An statistical analysis of the first 25 games of a season

So, there are many threads in which people seem to complain about results, or CCC or whatever, so I thought I would analyse the stats of my first 25 games. This includes 17 EPL games, 7 Europa League and 1 Carling Cup, with Aston Villa. I will not post every single little detail, but feel free to request any details you may find interesting.

So, the stats:

Pld 25 W 20 D 2 L 3

Total goals for: 52

Total goals against: 21

ratio for:against : 2.57

Goals/game for: 2.16

Goals/game against: 0.84

Average rating for: 7.13

Average rating against: 6.66

goals/shot (%) for: 21.1

goals/shot (%) against: 10.2

goals/CCC (%) for: 94.7

goals/CCC (%) against: 52.5

shots on target (%) for: 44.5

shots on target (%) against: 42.0

CCC/shots (%) for: 22.2

CCC/shots (%) against: 19.5

A selection of stats there. What does this say about the game? Well it says obvious things actually, such as if you convert CCC you win games. I guess the reason I post this, and indeed did this is as a way of checking how well I was performing in certain areas, and I thought it may be of general interest. Certain stats are going to be slightly skewed from the analysis I did, as not all goals are from CCC, so the goals/CCC will be slightly overestimated. As a disclaimer, this is not in any way about bragging, or showing off, or whatever. Just generally thought some people might be interested in this, since I rarely see people actually analysing their performance (for good reason I guess, I admit to geekiness here)

Anything else people would like to know?

Your CCC conversion is immense. I was going to say just because you have 5 CCC in the post match stats and you score 5 goals does not mean the CCC rate is 100% as some goals could be long rangers or a player misses a simple chance - but you have already mentioned that. So as a rule of thumb then if you have 100 CCC then you will score 95 goals (I don't mean given 100 CCC you convert 95% of them, but given the matches then you are averaging just under a game every CCC that takes place in the game) on the face of that is very good. I don't know what mine is, but I would think it is certainly below 0.75. And that is being very generous.

I did my own anaylsis and posted in a thread the other day, with very similar results. People get a couple of games where they have 8 CCCs and don't score and think the game is cheating them, but they seem to forget all the times they score without many CCCs and the amount of CCCs the oppo are missing. The only way to clear it up is with a bit of analysis, but the people who whinge about this won't accept these facts we have given them, they will just keep whingeing.

goals scored and conceded from corners is hard to get from stats in a meaningful way without checking every goal. I can do goals/corner but it will be pretty much meaningless. I will keep this up through the season though and record thing like that as i go. Here are cards and penalty stats

Total yellow cards for: 32

Total yellow cards against: 43

yellows/game for: 1.28

yellows/game against: 1.72

total red cards for: 2

total red cards against: 4 (all 6 red cards were straight, noone has gotten two bookings for or against me yet).

reds/game for: 0.08

reds/game against: 0.16

Total pentalties for: 4

Total penalties against: 1

penalties scored for: 4

penalties scored against: 0

This doesnt include a penalty shootout defeat to Middlesbrough, which finished 4-2 to them.

I would love to have CCC stats to show where i drew or lost after having many but i just dont. I have had 6 in a game twice. The first in a 6-3 away win to west ham on the first day of the season, the second in a 4-1 home win against Dnipro in the Europa League.

I had 7 CCC against me when I played Man Utd, and lost 2-0 away, but Rooney was unbelievable in that game - unplayable. I did however beat Arsenal 1-0 at home, I had 0 CCC they had 3. I only had 1 shot on goal too. It was a good smash and grab.

Tactics-wise - I play a 4-4-2, my wide midfielders being wingers. 1 striker is a target man 1 is a poacher. Balanced mentality, short passing and high pressing game. I find that it isn't so much initial tactic that wins a game but how you adapt it during a game. I usually watch the whole match as this is the only way I can get a true picture of what is happening.

Finally the goals/CCC stat will always overestimate because you don't score every single one. But you would expect that it would overestimate in about the same manner for most players and for the A.I. and so is meaningful as a comparison. I shall see how easy it is to measure CCCs that actually lead to goals in games whilst playing.

Archived