Idea: Stadium Editor

Hi,

I would like to be able to edit the way stadiums look in 3d so that they can be made to look a bit like the real stadium of a certain club. An idea maybe for in the pre-game Editor?

Choices for stand types, roof types, terraces, capacity, open corners, closed corners, those sorts of things.

I dont know how it is in the PremierLeague as I only play lower league at the moment (often with redicilously large stands/stadiums by the way), but it would be a bit odd if Old Trafford has open corners in FM while Villa has closed (rounded) ones, that sort of thing. Distinctive stands like at Crewe (one large and high main stand and the rest pretty small and low), Bristol Rovers (narrow main stand with small uncobvered terraces or grass banks at the sides) etc could be made like the real thing (keeping capacity in mind). At non league level for example I would expect a small main stand and nothing, people standing behind the advertisements. Maybe the possibility to change seat colours aswell, maybe even text on the stands like Holte End at Villa, or Ha'way the Lads at Sunderland.

I can imagine it wolud maybe be too much to ask for of SI to make every managable club have a stadium that looks like the real deal, so let us edit them for ourselves (making stadium-packs to be uploaded, which can be imported into the game, jsut like with league expansions or logo-packs).

Idea for the next FM (or next patch!)?

I was expecting some negative reactions on graphic 'nonsense' (or fluff) ;-).

I just feel that if SI makes the effort to graphically enhance the game, they should do it well, and no half job. The stadiums are a nice addition (to FM10 that is, FM11 is pretty much the same), but could be much better imo (an editable stadium seems a relatively easy addition as the different types of stands exist in the game already).

The same goes for the surroundings of the stadium. If you only add 3 different surroundings they could just as easily have left this feature out if you ask me, fluff is a correct description for that matter.

I agree with you that SI should market a well tested game, and not use the buyers as free testers. Too many things dont work or dont work correctly, but it's hard for me to judge them or the significance of them as I've only played one full season, and never use things like set-piece-editors. What I háve seen are the shortcomings in the graphical department, which I think could easily be enhanced (so not too much time 'wasted'). Shame on me perhaps...

They are when things don't get fixed and they offer no real value, just fluff.

I would like a better graphics too.. but the priority should be, fixing bugs, then updating the ME graphics... stadium editing is way down the list and yes it is fluff because it has nothing at all to do with managing a team.

Maybe not with managing, but in their attempt to make everything really realistic (data ánd graphics)... I dont know about the bugs and why FM isnt tested enough, That annoys me just as much as it does you (well, maybe slightly less). But as a suggestion for a future version I think stadium editing (NOT being able to have a say in the build in-game, thats up to the directors of a club, but purely a means to customise stadiums beforehand) is a nice addition.

If you dont think that it has value is fine by me. I can get pretty annoyed if a stadium doesnt look like the real thing or a ground in Brazil is situated in a british village.. Especially because it seems relatively easy to add to the game.

I don't think SI have half-jobbed the graphics, I just think the priority has been to keep it under the 2GB RAM specifications and relative low graphics card requirement.

I really don't care what the graphics look like. I welcome 3D as an enhancement on the series but if I want to see great graphics on a footballing game, I'll play FIFA. If I want realistic (for want of a better word) management which taxes the mind, I'll load FM (or FM10; I wouldn't say FM11 taxes the mind at the moment!)

I don't think SI have half-jobbed the graphics, I just think the priority has been to keep it under the 2GB RAM specifications and relative low graphics card requirement.

As I have very low end graphics I'm really happy with the above, but I don't see why the RAM has to go up when editing the same stadium 'building blocks' that are already in the game. Graphically nothing really changes, it isnt going to be more demandig for the pc to thave this stand or that in this or that stadium is it? The stadiums are stored as they are now I would guess, so its just a change of a couple of numbers. Club X, east stand type = 1, east stand rooftype = 5, seats = yes, etc. Seems not to difficult to make editable, and no harder to process for the pc..

Same goes more or less for the surroundings I think, but I have to agree that that is of far less importance. Still it seems silly to make an effort like that and leave it at only 3 different scenes, that's all.

I'd be all for this. It would be great if we could create our own background scenes and import them, then assign them to a certain country. Same for stadiums, let us import out own models and assign them to clubs.

I agree that this kind of thing is way down the list of priorities but it would be great for modding the game and letting users improve the game in the same way that the logo and face packs do.

i like the idea a lot, would like to extend this to having dugouts in the stands like in some grounds e.g. emirates, old trafford. different coloured nets (white most common, but black fairly common, seen red and green before too)

• 3 months later...

I like the idea of editing and creating a stadium yourself in the editor it could open up and whole community of ground sharers on the web swapping stadiums etc.

I do feel the editor needs an overhaul so perhaps this should be a major new feature which comes with that.

Archived