The offside rule!!??

How does it work in the game?!?!?

I ask as I just lost in the last minute to Barnsley when Andy Gray, who was a good 5 metres offside, is played through on goal, although he doesn't touch the ball, he chases the punt and causes Lee Camp, my GK, to come out and clear it straight to their left winger who smashes it into the empty net. Surely Gray was interfering with play!!

The most annoying thing was my players didn't bother making an issue of it and Andre Marriner apparently had a good game according to the post match screen, and then nothing about it after the game... It's like I'm the only one who noticed the offside!

This is an image of when the ball was played (Gray is number 27) ----> http://img146.imageshack.us/i/offside.png/

Is this a bug?? or is the offside rule too hard to program?? Whichever it has massively harmed my Play-off chase :mad:

Rant over!!

P.S. This is the first thing I've noticed that has massively harmed my game, I think this is the best FM so far so don't get me wrong and think I'm complaining for the hell of it like most people seem to be doing.

I understand things like this happen IRL but it's normally raised as an issue afterwards through the press by players, managers, pundits etc., which hasn't happened here which has annoyed me most. If it had been and I could have had a go at the ref through a press conference it would have seemed less annoying and I could of let it go but it wasn't even mentioned and not even the opportunity to go to a press conference tells me that the game sees this event as acceptable...

And I know it was my GK's fault but obviously if he hadn't rushed out Gray would of had a CCC which he probably would of scored. It is still offside which is my point he shouldn't have needed to rush out and I should have had a free kick near the half way line.

yeah mate no one gave you an answer to your question. i've just completed my refs course and yes that would be offside. the minute the ball is played to andy gray & he chases it down hes offside. the assistant should flag. it's a wait and see situation for them as soon the ball is played and he chases it down the assitant should flag the fact he didnt get there is immaterial. your at the hands of a shocker. however if there were 2 players andy gray and another attacker and the ball could have been played to either the assitant would wait and only if andy gray touches the ball is he offside. im not telling you my opinion because in my opinion he should be offside for as you say interfering with the goalkeeper but that's the law.

Offside has been implemented terribly in the ME for sometime- yet rather than fix it the excuse that "people make mistakes" was rolled out.

But this year we have the addition of the offside lines and the mistakes are much finer and less clearcut in previous versions- a definite improvement imo.

so do you expect the referee to get every decision correct and never make a mistake?

why would you expect such perfection from referees and not your players? does anyone in here criticise their players when they miss a shot, or play a poor pass, or miss a tackle? i could go on, but football is decided by mistakes. not one goal has been scored EVER without there being a mistake by somebody in the build-up, be it a mistimed tackle to poor positioning.

as i mentioned earlier if the OP thinks it is a bug then post it in the bug forum but whether it is or not, there has to be a margin for error with the officials otherwise this element of the game is not realistic

your right Eugene, which is kind of my point... if I scored a goal like this and none of there players appealed and nothing was mentioned after the match then I would of naturally assumed it was close and my player was onside as I wouldn't have paid to much attention to where the striker started from, but as it happened against me I noticed where he started (he also didn't come back onside) and I went back to double check as I do with even close ones that are onside.

Also as I said in an earlier post the annoying thing isn't the goal standing, I can cope with referee's making mistakes, but the fact that no-one seemed to care but me, no protests from my players, no news item about it and no opportunity to bash the ref afterwards in a press conference, which tells me this goal is deemed acceptable by the rules of FM.

I'm sorry, but I just don't buy the "working as intended" replies to the OP.

I've watched offsides with some interest as IMO they've never got them quite right in any of the series.

Yes, there are clearly intentional refereeing mistakes - I like that element. But there is also the fact that coding the offside rule must be a pain in the butt. It seems to me that it is based on whether the player who's offside gets a touch and then the game checks if was offside at the point the pass was made. I've had some awful situations from this, where a player is obviously interfering and yet no flag goes up. Conversely, I;ve also had some really stupid calls when a player is lying injured in the box and a ball cannons off him and the offside flag goes.

There also seems to be no 'phasing' to offsides, as there are in the FIFA rules i.e. a player can be offside at the original pass, then go onside to receive a second ball.

I could rant for ages about this as I always play one stiker on the defenders' shoulders, but I just have to suck it up as 'bad refereeing' when it is clear to me to be unrealistic coding.

I have some sympathy with SI, as I said, it must be a pain to code, but nevertheless IMO they haven't got it right yet.

Archived