What sort of manager are you?

The Intimidator

(e.g. Alex Ferguson) Revitalizes a sluggish team performance with an inspirational, but terrifying, head-to-head half-time tongue-lashing.

The Disciplinarian

(e.g. Fabio Capello) Runs his team with a rod of iron. There is no room in his team for the pampered star - the rules are the same for every player.

The Motivator

(e.g. Bill Shankly) Gives players the belief that they are on top of their game and that they are capable of beating any team in the world.

The Philosopher

(e.g. Arsene Wenger) Maintains an unflinching belief in how the game should be played. The emphasis is always on style over substance.

The Tinkerer

(e.g. Claudio Ranieri) Cannot stop himself from making numerous changes to his teams between and during matches. Some interpret this as indecisiveness, others as admirable flexibility.

The Ranter

(e.g. Nereo Rocco) Communicates an all-consuming passion for the game to every one of the players, who invariably live in fear of him.

The Charismatic

(e.g. Brian Clough) Demands exacting standards from his players; constantly keeping his players, club officials and the media on their toes.

The Mind-games Expert

(e.g. Jose Mourinho) Takes the pressure off his own team by making himself, and the opposing side, the centre of the media spotlight.

The Wheeler-dealer

(e.g. Harry Redknapp) Forges a team in his own image, and at limited cost, by making a series of shrewd acquisitions in the transfer market.

The Innovator

(e.g. Vittorio Pozzo) Seeks to surprise the opposition by utilizing specific, and unusual tactics that have been honed on the training ground.

The Father Figure

(e.g. Bobby Robson) Provides a comforting arm around the shoulder in the bad times and words of wisdom when things are going well.

The Tactician

(e.g. Rafa Benitez) More likely to scribble notes in his notepad when his side scores a goal than to celebrate with his players.

The Iceman

(e.g. Sven-Goran Eriksson) Remains unflappable under any circumstances, whether his team is 5-0 up in a crunch clash or about to crash out of a major tournament.

Well written piece of work CM! :thup: I would not say I am any of the above, more bits of each manager to be as well rounded as possible. Or that's what I strive for anyway. But not Rafa or Sven. Too much fist pumping and shouting!!!! lol

So who are you then CM?

I'd say I'm the Disciplinarian/Intimidator. Though that works horribly in FM so I try to supress the worst of the impulses and try to be a Motivator. I wish that players would adapt to a managers style, so I could rant away and still be successful rather then hold their hands all the time.

I was going to do that, but then there are more than 10 choices (max choices for a poll) and couldn't decide which ones to miss out. I guess that makes me a tinkerer?

I don't know whether I should interpret this as indecisiveness, or as admirable flexibility :D

[

The Philosopher

(e.g. Arsene Wenger) Maintains an unflinching belief in how the game should be played. The emphasis is always on style over substance.

Considering that Wenger is so obsessed with statistics, I wouldn't agree that his approach values style over substance...

Great post.. I think you forgot the player's coach. In football Maradona is probably the most recognizable. It's a term most applied in basketball (Mike D'Antoni) but it applies to football also. Inside a determined structure the coach allows high levels of decision and creativity to his players. Usually teams are great in offense but poor defense. Argentine in the world cup. Most players, in a way like this type of coaching despite not winning trophies.

What about the development expert coach? Committed to turning rough diamonds into stars filling their full potential and constantly looking for the next talent, bringing a conveyor belt of youth up through the academy.

Personally, i'd say i'm the Philosopher type with a bit of everything else thrown in for good measure.

Wheeler-dealer.

Love to sign a free player, and see his valuation as soon as its done.

Being in League 2 with FC United, I signed a couple of freebies in Jan. Both had valuations of 100k+ once they signed. I was happy. Job Done.

The Intimidator, The Disciplinarian, The Motivator, The Charismatic, The Father Figure.

I am a combination of all of these. I like to keep things simple but when I things get more complicated I'm prepared to handle it.

I don't coddle world class players because they are millionaires who are pampered enough. Bad performances usually lead to fiery reactions from me.

No one player is above my team. The same rules apply to all of them....and they are strict ones.

When I'm not dealing with world class players, aka my youngsters, I like them to feel like they are exactly that. If they've got no confidence their not going anywhere.

I like to make demands from my players making sure they never complacent.

I usually take a different approach with my youngster than I take with my first teamers. I'm a lot more patient with them. I like being a father figure to them. Youngsters have a tough enough time making that transition without me turning them into a nervous wreck. It usually pays off :)

Now I want to mind-game expert to my list of attributes....I wish I knew how though..

I'm a Shankly type, but with a bit of Ranieri in there too. Confidence breeds and therefore i make sure it's there amongst the whole squad. However, if there is a player I don't rate, regardless of stats, I can be quite harsh and get rid of them quickly so that their unhappiness doesn't break up the confidence.

Archived