Is it possible to change a staff role preference?

As the title suggests, is it possible to change the staff role a player wants to take on after they retire? I've got Lampard now at age 34, and I'd like to take him on as a coach, but he wants to become a manager.

I suggest he becomes a coach,

He says 'that's the last thing I can see myself doing'

I say, 'I've got your best interests at heart' etc.

And he says sorry, but his preference is still just to become a manager? Does it every change? I've tried this with him several times now, and while he still says 'feels he has a good relationship with you', he doesn't change his mind.

I know you could change this on the last FM, any ideas on this one?

I wasn't aware you could change their preference... I just thought it was a way to tell them in a very "nice" way that its time to retire and that their contract would not get renewed... If they become employable staff, then you have the benefit of them having you on their favoured persons list - presuming you had a "deep and meaningful" relationship of course.

I wasn't aware you could change their preference... I just thought it was a way to tell them in a very "nice" way that its time to retire and that their contract would not get renewed... If they become employable staff, then you have the benefit of them having you on their favoured persons list - presuming you had a "deep and meaningful" relationship of course.

In FM11 at least you can have them sign a new contract where they do both coaching and playing.

I have Carra and Gerrard on just this sort of deal.

Player/Managers are also not unheard of in football. Kenny Dalglish was one and won the double in his first season.

Even if they want to go into managing... if they reveal their staff stats while signed with you you could still try signing them to a player/coach... after all most managers need some basic coaching experience. Just means he'd be more interesting in a manager position if one was offered.

Even if they want to go into managing... if they reveal their staff stats while signed with you you could still try signing them to a player/coach... after all most managers need some basic coaching experience. Just means he'd be more interesting in a manager position if one was offered.

I tried that with Drogba, but he wasn't interested in any position, he just wanted to be a manager, and wouldn't accept any contract I could offer. It bugs me that I can't get them to change their preference though, it wasn't difficult on the last FM, but now no matter how many times I ask, they just stay stubborn!

Thanks for the replies though :)

That's really quiet silly to be honest... I mean even look in the games database, how many managers are their that don't have some type of coaching experience. Then didn't start as a manager and step down to be fitness coach or something.

Work from the bottom up, you don't get a manger spot until you prove you can work with the players.

Of course there are always some exceptions, but not that many.

Archived