Striker Accuracy

ZepH

I'm managing Man Utd atm and we get a lot of shots off but our conversion rate is terrible and at times it's costing us game. A lot of these are sitters too. How do i improve their accuracy, it's not like they have poor finishing attributes.

That's Man Utd for real! Gotta make chances to miss 'em!

Scoring is not purely down to the finishing attribute. Mental ones such as composure and finishing are important.

Match prep - you can intensively prepare attacking set pieces and attacking movement. Other than that, just keep making good chances and the goals will come.

By the way, are your shots from distance? Tweak your tactics to create better and more varied chances; maybe 'work the ball into the box' if too many are from outside the box.

That's Man Utd for real! Gotta make chances to miss 'em!

Scoring is not purely down to the finishing attribute. Mental ones such as composure and finishing are important.

Match prep - you can intensively prepare attacking set pieces and attacking movement. Other than that, just keep making good chances and the goals will come.

By the way, are your shots from distance? Tweak your tactics to create better and more varied chances; maybe 'work the ball into the box' if too many are from outside the box.

I'm pretty sure if you ask your players not to shoot from distance they still will, I am sure that's a small bug in the match engine still.

I'm pretty sure if you ask your players not to shoot from distance they still will, I am sure that's a small bug in the match engine still.

It's not a bug! The players shoot from distance even with long shots set to rarely because of two reasons - PPM shoots from distance or flaws in tactics. If the player has the PPM, ask him to unlearn it, because he will continue to take shots, it's a favorite thing of his. If players don't have the PPM, it's your tactics. The player who shoots doesn't have (enough) passing options in the final third and therefore chooses to shoot. Get more players to join the attacks, for example your full backs. Also try getting players with more creativity or train them in the 'attacking' category to increase it, creative players "see" more passing options.

It's both but I'm more concerned about the ones where they are inside the box and it's 1vs1 vs the keeper and they miss the goal completely.... I see these a lot especially games where I have 20+ shots on goal and it's frustrating as quite often the game will end up in a draw even though i completely dominated the match. Yet i should i won easily if not for my strikers missing those sitters.

Btw I realise there will be matches like these occasionally but it is happening way too often.

It's not a bug! The players shoot from distance even with long shots set to rarely because of two reasons - PPM shoots from distance or flaws in tactics. If the player has the PPM, ask him to unlearn it, because he will continue to take shots, it's a favorite thing of his. If players don't have the PPM, it's your tactics. The player who shoots doesn't have (enough) passing options in the final third and therefore chooses to shoot. Get more players to join the attacks, for example your full backs. Also try getting players with more creativity or train them in the 'attacking' category to increase it, creative players "see" more passing options.

Slowing the tempo down also helps reduce long shots.

It's both but I'm more concerned about the ones where they are inside the box and it's 1vs1 vs the keeper and they miss the goal completely.... I see these a lot especially games where I have 20+ shots on goal and it's frustrating as quite often the game will end up in a draw even though i completely dominated the match. Yet i should i won easily if not for my strikers missing those sitters.

Btw I realise there will be matches like these occasionally but it is happening way too often.

Is there any indication, that your strikers are complacent/have low morale/suffer a goal drought? Perhaps some private chats relating to their recent condition and recent matches or individual team talks could help them getting fired-up. If there are no signs of problems, try demanding more from them.

If you set long shots to never, the only reason they will still shoot from distance is because it's the only possible option available to the player given you're playing a direct high-tempo tactic.

It is not a bug.

Missing sitters... it can be a lot of things, maybe an ME bug but I doubt it. I have a guy with 5% finishing yet he's still got a 53% on target rate!

Can you post a screenshot of your players Statistics column on the player screen (the one that shows goals, assists, yellow cards etc.)

In real life plenty of players will be told to never bother with long shots. Even then, when a ball drops to a right back 30 yards out he will sometimes hit it.

Many players never score but no player will never shoot.

Steffan Freund, Dider Zokora, I think they never scored for Spurs, but still had shots.

I have told both my CM not to try long shots, and on the whole they don't because they have other options. There are always 2 wingers in front of them and 2 strikers, and with me playing to 'Exploit the Flanks' and to 'Work Ball in to Box' the players usually play a through ball to the strikers or knock it out wide for a cross.

Occasionally, yes, they will shoot but I think you need to look first at what other options your players have, and how often they do what you want as opposed to what you don't want. I reckon 1 long shot is taken for every 4/5 chances we create in other ways.

Archived