*Expressionless face*

Interesting that you DON'T highlight the fact you had 9 long shots and only 5 on target for that game.

Atalanta shut you out, your team were complacent and didn't turn up and they caught you on the break.

To quote Tom Jones, "it's not unusual".

Interesting that you DON'T highlight the fact you had 9 long shots and only 5 on target for that game.

Atalanta shut you out

Why did I have 3 CCCs then?

3 CCCs is enough to win any game by anyones standards. For a top team under 50% shots as long shots, is decent as well. I was by no means shut down. I created 3 fantastic chances, some more half chances. Any one of those 9 long shots could have gone in.

I'm not struggling in the league yet. 1 point off the top after 7 games. I am worried though because I can't really be affording to drop easy points. I'll inevitably lose the big games and these drop points will come back to haunt me.

It's the combination of the whole thing.

I had lots of shots. A decent amount on target, a decent amount of CCCs. At home. Much better team. They have 1 shot the entire game, and it goes in, and I have to settle for a point, when I need 3, and deserve 3. And the exact same thing happened the game before where I drew 3-3 when I had 4 CCCs, and they only had 1.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not declaring it a major travesty. It's just pretty annoying when you only get 2 points out 6 despite spending 180 minutes battering teams.

Unfortunately, this sort of thing happens in football. Just look at Birmingham 1-0 Chelsea, the stats were completely one sided in Chelsea's favour but Birmingham got the win. The same thing nearly happened in the following game against Zilina but a late goal saved them.

Personally, I wouldn't worry unless it was happening so often that is was seriously damaging my league position. If I was expecting to challenge for the title but was sitting in mid table then I'd start to question my tactics/players.

If I was expecting to challenge for the title but was sitting in mid table then I'd start to question my tactics/players.

I agree with the idea it could be a problem with player's morale/complacency, but the number of people saying missing a load of CCC is a tactics problem seems like total fanboyism to me. Personally I don't really have a problem with it, it pretty much balances out over a season in my experience, but the idea that your tactics are wrong when you are creating chance after chance is pretty odd. I suppose you could try swapping strikers/midfielders if you are getting players constantly getting chances on the wrong foot.

I agree with the idea it could be a problem with player's morale/complacency, but the number of people saying missing a load of CCC is a tactics problem seems like total fanboyism to me. Personally I don't really have a problem with it, it pretty much balances out over a season in my experience, but the idea that your tactics are wrong when you are creating chance after chance is pretty odd. I suppose you could try swapping strikers/midfielders if you are getting players constantly getting chances on the wrong foot.

I'm not trying to say that the conversion rate or the definition for CCC's is perfect, but I've always found that by altering my tactics to create a greater variety of chances can improve the conversion rate of the chances I create. For example, if playing through the centre using through balls to send strikers through one on one doesn't get the results, I might look to attack through the wings and get crosses into the box instead.

Never been called a fanboy before, that's a first :cool:

Never been called a fanboy before, that's a first :cool:

I didn't actually call you a fanboy, I've spent enough time on the forums here to know you aren't.

I would have though creating similar chances time and again would be better than creating a variety of chances, as the players get used to the type of chance created they would be more comfortable finishing them.

capturevm.jpg

Wouldn't mind as much if I didn't throw away a 2 goal lead in the last game in similar circumstances. It's getting beyond a joke. Yes, these things do happen IRL, but not every week.

Personally I think these guys are being very nice to you Sheva.

You've had a number of threads over the last few weeks and its become very clear that you don't understand the finer points of the game.

In your example 50% of your shots were from distance while only 28% overall were on target. Despite your "dominance" (due to Atalanta parking the bus) possession was only slightly in your favour (53%-47%) while your players average rating is only slightly higher than the opposition (6.96 to 6.84). Yes you created 3 CCCs and you've pointed out that it takes you more CCCs than the AI to score on average but this just serves to add weight to your tactics/teamtalks etc being less effective than they could be.

In football the first goal is very important and I suspect Atalanta scored first on the break then defended their lead.

I also suspect, like many users, that you associate dominance/winning with lots of attacking and the sliders pushed far to the right which encourages a quick, direct game. This is where your problem lies, against defensive sides you need to keep possession, work the ball, drag the opposition around to make space, give your players time to find the killer pass that leads to that clean chance.

I would have though creating similar chances time and again would be better than creating a variety of chances, as the players get used to the type of chance created they would be more comfortable finishing them.

Possibly, but I've never really had much success like that. I always try to give my team as many routes to goal as possible, which might be why the goals are so spread out between my players and I don't have much luck getting one striker to score a lot.

It also means that my tactics never seem to become redundant after a patch since I don't look to exploit a particular weakness in the ME that may get fixed, such as being able to send a striker clean through on goal time after time.

As said in other threads.. the game also classifies(spelling?) chances as CCC that aren't really clear.. headers from difficult angles, shots just entering the box,etc

Even though i still miss some one-on-ones, having my striker learn "places shots","avoids using weaker foot"(only his right foot is decent) and to round the keeper(i've observed happening a few times) made all the difference in the world to me he went from not being able to hit a barn's door to the top scorer in the league and europe.

Specially place shots if the striker got top technique and composure.. it shows the message "placed finish" all the time now!

And there's no point putting crosses into small players that are awful in the air. Nor is there any point trying to play through balls to a lumbering striker like Toni.

Of course, you need to keep things sensible. If I were you, I'd look at where all those long shots were taking place and why the possession was not more in your favour. It looks like you a much better passing team than them so perhaps holding on to the ball for a bit longer and trying to work it into the box would help?

I'm not sure why my possesion wasn't higher. They only had one half chance the entire game. I thinnk they must have been playing it around the back 4 for ages. They didn't even take a long shot or anything.

And you guys are all just saying contradicitng things. If I'd tried to really dominate possession, then I knwo for a fact what would have happened. We'd have just taken loads more long shots. Thats what happens. There's no way of having loads of possesion and minimal long shots against poor teams. The facts are, I still created more than enough chances to win.

Just watched a bit more of the game actually. Must have been some sort of team talk thing even though they all had good morale and that anyway. Atalanta spent the whole game passing it around side to side with the rare forward pass being intercepted. And my team spent most of the game making terrible decisions and thus not creating as much chances as they could have.

Why did I have 3 CCCs then?

3 CCCs is enough to win any game by anyones standards. For a top team under 50% shots as long shots, is decent as well. I was by no means shut down. I created 3 fantastic chances, some more half chances. Any one of those 9 long shots could have gone in.

I'm not struggling in the league yet. 1 point off the top after 7 games. I am worried though because I can't really be affording to drop easy points. I'll inevitably lose the big games and these drop points will come back to haunt me.

So, Netherlands is the world champion? They had 3 CCC in the final match. Still lost 1-0...

so ither the real world is bugged too, or 3 CCCs are definetly not enough to win a match ALWAYS.

A few.

The main problem is the way that we don't score enough. We should be having 4-3 thrillers more often with the players I have and the tactics I employ. But for some reason its usually more of a 1-0, 1-1, 2-1 affair. The high scoring games only come when both sets of defenders start doing ridiculous things.

2nd season. A few new signings. Match Prep is high for the formation but I change the width and temp a lot in line with the opposition.

Main problem is defence doing silly things like giving away pens or letting an awful player score a slide tackle goal from a corner. Then my attackers either miss open goals or wander around doing nothing. Still unbeaten, but its just a bit annoying.

I ALWAYS put it on attacking movement, ever since I started because I had this same problem on all FM games really. Never enough attacking flair for my liking no matter who I have in the team.

Exact same thing nearly happened just now but I got an 83rd minute winner. Their goalkeeper got MotM and an assist thanks to a huge goal kick.

I see plenty of people complaining about stuff like the OP. Funny thing is, this can often happen in my favour.

For instance, just recently, I played a match where the other team had 4 cccs, 56% possession, 13 corners and they hit the woodwork 4 times. Final score? 1-0 to my team. :D

I like to think that in some weird parallel universe, the AI from that game is on a forum somewhere with an 'expressionless face' saying that 'it's getting beyond a joke'. :p

• 4 weeks later...

When my boys are taking too many long range shots, I generally use the touchline shout "work it into the box". That generally tends to reduce the number of long-range bombs and increase the number of good scoring chances. However, have to watch out: it also means they stop letting go from distance and that means I don't get any lovely screamers into the top-90. :(

Personally, I think Sheva should upload the save and let some of the more experienced players here look at it and offer advice. IF, after that advice is offered, he finds the tactical changes that would produce better results unrealistic, he can have a debate about that. That's a debate I think a lot of people would enjoy, and there would be speakers lined up at both podiums! :)

statsea.png

Come on everyone...lets see if we can guess the scores of these games....

Match 1: Apatit @ Neman

4:0

Match 2: Apatit @ Gorod

3:1

Match 3: Apatit @ Volkhov

4:0

It is your tactics, if you play proper football with a range of possible chances created (as dafuge has said), you win comfortably when you deserve to, there will be that occasional unlucky game, but ylou won't be producing more CCCs than you should. I really think almost every single one of these threads and the moaners in them is full of terrible tactics that are creating CCCs, but that's it...I have seen some terrible misses in my game, but I don't see these "constant" results where I produce 4-8 CCCs and then lose...

For a top team under 50% shots as long shots, is decent as well. I was by no means shut down. I created 3 fantastic chances, some more half chances. Any one of those 9 long shots could have gone in.

I'm sorry - but if you really believe this, then you need to change your tactics in a big way.

Let me post my last few games stats for total shots, long shots and possession: (playing as West Ham in season 3 - won the league last year and leading this year after 10 games - so probably with teams playing against me in similar ways than against you)

Match 1: Total Shots 10, On target 8, CCC 4, Long Shots 1, possession 63% - score 3-0

Match 2: Total Shots 16, On target 11, CCC 6, Long shots 1, possession 61% - score 7-0 (v Bayern Munich)

Match 3: Total Shots 13, On target 8, CCC 2, Long shots 2, possession 57% - score 4-0

Match 4: Total shots 19, on target 12, CCC 10, long shots 3, possession 59% - score 3-2 (my under 18's playing in Carling Cup)

Match 5: Total shots 17, on taget 6, CCC 3, long shots 2, possession 55% - score 1-1 (my reserves v West Brom)

Match 6: Total shots 17, on target 9, CCC 5, long shots 2, possession 56% - score 5-1 (away v Bayern Munich)

So total shots: 92, on target 54, CCC 30, long shots 11, possession 58%.

So you CAN have a lot of possession, create lots of CCC's and yet not have to resort to long shots

Thus - to use the old cliche - it really IS your tactics.

Archived