Club's reputations - do they change?

I have now won the SPL twice in a row and got to the QF of the CL, winning 7 trophies in 5 years, with St Johnstone, yet when I try to buy players I can still only attract transfer listed tripe from the lower leagues.

Surely by now my reputation would be changing enough to get some half-decent players in? Even the bosman signings I can get are turning me down for Hearts, Hibs, Dunfermline etc even though I must be matching their offers!

Any clues?

I have now won the SPL twice in a row and got to the QF of the CL, winning 7 trophies in 5 years, with St Johnstone, yet when I try to buy players I can still only attract transfer listed tripe from the lower leagues.

Surely by now my reputation would be changing enough to get some half-decent players in? Even the bosman signings I can get are turning me down for Hearts, Hibs, Dunfermline etc even though I must be matching their offers!

Any clues?

• SI Staff

Yes they do change over time - however winning the SPL will have a much smaller effect than winning a European trophy ...

How are the other teams you're bidding against doing?

In my game with St Johnstone I have won the league 8 times now and 2 champs leagues, I can now attract any players I want as long as I can afford the wages which have been capped at 40 grand a week or something, this means that the elite players are out of the question but most players will sign for me.

I've been battling with Hearts and Hibs who have both been hovering around the top/bottom divide all season, yet losing out to them all season for transfers.

I onlt tend to go for Scottish/English players anyway, so I would have thought winning the SPL and being in the QF of the CL would help my chances there.

The only ones who will come are those who have been transfer listed by their clubs.

Better trying to sign young south americans, you can get loads of bargains and almost all of the under 20 year olds will come and the beauty of it is that in the spl they are good enough to play straight away whereas in the premiership of serie a they would have to wait a couple of years to get a game.

Theres no way I could have won the champions league on my st johnstone game without guys like schmoller, pablo ore and diego belmar.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andrew Flintoff:

I had absolutely none of the South American youngsters in my squad. It's not my style, I prefer to bring through talent and sign the best of my division - a theory that won me the league twice! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I doubt this theory can get you European silverware, especially if you play in the SPL.

Just won the CL with this bunch. Couple of Bosman frees helped me a lot in Europe.

My squad consists of:

2x Argies

1x Brazilian

3x English

1x German

2x Irish

1x Dutch

2x Nigerian

9x Scottish

1x Swedish

And the Scottish players are the backbone of my side - it would have been 10 if I hadn't sold one to Man U for £9m!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by masteR+_+:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andrew Flintoff:

I had absolutely none of the South American youngsters in my squad. It's not my style, I prefer to bring through talent and sign the best of my division - a theory that won me the league twice! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I doubt this theory can get you European silverware, especially if you play in the SPL. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't get any enjoyment out of signing all these South Americans though - where's the fun in doing exactly the same as everyone else, signing these players that wouldn't happen IRL, spoils the realism for me.

How many South Americans have you seen sign for British clubs and become worth 32m in 4 year?

Archived