Great young player who is not interested in signing with me? Anything I can do?

I have a superb young central defender, playing San Jose in the MLS (started unemployed and that's the team that first offered me a job!) and we have won the MLS twice. However, when I try to sign my great young DC to a new contract, all his agent will say is that he is not interested in signing with my club.

He's happy, likes the players on the team, etc. He has had a lot of interest shown in him. Is there anything I can do to get him to re-sign with me, or do I just have to resign myself that he wants to move up?

How long is left on his contract? I find that when players are in their last year they're a bit more open to terms.

Other than that, make sure he's a "Key Player" and offer him everything and anything you an afford if you're keen on keeping him. If he's happy, you're doing the right things, but it just may be that he's wanting a new challenge and, in that case, there's little you can do other than offer repeated contracts and hope for the best.

Yeah, he is a key player, praised often, and I've been trying to offer him a new contract for the last game year, before he got into his last year. He says he enjoys playing for the club, but I think he just has had too much interest shown in him.

Archived