Multiplayer games / user agreement?

Hi - I'm looking to set up a multi player game of FM2011 for a USENET group on which I post.

I am not talking about a network game or "FM Live", I mean just setting up a multiplayer game on my laptop but allowing other members of the group to play in my league by picking their team for the week and setting out their instructions with a post on the group. Eg, Real Madrid's manager chooses to play 4-3-3 and to rest Ronaldo, Barcelona's manager wants to make a £60 million bid for Fabregas - I use FM2011 to process the outcomes and write up a summary of the results on the newsgroup.

I don't plan on going into great detail (if any at all) in terms of players stats - this is just for fun.

The question is, though - would setting up such a league and publishing the results online in anyway be a breach of the user agreement? I couldn't pick out anything obvious when I installed the game, but you know the way these documents are worded! *lol*

Would allowing others to access my game via the newsgroup breach some kind of clause about "remote access" to the software??

Would publishing the results of my league breach the agreement ot SIGGAMES' copyright? *scratches head*

On the face of it what I'm planning doesn't seem that different to a few people playing multiplayer on the same laptop (which is allowed) but does that change if the participants aren't in the same room?

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I'd rather a bit of fun online didn't end up in a law suit or Court summons!

Can anyone from SIGGAMES advise?

Many thanks.

In the absence of a reply, I have re-read the user licence agreement and can find no specific mention to running a game with multiple players using one copy of the software via a newsgroup or web forum.

The only paragraph which may be relevant reads as follows:

3. Use of the Game Software

You agree only to use the Game Software or any part of it in a manner which is consistent with this Licence and you SHALL NOT:

(d) use the Game Software, or permit use of the Game Software, in a network, multi-user arrangement or remote access arrangement, including any online use, except as otherwise explicitly provided by SEGA and subject to acceptance of the terms and conditions of use;

Right. I am not proposing a network game, so that’s out. I’m assuming “remote access” in this sense means permitting other people to access an individual’s copy of the software via the internet or other network, again, something which I don’t intend to do. The reference to “Multi-user arrangement” is too woolly to be much use in this case. In one sense running a league via a web forum or newsgroup could be considered a “multi-user arrangement” of a sort, but then so could a group of lads getting together on a Wednesday night to play multi-player mode on one computer, which is a feature of the software and therefore permitted. So in this example, I’m going to assume that “multi-user arrangement” in fact refers to an individual allowing others to make installations from one copy of the software or otherwise to some kind of sharing of the software itself, as opposed to running a forum / newsgroup league with multiple players.

I can therefore find no reason why I shouldn’t set up the league as planned.

If anyone from SEGA or Sports Interactive feels otherwise, could they please kindly let me know no later than 72 hours (9.05am on Friday 26th November 2010) of the grounds for any objection by a reply on this thread.

Otherwise, I shall assume there is no objection to me setting up the league as planned.

Many thanks.

Archived