FM09 vs. FM11

I apologize as I'm sure this kind of question has come up a lot and people are getting annoyed. I'm just having a hard time sorting out the credible info from the biased on the forum.

I took a break from Football Manager 09 after the game seemed to get stale and I couldn't figure out how in the world to actually win. (noob I know ;))

I ran into 11 however and decided maybe I should give it a chance after seeing the qualities FM have tried to improve on (EX. training, interacting, dynamic league rep., etc.)

We all know FM isn't perfect. But is it a fun significant step-up from 09? Most important for me does it crash for most people? 09 never crashed for me and I would like to keep it that way.

I'll also download the demo to see what I think of it.

Thanks

December

FM11 is much better than FM09, the difference is phenomenal. The TC is something you may find useful, it's easier to set up tactics that do what you want.

The TC is something that I heard of and thought it sounded good for the game.

Thx for the opinions guys; so far I'm enjoying the demo :)

I say this as someone who worked on FM09: it's the weakest since the split.

What work did you do on FM09?

FM10 is excellent and FM11 is a player interaction fix away from improving further.

Agree. I felt FM09 was a low point, personally.

FM10 is absolutely fantastic. For me it is the best in the series.

FM11, on the other hand, isn't quite capturing my imagination yet, but perhaps things will get better after the next patch.

well i thought FM09 was the worst one bar far. Almost gave up with the game after it. However FM2010 was prob my favorite yet. Wish they would scrap a lot of stuff in the game now though. You simply can't be yourself on it. Too many questions to be asked which almost always end up upsetting players if you gave your honest answer rather than the crap predictable answer

What work did you do on FM09?

Testing *hides*

In my defence, I did initially work on FMH and only moved onto FM for the patches. And we did all work hard and we did all do some very long hours. It's not easy because a lot of the testers (while I was there anyway) didn't earn much and lived quite a way away. Moving closer to SI Towers isn't really an option on short-term contracts so it could all get pretty stressful even when the work itself wasn't. I know from people who are still there that SI have addressed this and given permanent jobs to some of the good people they have. People on the forums also tend to assume that bugs making it into the game means they've not been reported by the testers, which isn't necessarily true.

I have my own thoughts on FM09 but it's not really for me to go into specifics. What I will say is that I know of quite a few changes since then and FM10 was, in my opinion, a much better game and real evidence that the changes helped.

Quick question: Why won't my match preparation screen save on the demo? I mark it how I like, go to another page, back to the match prep, and its back to the settings I had before. Is this is a bug? Or am I missing something?

Thanks

Quick question: Why won't my match preparation screen save on the demo? I mark it how I like, go to another page, back to the match prep, and its back to the settings I had before. Is this is a bug? Or am I missing something?

Thanks

Also this is fine until I get the message from my assistant that I should check my match prep screen so it's how I like it. Then it changes for some reason. It won't let me save and keep my settings afterward. Should I save the game the moment I change it? This seems very ridiculous and I don't think it would change anything.

Bump anyone?

What is the bump for? You have the demo. PLay it and make your own mind up on the game. Nobody can tell you what you like and what you dont like. If you want answers on why your screens keep changing, I would look in the bugs forum because its been reported god knows how many times. It could have been fixed in the full version of the game by applying the patch, or it could be on the list of fixes for the 11.2 patch. Like I say, the bugs forum is your best bet for answers :thup:

I was simply asking earlier if this was a bug or if i was being stupid and not hitting a "save" button and such. Wasn't asking anybody to tell me every little thing about the game.

I'll check the forum, just thought being that I had already started the thread.. I would ask the question.

OH MY GOD IS THIS GAME BETTER THAN FM09!!!1

I started on FM09, and couldn't figure out the tactics at all. I was playing as Bayern, and couldn't even win in pre-season friendlies against Lower League sides, let alone do anything in the Bundesliga. I eventually downloaded tactics, but I still could only play at about an average level.

Since FM10, though, the tactics are MUCH, MUCH easier. I have mostly created my own tactics in FM10 and 11, and mostly done pretty well (in all of my saves, my teams usuall perform at least average). I still download training schedules, but that's because I am no good at making my own.

Seriously, if you're struggling with FM09 (as I did) you should find FM11 (or even FM10) more intuitive and easier to figure out. Give it a whirl!!!

Archived