Why do defenders always fire the ball out for corners?!

:mad:

All I needed in my last game of the Eurocup group stage was a draw to advance. I played a conservative controlling style and the score was tied 1-1 in the 94th minute. My central defender, best defender on my squad and the captain of the Romanian national team makes a brilliant interception on a cross and all he needs to do is kick the ball downfield and that should run out the clock. Instead he turns with the ball all the way around and fires it out of the back near the goal giving the other team a corner kick and of course they score and the game ends before the next kickoff.

At the end of the game his rating is 7.3?!?! What?! How can he get such a high rating when he made a mistake that cost us the game? Does anyone else have their defenders constantly giving up corners for no reason at all?

I'll put this one down as arant because you can't seriously justify that defenders are always putting it out for a corner off the back of one incident. Its pretty frustrating when it happens but i'm playing at a semi-professional level in fm 11 atm and it certainly doesn't happen all the time.

I agree with this. I don't see it all the time but I see it in enough situations that tells me it's just the game being a game. For example after a furious rush by Burnley, my Full-back gets possession of the ball on the left wing. He has plenty of time to take a dribble and is all alone for a good 10-15 yards. However, he simply turns around and boots it out for a corner. If he had put it out for a throw I would have never thought a thing of it.

Corners are important parts of a football match, and in FM11, even FM10 I have seen players happy to concede corners instead of throws. This has always been a pet peeve of mine with the series, but It's nothing too serious, just a little annoying and unrealistic.

My biggest gripe on this topic is when the opposition get a throw in in my half. Then an opposition player stays near my goal line (near the corner flag) and my player's don't go anywhere near him. Then the opposition throw-in taker just plays a throw to him as he is always free. Its as if my player's are playing the offside or something. And this has on a regular basis. Very annoying.

I'll put this one down as arant because you can't seriously justify that defenders are always putting it out for a corner off the back of one incident. Its pretty frustrating when it happens but i'm playing at a semi-professional level in fm 11 atm and it certainly doesn't happen all the time.

Well I didn't say it happens all the time now did I. I did say it happens constantly for no reason. If the defender was being harried, I wouldn't complain about it, but when he has not one attacker withing 10 yards of him and two teammates within an easy passing distance and the option to pass it long, I think it is extremely frustrating to just turn around and kick it out for a corner.

Well I didn't say it happens all the time now did I. I did say it happens constantly for no reason. If the defender was being harried, I wouldn't complain about it, but when he has not one attacker withing 10 yards of him and two teammates within an easy passing distance and the option to pass it long, I think it is extremely frustrating to just turn around and kick it out for a corner.

Well the title of the thread does say "Always".

Anyway, I have seen it happened a few times and is quite annoying!

Sounds like a simple situation of a player panicking to me.

Corners are important parts of a football match, and in FM11, even FM10 I have seen players happy to concede corners instead of throws.

Since players don't seem to bother marking from throw ins I'm not sure this is a bad thing...

It's not panic - as far as I can tell there's no reason for it. I see it at least once a game and it really annoys me. I'm pretty solid with my defending from corners but I still concede a lot more than I should thanks to this bizarre behaviour.

if you see this recurring and the defender kicking the ball out despite not being under any pressure then report it in the bug thread with PKM files to allow SI to look into this in more detail.

Or more likely its due to the mentality settings of the defender being too low, resulting in a "anywhere will do" safety first approach.

Archived