him out on loan.

Who knows...

U18-19 football is rarely competitive enough to be beneficial to a talented youngster, but loan spells seldom work either... Even when he gets adequate amounts of first-team football, he'll come back from the loan unchanged or with marginal improvements (likely in areas you couldn't care less about).

To be honest I can count on the fingers of one hand the Hot Prospects who turned out as good as they were expected to be...

In truth a fair share of the blame must be put on the not-so-good newgen system. Plenty of newgens are given sky-high PA but abysmal mental traits and/or horribly unbalanced starting attributes... So many 4* PA youngster won't stand a chance no matter what, as they're too lazy/unprofessional to make it. Or are just "potentially talented" in the same way Wayne Rooney could have "potentially" become a college professor...

So I'd just keep the decent youngsters (those whose octagon is somehow coherent to their position...) at the club. The rest can either enjoy the best days of their career in the youth team or get loaned out... They'll end up in lower leagues or on the free agents list anyway.

i find that both methods seem to work, but if a player isn't ready to play regularly in my first team i aim to send them out on loan to get match practice. i have a few good younsters in my first team who aren't quite as good as my starting 11 but they get plenty of game time and are tutored by my star players. 4 seasons in they are on a par with my better players now

Archived