Dear SI. Has FM become a man vs CPU game now ?

I guess FM players at least once come to a point where his key players is injured and forced to play reserves, or U20s, or an extreme manager maybe wanna to try playing one of his player a new position. Now, check this. When i play as Milan against Chelsea in Round of 16 leg 1, chelsea apparently lost four of his midfielders, but all that is. the reserve striker such as strurridge is still available. But instead of playing a new formation or adapt to situation, Chelsea have an extra "greyed out" midfield player named DICK LAMB, and his stats is simply amazing, most of them is above 10. Sturridge is not even on the bench. That is just wrong. I don't recall this thing happen in previous FM. Is this intentional ? I have loaded 6 leagues, (only Italian as playable, and one of the view only is English league.) If SI come to argue about that "view only" option, then why bother loading the league as "view Only" if they can use greyed out player anytime ? And other teams, why they don't have greyed players qith Dick's quality ? Please help, SI.

guys, this is not about the AI is weak at formation, but it is about the AI has the privilege of having non existent good players out of nowhere. iirc, it's like back in 9.2.0 where greyed out reserve players are all amazing.

thats not just the AI though, i had two keepers injured at the same time and i had a greyed out keeper pop up in my team.

I was managing in holland with all the dutch players loaded (obviously) and in the dutch national team they had a greyed out keeper as the reserve. There were tons of dutch goalkeepers to choose from, obviously none were deemed good enough?! Surely this is some sort of error. I understand greyed out players in teams that have no other options, but not if the options available arent deemed good enough?!

Doesn't this occur because the league is not active/playable?

Fairly sure that's the case.

On one save I had on 07, Chelsea only had Cech as a goalkeeper (iirc he was the best in the world on CA at the time), so they were given another grey goalkeeper. He was even better than Cech.

The AI is terrible about adapting its manager formations to the players on his roster. Look at all the players playing out of formation for Gloucester? This just makes it far easier for the human player to win the match.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t239/bababui_2007/00leighscreenie1.jpg

That's a bug in the display. Occasionally it pops up in your team's tactics screen during a game too. It doesn't mean that those players are playing out of position.

I had the same issue against Celtic. Scotland were view only nation. I was playing Celtic in the European cup qualifier, and they had one striker injured, so instead of playing Samaras on his own, they conjured up two 22-26 yr old forwards, who had effing brilliant stats across the 3 categories. They had better striker then i had, and they took my defence totally apart.

It's as if the AI is given permission to cheat. Why? Even if we get grey players....why?

That's a bug in the display. Occasionally it pops up in your team's tactics screen during a game too. It doesn't mean that those players are playing out of position.

In the instance of the above screenie, I clicked on a couple of the players. There was a DM playing AMR, etc.

In the instance of the above screenie, I clicked on a couple of the players. There was a DM playing AMR, etc.

Oh, really? That's interesting. Since I saw it in my team once when players were definitely in appropriate positions, I assumed it was the same in this case. Sorry! Did you notice if they had any competence in the position at all? I don't really think there's any problem with the AI using a player who's only Competent (or even Awkward) in a position during an injury crisis or equivalent. I do the same thing.

I also remember reading a comment by Cleon in the Tactics & Training Tips forum some time ago in which I think he said that the only thing that is affected by a player playing out of position is the Decisions attribute, which is reduced by a set amount depending on how uncomfortable the player is with the position. So it may not matter as much as you think.

Archived