Run more, win more?

Just a theory but I've been looking at the stats from screenshots that have been posted in the various forum categories and I've noticed a general trend: if your team runs more than the opposition, in the main you're likely to get a positive result. If you don't then, regardless of the number of shots you've had on target or CCCs, you'll get a negative result - the exception being when you have very high (>60%) possession stats.

Have a look for yourself and if you're complaining about a broken AI cos your top striker is missing CCCs then maybe you're not running enough!

I'd be interested in seeing other peoples' results when they analyse the stat from their savegame.

What do you think? Any merit in that theory?

Just a theory but I've been looking at the stats from screenshots that have been posted in the various forum categories and I've noticed a general trend: if your team runs more than the opposition, in the main you're likely to get a positive result. If you don't then, regardless of the number of shots you've had on target or CCCs, you'll get a negative result - the exception being when you have very high (>60%) possession stats.

Have a look for yourself and if you're complaining about a broken AI cos your top striker is missing CCCs then maybe you're not running enough!

I'd be interested in seeing other peoples' results when they analyse the stat from their savegame.

What do you think? Any merit in that theory?

Lol are you serious?

The one has absolutely nothing to do with the other if anything would be logical then that a player who runs more is more tired and more likely to miss a chance.

Honestly the balance in the game is totally out of bounds at the moment.

First it's totally unlikely to limit the opposition to only one shot on target every game and that shot usually goes in, while you have to get usually 4-5 CCCs to even get one goal.

If they want to make the game more balanced and not take all the fun out of it they have to make the opposition create more chances and then score one of them but not let them convert the only chance they have every time.

Honestly I have no problems with opposition being tougher, which by the way they aren't since I won the PL in my first season with a 15 points lead.

But it starts ****ing me off if my players play like Sunday league footballers in a coma.

I have one of the best GKs in the game yet I can't see it since every shot on goal seams to go in while the other keeper usually looks like Oliver Kahn during his best years.

I also haven't won a game yet where I wasn't completely dominating the other side or one of my players scored a wonder goal they have to walk the ball basically into the net to get a goal.

Another thing is that sometimes the opposision has 6 shots and 5 of them form long range and 5 shots on goal while I have something like 18 shots 5 of them long range but only 3 on goal?

What the hell?

I mean if that would happen once but stuff like this nearly happens every game in one way or another.

/rant over

i get my team to do a lot of running and it works for me. rarely outside of at least the play off zone come end of the season.

only problem i get is when i get midweek games (very regular in england), 3 of my 4 midfielders will still be less than 90% fit come match day, thus i need a good squad

I think there is some merit in what you are saying. I don't think that you are correct by linking the more you run to the more chances you will put away.

But, if you look at realativly small sides that have done well over the years, Wimbledon being the best example, they, more often than not, got by on the work ethic. They would work their socks off for each other and win, not by skill in the majority of cases, but by out-working the other team, by running them into the ground.

Then you look at successful teams - Manchester United & Chelsea. In FM they have some of the most dedicated players when you look at team work, work rate & determination.

I just had a look at my last 10 fixtures (9 wins, 1 draw) and my team ran less than the opposition in every game.

So I think this is irrelevant. My team plays a short passing game and dominates possession in most games, so the opposition spend more time running after the ball than my team do.

Personally I think the stats that usually go with victories are shots, shots on target, clear cut chances and possession. In those 10 fixtures my team won all of those, so they seem to go much better with the results than distance run.

Lol are you serious?

The one has absolutely nothing to do with the other if anything would be logical then that a player who runs more is more tired and more likely to miss a chance.

Honestly the balance in the game is totally out of bounds at the moment.

First it's totally unlikely to limit the opposition to only one shot on target every game and that shot usually goes in, while you have to get usually 4-5 CCCs to even get one goal.

If they want to make the game more balanced and not take all the fun out of it they have to make the opposition create more chances and then score one of them but not let them convert the only chance they have every time.

Honestly I have no problems with opposition being tougher, which by the way they aren't since I won the PL in my first season with a 15 points lead.

But it starts ****ing me off if my players play like Sunday league footballers in a coma.

I have one of the best GKs in the game yet I can't see it since every shot on goal seams to go in while the other keeper usually looks like Oliver Kahn during his best years.

I also haven't won a game yet where I wasn't completely dominating the other side or one of my players scored a wonder goal they have to walk the ball basically into the net to get a goal.

Another thing is that sometimes the opposision has 6 shots and 5 of them form long range and 5 shots on goal while I have something like 18 shots 5 of them long range but only 3 on goal?

What the hell?

I mean if that would happen once but stuff like this nearly happens every game in one way or another.

/rant over

If this happens to you in every game, then how did you win the league by 15 points? I think you are exaggerating slightly.

Thanks for your feedback guys.

davehanson (I went to Uni with a Dave Hanson. You're not a Brummie by any chance are you?) - i was thinking more in the game than in real life mate. I think the best teams work hard AND have a level of technical ability that brings them success, but teams like Wimbledon (of old) only have the physical aspect of the game which can only be successful on a game-by-game basis depending on the opposition. By the same token, really skillful teams can have the opposition chasing shadows. It's much harder when you don't have the ball which brings me on to....

Kenco - you'll see in my first paragraph the exception to the rule.

But look at this:

FC_Bayern_M_nchen_v_FC_St_Pauli_Split_View

and this:

FC_Bayern_M_nchen_v_Borussia_Dortmund_Split_View

That's just a couple of examples. There are more but I'm eager to get a bigger sample of feedback.

Archived