Todays rant - Don't tell me the AI does not cheat!

I just played Arsenal (my team was the 'mighty' Derby). Having given my team a rousing pre-match talk that Henry The Fifth would have been proud of, we stormed at the Gooners and a flowing move down the left side was followed by a textbook cross which was majestically turned in by my magical Scandanavian (Helsted). I had set my tactics to 4-1-3-2 with heavy emphasis on defence for all but 4 of my team, the '4' being set to fairly normal play. For 5 minutes the Gooners passed the ball around a bit without getting near my goal, They then got a corner after a long shot was deflected out by one of my team. The resulting corner was then turned into my net by one of my best defenders. Annoying, but hey-ho 1-1 is pretty good I thought. I kept the score like this until very late in the 1st half. The referee then decided to award a penalty when, from what I could see on my screen, the 'fouled' player was at least 5 yards outside the box. 1-2 Grrrrrrrr!!!! Never mind, at half time I tinkered to be a little more attacking and lo & behold about 20 mins in we scored an absolute belter on the break (Kenny Miller took it beautifully - dubious I know but at least it was a 'proper' goal). Immediately from the restart Arsenal wandered up the field and were promptly awarded ANOTHER penalty, which the commentary again queried as highly dubious. 2-3 I should be sorry to say that at this point I said a few swear words and quit the game without finishing the match. However, I did and I am not sorry.

I just played Arsenal (my team was the 'mighty' Derby). Having given my team a rousing pre-match talk that Henry The Fifth would have been proud of, we stormed at the Gooners and a flowing move down the left side was followed by a textbook cross which was majestically turned in by my magical Scandanavian (Helsted). I had set my tactics to 4-1-3-2 with heavy emphasis on defence for all but 4 of my team, the '4' being set to fairly normal play. For 5 minutes the Gooners passed the ball around a bit without getting near my goal, They then got a corner after a long shot was deflected out by one of my team. The resulting corner was then turned into my net by one of my best defenders. Annoying, but hey-ho 1-1 is pretty good I thought. I kept the score like this until very late in the 1st half. The referee then decided to award a penalty when, from what I could see on my screen, the 'fouled' player was at least 5 yards outside the box. 1-2 Grrrrrrrr!!!! Never mind, at half time I tinkered to be a little more attacking and lo & behold about 20 mins in we scored an absolute belter on the break (Kenny Miller took it beautifully - dubious I know but at least it was a 'proper' goal). Immediately from the restart Arsenal wandered up the field and were promptly awarded ANOTHER penalty, which the commentary again queried as highly dubious. 2-3 I should be sorry to say that at this point I said a few swear words and quit the game without finishing the match. However, I did and I am not sorry.

I've seen really dubious penalties and cards, but they usually end up in my favor . . . But I've seen bad games. The worst was the match in which five players got red carded . . . A combined 5 red cards and eleven yellow cards were shown. The majority of them were mine, even though I specifically set my tactics for my players to back off. Thankfully, I managed to draw the match.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Poor Jewell:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DJdeMarco:

The AI does not cheat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's right, though. It really doesn't.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike7077:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Poor Jewell:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DJdeMarco:

The AI does not cheat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's right, though. It really doesn't. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know, I did say it was a rant! icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by isuckatfm:

Instead of opening new threads everytime you need to vent try posting in here

http://community.sigames.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/521102691/m/5712099753

I think we know who the attention seeker is art smarse

Unless of course you start new rant threads because you like the attention icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> originally posted by Poor Jewell:-

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by isuckatfm:

Instead of opening new threads everytime you need to vent try posting in here

http://community.sigames.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/521102691/m/5712099753

I think we know who the attention seeker is art smarse

Unless of course you start new rant threads because you like the attention icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You got me there icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gunnerfan:

You were Derby and lost to Arsenal?

Shocking. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I put the word 'rant' in the subject box. If you don't want to read rants then don't bother. My point was that I was frustrated, that's all. MOST people seem to get that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gunnerfan:

You were Derby and lost to Arsenal?

Shocking. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I put the word 'rant' in the subject box. If you don't want to read rants then don't bother. My point was that I was frustrated, that's all. MOST people seem to get that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Claiming the AI "cheats" when in fact it delivers a perfectly normal and predictable result is the quintessence of silliness. Not worth a rant.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kriss:

I thought it was a normal post match article by Alex Ferguson at first.

Your complaint appears on the back pages every Sunday icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gificon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Arsenal are always ridiculously good in FM. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And IRL? Yeah, you're right, they are rubbish! icon_razz.gif

The issue isn't so much that the AI cheats (which it doesn't), just that it conjures up results in bizarre manners at times. Too mnay occasions when you batter the opposition only for them to get a freak goal / penalty / deflection etc...

If in the game that the original poster is referring to Arsenal had scored a couple of 'normal' goals and had reltively equal chances (or at least proportionate to the difference in class between the teams) then people wouldn't rant so much.

That said, it does happen IRL where a team gets battered and still steals the win......but once a season tops.....not every third game. icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Neji:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Arsenal are always ridiculously good in FM. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And IRL? Yeah, you're right, they are rubbish! icon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As good as they are IRL, you have to admit, they are a damn sight better in game. I mean, (from checking the editor) how does Kolo Toure only have a dirtiness rating of 7? And why-oh-why is Jens Lehmann's eccentricity ratin only 13??? Or why Robin van Persie not have 'Argues with officials' ticked in Preferred moves? For that matter, why don't the entire Chelsea team have that particular option ticked?

So, if Arsenal's goals were scored in more conventional matter, you wouldn't dispute the result. That gets back to the issues with the match engine, which have been well documented and (I hope) addressed when 8.0.2 comes out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is my point really. I don't expect teams never to get penalties against me or to never score an own goal but as my tactics were somewhat surprisingly effective versus Arsenal, to have them effectively given 3 goals was just a tad exasperating. If it only happened once in a while in the game I would not get so peeved but 'once in a season' incidents seem to happen every other week in the game.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wylergnu:

Sounds perfectly normal to me. The small teams always get screwed over when playing against the big teams. Jamie Carragher must make 2 or 3 fouls in the box every game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

True, but I still think the game engine needs a tweak downwards on the bizarre incidents front and a tad fewer "that's the first ever goal in his career" goals conceded would be appreciated.

Agreed. But the fault lies in the match engine's presentation of events, not some evil AI. Just last night, my Farsley Celtic team was defending a 2-1 lead in stoppage time. Halifax broke through my exhausted defense (condition numbers mostly in the mid-60s), caught my keeper out of position, and blasted one...right off the crossbar. Graeme Law, my right fullback, promptly put the ball "into Row Z", and the match ended a few moments later. I held on to the 3 points.

Did the AI cheat itself?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wylergnu:

Sounds perfectly normal to me. The small teams always get screwed over when playing against the big teams. Jamie Carragher must make 2 or 3 fouls in the box every game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

True, but I still think the game engine needs a tweak downwards on the bizarre incidents front and a tad fewer "that's the first ever goal in his career" goals conceded would be appreciated. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No argument whatsoever.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tomtuck01:

Just sounds like another fanboy to me. icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you sound so up yourself when you make posts like that - there are quite a few pious posters on here

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by David Graham 4 Scotland:

sounds like you're the one doing the cheating </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, absolutely. I bribed the SI programmers to factor in that quirk in the match engine so it would benefit me. How awful that my scheme has been uncovered.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by David Graham 4 Scotland:

Yes, absolutely. I bribed the SI programmers to factor in that quirk in the match engine so it would benefit me. How awful that my scheme has been uncovered. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I assumed he meant me, as I am the one who quit without saving - and of course he is right but I bet Fergie would do the same IRL if he could icon_smile.gif

I played a season with Lazio and after 1/4 of those games I get this message:

"A key member of "insert opposition team" claimed that his side were fortunate to escape with a point"

He admitted they were second best throughout the game and thayt their opponents have every right to feel aggrived at their failure to win the match.

Do you know how boring and repetetive it becomes when you constantly outplays your opponents with a better team and then with worse players score at every other opportunity.

You can blame tactics, and the AI doesn't cheat, bla bla, but why is it that the AI controlled teams seem to get the perfect tactics making their players perform max vs my team. Players that would not even make the bench on my team.

And one other thing of note. Why is it that more often than not the opposition goalie has a form that says 6-5-7-6-6 before the game, and then pulls out a 8 or a 9 and a man of the match performance at a suspiciously high rate?

I agree you shouldn't win always just cause you have a better team, but when you constantly outplay the opposition game after game and if you're lucky you get a point, it becomes frustrating and boring.

Yes, absolutely. I bribed the SI programmers to factor in that quirk in the match engine so it would benefit me. How awful that my scheme has been uncovered. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I assumed he meant me, as I am the one who quit without saving - and of course he is right but I bet Fergie would do the same IRL if he could icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whew! Glad I won't have to take THAT bullet! icon_biggrin.gif

its all swings and roundabouts. i lose at home to teams in and around me but then, play a defensive 4-5-1 away at the league leaders and manage to get all three points.

it ****es me off, im tempted to quit and restart but i'd be cheating myself, if i played the game again and won.

i know i am sometimes on the 'good' end of this situation so that gets me through it....just

Archived