FM08 - Heathxxx 4-3-1-2 (8.0.2) - Probably The Last Set I'll Upload For FM08

Hello Sports Fans... icon_wink.gif

Just like it says in the title, this will most likely be the last set of tactics and system that I will upload for FM08.

Reason? Basically, I'm happy with the three different tactics that I've been working on now, which I've used with a viriety of clubs throughout the world and at different levels.

Heathxxx - GRANADA Fiora2 Variant - Tactics & Instructions

United-4-1-3-1-1 v1 (8.0.1) - Tweeked for 8.0.2 by heathxxx

...and finally this, my latest offering.

The Formation

4312heathxxxNormal.png [/img]

As you can see, quite a few arrows in there. This makes my team exploit (yes, I said it...), the spaces that are hard for the opposition to defend.

I've based this tactic on a set of three options.

Normal

Not a very exciting name for it, but normal is as normal does. It's the default tactic I use when facing any team, home or away. It can also be used as a platform from which to adapt to suit your own teams and players, as the two variants were further adapted from this original formation and settings.

Here's the link to download: 4312 Heathxxx Normal

Bad Pitch

Yes, that's right, pitch conditions can make a big difference to how some tactics perform. The "Normal" tactic is based upon short passing and low tempo, which can help control possession of the ball. When there's heavy rain or muddy pitch conditions, this style of play can go completely out the window. You'll often see players passing too short.

To counter bad pitch conditions, I've upped the team passing and tempo to "default", mixed for both. The individual instructions have also been tweeked to ensure that the midfield is set to more "default" passing.

You'll still lose the ball occasionally because of the conditions, but not nearly half as much as un-tweeked, because your players will put a bit more oomph behind a pass.

No changes to the formation or arrow use, just a few changes to team and indivduals.

Here's the link to the download: 4312 Heathxxx - Bad Pitch

Defend

This may surprise a lot of people when they see that again, there's no change to the formation or arrows.

Why you ask? BecauseI fnd the biggest killer to the perfomance of a team is messing around too much with it's shape. Just don't touch the shape! icon_wink.gif

Defend works on the same principals as the "Bad Pitch" tactic, with passing and tempo set more to "default" values, though you can easily change this to lower values if you wat to retain possession more.

Individual changes are the key here again. You'll see that I've made no changes to global or team mentality, or the defensive line (both are well known to be closely linked). Only real global change here is I have counter attacking ticked and tight marking ticked.

What I have done is set full-backs and my MCd (central midfield player with no arrows), on lowest settings for forward runs, and run with ball. Both full-backs and the MCd are also set to tight mark.

You should find that this setup is then particularly effective when the AI teams go Gung-Ho against you. Wide forwards are covered by the full-backs better and your MCd will cover any AMC in their formation. There's no change to the DC's settings as invariably their strikers will still be doing the same thing they have been all game.

Anyway...

Here's the link to the download: 4312 Heathxxx Defend

Credits

Everyone who takes the time to post good tactical advice on these forums. You know who you are. icon14.gif

Usage

As you see fit. icon_wink.gif Copy them, share them, change and re-post them, have babies with them...

I don't post super tactics. I post platforms that everyone can use how they want to. Just because I've posted it, doesn't mean I'm it's sole contributor. There's a bit of everything in here. The corner setting, a rampaging AMC, plus some of my own setting preferences. All in all though, it's a pretty "classic" looking CM/FM shape is it not?

Feedback

Good or bad, let everyone know!

If you're going to take the time to post though, let it be constructive please, so others can learn from your sucess or failure. Any changes you've made, please be descriptive and explain why you've changed things.

Thanks and happy FM-ing. icon_biggrin.gif

Currently using with Granada CF in the Spanish Segunda B4, so can work with lower league teams. Currently unbeaten with this set in the first season.

I've not tested it with any big clubs, but to be honest I don't really need to. It was spawned from other tactics I use and have posted, plus pretty much any decent tactic will work with the big clubs.

The point is to use the set with whichever team you like and make any minor changes you see fit to suit your players. icon14.gif

The proof in the pudding is in the eating. icon_wink.gif No need for screen shots and results.

Looks good mate!

Can you post team and player instructions too please as us XBOX360 owners can't download the tactic and need to input all info manually.

Please help.

I will credit you on my gamertag if it works for me and you will gain international fame icon_wink.gif

I tried this formation and these are my results:

Wycombe 1-1 (h) Wycombe were wnd bottom and to be honest I was lucky to draw.

Mansfield (a) 0-1 Very poor performance hardly threatened their goal.

Walsall (h) 3-2. I was 3-0 up at half-time and I was playing brilliantly, don't know what happened in the second half!

Luton 0-0 (a) God knows how I drew this. Every highlight on the 2d pitch was them. On another day could have lost this 5-0.

Rotherham (h) 0-1 Rotherham were bottom and I was strong favourites to win but I lost.

I'm Yeovil in League Two in 2011. I can't find a tactic for my team and unfortuantly this goes down as another failed attempt. icon_frown.gif

Thanks anyway.

@ Mitja & Dirty_ACE Not seen Young Freddie's tbh...

I went back a little to an old classic CM/FM I liked to blay with the 3x CM's with the outer two farrowed to wingers and an AMC pushing forward to the striker position. There's a little RoO influence in there and the individual instructions were developed from some of my 4-4-2 variants.

I concentrated on pitch conditions with a "bad pitch" variant, because when playing a short passing, slow tempo game, the pitch conditions can make a big difference to results.

As with any set though, tweek to suit your team. The basis is there for a very good tactic. That's what this one's about.

@ teggit - have not had the time to upload the images you need yet, but will have something for the weekend set up for you. icon14.gif

@ markis_mcghee Shame you've not had the best of results. Could be the players aren't ideally suited to it, or you've been playing a system completely different and they need time to gel with it.

Sadly for many, though I don't mind it too much, the recent FM's there's alot of attention to detail needed. Try focusing on your OI's to help cover opposition players stregths and weakness' and don't forget to change any OI's accordingly, especially if man-marking, if the AI makes substitutions or shape changes. This is invariably the biggest cause of second half capitulations, along with incorrect half time team talks. Always difficult to master.

Originally posted by Dirty_ACE:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mitja:

was your formation inspired by young freddie's one icon_wink.gif

LOL, I was going to make the same comment. Looks incredibly similar. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You guys need to look a little deeper before posting. Admittedly shapes look a LITTLE alike but check instructions, style etc. before posting something like this.

Originally posted by pb_underdog:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dirty_ACE:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mitja:

was your formation inspired by young freddie's one icon_wink.gif

LOL, I was going to make the same comment. Looks incredibly similar. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You guys need to look a little deeper before posting. Admittedly shapes look a LITTLE alike but check instructions, style etc. before posting something like this. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We were simply commenting on the shape of it and nothing else. Not implying anything negative about it.

Dirty_ACE - Yeah, it's a "classic" shape that's been used many times before for this and previous releases of FM & CM. I always did like the shape personally, it's getting the more detailed team & player instructions right that's where the fun begins heh! icon_wink.gif

markis_mcghee - I like using OI personally, but there's lots of opinions out there. To have such a big feature to the game, it must have some influence, right?

The most important ones I look at are the "weaker foot" settings of OI. It's been widely discussed that changes SI have made to foot strength and attribute balancing, especially in 8.0.2 have been a big change. OI therefore, with settings for "weaker" foot are very important to help nullify the stronger foot of opponents.

Marking & closing down should be set after looking at an opposing players key attributes that pose a risk, and selecting settings that help cancel the threat. There's alot of trial and error involved, but you soon learn what works and what doesn't.

Originally posted by rick79:

I can't download the normal tactic from this link - can someone please re upload it - cheers

Try this direct link.

4312 Heathxxx Normal

If that doesn't work then try this...

Heathxxx Filefront Page

...with everything I've uploaded for FM08. The "Normal" tactic is the one at the top of the page. icon14.gif

Nice tactic, but it's incredibly inconsistent for me. Playing as MK Dons currently, my first season in Premiership. I was actually able to beat Arsenal 3:1, but a few days later lost 1:3 to Birmingham! Both at home.

Well purefun, I set this up with Granada CF in the Second Division B4, the third tier in Spain.

I don't think it matters what level you use a tactic, so long as you set it up accordingly with the players you have a your disposal.

Originally posted by heathxxx:

I don't think it matters what level you use a tactic, so long as you set it up accordingly with the players you have a your disposal.

Well okay then when i choose my team i'll let you know and you can help me accordingly. icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

Does not work very well for me, playing with Ireland versus USA in WC and they're heavily overwhelming me on shots (and thus usually goals). Other tactics tends to make it a very even match.

(I have a save-game with this specific match I tend to use for testing purposesicon_razz.gif)

Originally posted by Nogueira:

Does not work very well for me, playing with Ireland versus USA in WC and they're heavily overwhelming me on shots (and thus usually goals). Other tactics tends to make it a very even match.

(I have a save-game with this specific match I tend to use for testing purposesicon_razz.gif)

Interesting way of trying a tactic. icon_razz.gif

I always wonder when you have the farrows going out to the side on the attackers, would you then use an FR or AMR/F on the right side of the forward line and an FL or AML/F on the left side or would two central strikers work just as well?

Interested in peoples replies?

I use a pair of strikers without any problems, though I do see your point.

At the moment I have the luxury in my save of two out & out strikers, along with four other players, two who can play AMLC,SC - two who can play AMRC,SC.

I find I'm at my most dangerous when I cave the multi-roled players playing up front, swapping position with the other multi-roled players in midfield. It poses a nightmare for the AI defence to handle.

My current Granada CF has provided the most even spread of goals throughout the whole team I've yet seen with FM08. It's one of the things I enjoy most about this tactics set at the moment.

Obviously the corners "tactic" means my centre-backs score often, though not as often as one would expect. They're both on 8 goals apiece after about 25 games. My strikers aren't topping the charts by any means, but they are the top scorers in my team, but only slightly ahead of my midfielders, who are all now on double figures. Most satisfying that my team works well enough to create and score from almost any position.

The lowest scorers though, are the full-backs. Although they overlap often and do get chances, they're only on two goals each and they are from set plays.

Once I've finished my season, I'll upload the slightly tweaked version I'm using, with an overview of the players attributes I've taken advantage of with specific individual settings.

Not far from the end of my season and my team is on fire! icon_biggrin.gif

Getting some very high scoring results, whilst also conceding very few.

I've made a few subtle tweaks to individual player instructions to improve things finely to suit the role a player performs and his attributes.

I think I've now got a very balanced tactic (for my team anyway), that requires very little tweaking and is based on the "normal" tactic. I'll need to translate these over to the "defend" and the "bad pitch" variants before I post updated versions. I will however leave the original set up, and post a new "version 2" set.

When I do, look carefully at the individual player settings I've used, anyway, I'll do a full run-down of the settings in due course, but here's a taster of some of my recent results.

Granadares1.png

The only recen "blip" was the single 0-0. Unfortunately it was just one of those games. icon_wink.gif Dominated control of the match, over 20 shots on goal, about even on-target and off, whilst the opposition didn't have a single effort. I made a couple of minor changes to my settings for the AMC and strikers, thus the difference you can see in the last three results. 18 goals in 3 games. icon14.gif

Close to the end of a season, so hopefully sometime over the weekend I'll do a full run through of the tweaks and provide links for the updated set.

I want to show how I've adapted it to suit the players I have, so hopefully others will why.

Shortly. icon_wink.gif

My Granada CF team is now in the Liga BBVA, having won the Segunda B4 remaining unbeaten the entire season. The quality of the opposition my team faces is much better than those in the Segunda B4.

I wanted to play a few games into the season and see how I fare against better opposition.

Having drawn my first two league games away, at two of the strongest three opponents in this division (2-2 v Valladolid & 1-1 v Levante), I decided to curb more the adventurous nature of my team's play and go back to a "Rule of One" setting for mentality across the team, tightening things up a little better.

Since I've done this, I've won every game comfortably, with improved possession of the ball and have conceded no goals in the last five games.

The big test is my next match against Almería away. They have arguably the strongest squad in the division. Sitting top of the league on goal difference, I'm confident of a good result, but I'll let you know how things go and if I'm happy with the performance, I'll upload the amended tactic.

I have to say that I'm 99% of the time staying with the "normal" tactic, though I have changed from a short, slow tempo game, to a default mixed passing and tempo game. This helps break teams down better I'm finding.

Anyway, here's the results so far...

granadaseasonsofar.png

Note that I made the RoO change after the match against Levante.

Well, I managed to win away to Almería, but had to do it the hard way after a couple of my players had nightmare games in the second half.

Cruising 2-0 at half time, we went into the second half maintaining the same pressure as the first half. Then unfortunately, first one of my centre-backs gave the ball away allowing Almería to pull one back, then less than two minutes later my left back was pressured into a mistake which gave them the equaliser! (As they both rated 5 and 6 respectively, they will be dropped for a few matches to ponder their errors. icon_wink.gif )

I'm not one to panic though, but wanted a win rather than a draw, so I pushed mentality and defensive line up a couple of pegs higher, brought on my talismanic sub striker and hey presto!! with a minute to go and massive pressure on the Almería goal, the winner was scored. Almería 2 - Granada CF 3 icon14.gif

Here's the updated tactic.

4-3-1-2 Heathxxx (RoO Variant)

Generally speaking, the updated system is alot tighter to face stronger opposition. Obviously you can never account for critical individual errors by your players as the Almería match proved. The two errors in fact led to their only efforts on goal.

Hi - am using your tactic as Man City - and overall must say it's pretty impressive. Reasonably solid at the back and lots of forward momentum.

However I'm having trouble getting the forwards to get higher ratings than 6's and they hardly score - is this anything you noticed at all? They seem to be involved a reasonable amount and contribute a fair few passes. Any suggestions as to tweaking to get them more goals/shots etc?

Another way that may work well for your team, could be to remove the side arrows from your strikers, but extend the arrows from your MC(L) and MC® to the FL & FR positions.

In effect then, when you're on the attack, you'll have five players running to forward positions., like this...

4312variant.png

The only problem you may find with this alternative, is that you might find having the two midfielders pushing further forward leaves your team more exposed to counter-attack, though I would then remove the forward arrows from your full-backs and reduce their forward runs and run with ball to the middle of the slider.

You might also simply remove the side arrows from the strikers, thus keeping them more central. As they will always have opposing centre-backs around them though, you'll need to shorten the passing of both strikers and the AMC and also possibly raise the tempo of your team to get more one-two's and swift passing between this attacking triangle and break through the defence this way.

All this depends on who you've got playing the roles you change though. Some players will obviously be better suited than others. In all honesty, I have the FC(L) on only one goal in eight games in my second season, with the FC® on four in eight. The AMC has however scored ten in eight, with the remaining goals coming from a centre-back, five in eight and an even spread of goals amongst y midfield threesome.

Originally posted by drambuie2:

Hi - am using your tactic as Man City - and overall must say it's pretty impressive. Reasonably solid at the back and lots of forward momentum.

However I'm having trouble getting the forwards to get higher ratings than 6's and they hardly score - is this anything you noticed at all? They seem to be involved a reasonable amount and contribute a fair few passes. Any suggestions as to tweaking to get them more goals/shots etc?

The above post was in response to yours. icon14.gif

Just thought I would also add...

For the two striker positions, ideally I would suggest those with high "anticipation" attributes, along with "off the ball".

With these two key attributes, as well as moving out to their respective arrow locations, they will also look to get into scoring positions and drift back to their starting positions.

Thanks for that - those seem similar goal ratios to what i'm getting to be honest.

Also - without changing anything I've tried moving Elano in and out of the amc slot as he was - despite appearing ideal to such a role - pretty poor there. I did try sticking a free role on him which seems to get more out of him. However i've dropped him for a few games and also put Bojinov up front alongside Caceido rather than benjani and that also seems to have improved things.

Strange how sometimes the 'best' lineup doesn't work out that way.

I am impressed though overall - interesting how its solid defensively despite appearing a very attacking formation at first glance. Have found a need to switch off offside trap and drop the defensive line back against the better teams with faster attacks as they appeared to be countering effectively but overall find tweaking not needed too much - even against the 424 I don't tend to change much.

icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by drambuie2:

I am impressed though overall - interesting how its solid defensively despite appearing a very attacking formation at first glance. Have found a need to switch off offside trap and drop the defensive line back against the better teams with faster attacks as they appeared to be countering effectively but overall find tweaking not needed too much - even against the 424 I don't tend to change much.

icon_smile.gif

That's mainly down to the individual instructions I tend to set the defenders.

As you clearly understand, you will always need to make a few changes here and there to suit your own team and players.

Also, different opponents pose different problems. Many can be taken care of with opposition instructions, though your right to keep an eye on the defensive line and the offside trap. icon14.gif

As for your strikers, I would have gone for Bojinov rather than Benjani myself too. To be honest though, both players also have positional attributes for AML and AMR poitions, which in theory such help them both with the side arrow roles.

It's quite strange how players work out in different roles sometimes. I have Edison Cavani and Bogdan Stancu up-front in my team at the moment. Cavani left, Stancu right. Stancu is a competent AMR as well as a striker, whilst Cavani is a "pure" striker.

Last season, Cavani scored 21 goals in 39 games. Stancu scored only 11 in 37 games. This season they are the reverse, with Stancu scoring more goals than Cavani in exactly the same positions, with the same instructions. My midfielders weighed in with plenty of goals though, best being Lubos Kalouda, my MC® with the arrow to AMR, scoring 18 in 25 games. My MC(L) Pablo Piatti was also in double figures.

I think the key is that because you effectively have five players going forward on the attack, they should all get a good distribution of goals between them. I personally don't worry too much who scores the most goals and from where, as long as they score plenty of goals as a team. icon14.gif

A little player instruction tweek here.

When defending corners, keep both your strikers forward. You'll notice that they will both be in their wide side arrowed positions.

When opposition corners fail and the ball is cleared, there's an excellent opportunity for one of them to get the ball and run into space, creating great opportunities on the counter. icon14.gif

Hey dude.

I'm playing with Atl. Madrid.I tried your tactic and i can say that is really amazing.

I've destroyed R. Madrid 3-0 (home) and 5-1 (away) on Supercopa.

In addition my left centre back Sakho scored 11 goals in 9 matches.

Thanks for this perfect work...

Greetings from Turkey...

Greetings from Spain Kwyjibo. (I'm a British expatriate BTW). Stayed in Alanya four years ago. Lovelly place.

Glad the tactic is working out well with Atletico Madrid. If you've made any changes to any settings, please do let me know. It's always nice to see how others adapt things and can be beneficial to other people too.

Good luck with your game. icon14.gif

Archived