Will Football Manager 2012 be 64-bit?

OK, I have a question to ask SI about FM. Will FM 2012 be a 64-bit software? If that is the case, FM fans with high end systems could load up ALL the leagues in the game PLUS other leagues not included in the game with no problems. Moreover, FM would be able to read 4 or more GB of RAM.

I posed this same question last year and you guys said that it will take 2 or 3 years for it to happen. So will we see a 64-bit version of the game next year, SI?

Cheers!

How is the speed with all 117 leagues running?:D

Not tried all leagues yet pal but i have about 25 leagues loaded with all there 2nd divisions as playable except england were i have all leagues playable,well up to blue square there's about 80.0000 players loaded and its quick

dafuge dont really use it for owt lol besides fm but got really good deal so thought what the hell. i dont plan on buying a new one for a while :)

Any news about this from SI? FM 2012 should be 64 bit. This would allow players to add in edited new leagues into their game world, thus, having the ability to play more than 82 nations. If I am correct, it is currently impossible to play more than 82 nations in FM because it is still a 32-bit game. By moving on to 64-bit, the user can load up ALL the 208 nations which are affiliated to FIFA PLUS other non-FIFA nations as well!

Not tried all leagues yet pal but i have about 25 leagues loaded with all there 2nd divisions as playable except england were i have all leagues playable,well up to blue square there's about 80.0000 players loaded and its quick

dafuge dont really use it for owt lol besides fm but got really good deal so thought what the hell. i dont plan on buying a new one for a while :)

You should try loading up ALL the leagues with your system, mate! :D

Hang on a mo... what exactly does effect the speed of the game if 2gb of RAM is the limit for the game?

Or, put another way, what stops anyone who has over 2gb of RAM and a standard/semi-decent GFX card from running a fair number of leagues?

Like... 32-bit Vista, 4GB RAM, nVidia 9500 GT for instance ^^

Hang on a mo... what exactly does effect the speed of the game if 2gb of RAM is the limit for the game?

Or, put another way, what stops anyone who has over 2gb of RAM and a standard/semi-decent GFX card from running a fair number of leagues?

4GB ram and a half decent cpu is more then enough :)

CPU is the most important. Followed by RAM.

If you have a 32bit OS, you will use 3/3.5GB RAM at the most (this is the limit of 32bit, well actually it is 4GB, but Windows seems to only use up to 3.5GB).

If you have a 64bit OS, you can use practically infinite RAM (not exactly infinite, but anyone reading this won't have more RAM on their system that 64bit can use). Therefore if you have a 32bit piece of software running on a 64bit OS, it will use up to 4GB RAM (the 32bit limit). If the software was 64bit on a 64bit OS, you can use this 'infinite' RAM which would mean that in FM's case, you could load every player/league etc and the game would fly.

A tiny, tiny number of computers are currently 64-bit. I don't think it's really worth SI's while to bother making the game 64-bit. Very few programs are, and SI aren't exactly going to gain sales by making it 64-bit.

there are more 64bit windows 7 users than 32 bits

This may be a very daft question, but is it possible to make a normal version for 32 bit players, and a special version for 64bit players?

I know nothing about programming, so I've no idea if this is straight forward or not.

its possible the only thing need is instead of a 32bits exe file it has to be 64bits and some extra binaries . them could make them together because it wont affect the 32bits version

A tiny, tiny number of computers are currently 64-bit. I don't think it's really worth SI's while to bother making the game 64-bit. Very few programs are, and SI aren't exactly going to gain sales by making it 64-bit.

thats funny, i can honestly say that i dont know a single person that still running a 32bit system, i have built hundreds of systems for friends and family and every single 1 of them for the last 2-3 years has always been 64bit.

not just that, but all my online gaming buddies are also 64bit (obvious being gamers).

not to mention that 64bit pc's/laptops are going for peanuts in the shops these days.

so basically everyone will be on 64bit within a few years. well everyone that owns there own computer and not a cheap work laptop or something. lol

Even if 90% of users were on 64 bit operating systems (which is no where near the case), if they went to 64 bit exclusively they'd still be cutting 10% of the market off for what reason exactly?

According to Steam hardware survey

Windows 7 64 bit 33.37% 
+1.12%

Windows XP 32 bit 26.55%
-1.38%

Windows Vista 32 bit 13.65%
-0.22%

Windows 7 11.81%
-0.32%

Windows Vista 64 bit 8.68%
+0.43%

MacOS 10.6.4 64 bit 2.92%
+0.56%

MacOS 10.6.3 64 bit 1.22%
-0.37%

Windows XP 64 bit 0.77%
+0.05%

MacOS 10.5.8 64 bit 0.59%
+0.08%

Windows 2003 64 bit 0.28%
+0.03%

Other 0.16% +0.01%

For FM

Current Players: 7,658

Peak Today: 28,316

And most of them will never ever touch this game anyway.

The 64-bit computers are mostly in the hands of gamers.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

If you pull up the OS statistics about 40% of people who use Steam and participated in that survey run a 64 bit OS. FM is sold on Steam.

It isn't a majority yet but it is getting there.

64 bit is a luxury with regards to software and not many pc's have it as it is not regarded important enough when companies sell there pc computers and laptops.

SI i doubt will ever bother with 64 bit as it is a costly development for a limited range.

• SI Staff
Still no official response from SI? I suspect that if Football Manager 2012 is 32-bit, Football Manager 2013 or 2014 would be 4-bit! It is not a question of whether SI would switch to 64-bit, it is a question of WHEN they will do it!! :D

I don't think it's been decided yet. I'm sure it will be discussed again when we sit down and discuss what we're going to do for the next game. Even then it's unlikely we would announce anything about it until we start revealing details about the next game.

A tiny, huh ? Where did you get that info from, 7 year old computer magazine ? Or you think that everybody is playing 2010 game on a pre-2003 systems ?

There are large amount of x64 cpu's these days since the architecture was introduced back in 2003. 32bit should be really put to rest now, and Windows XP will be long gone soon enough.

P.S. As was said above, the x64 version of FM 2012 would beat all the novelties combined in the next year's release.

Ok , so what do you people expect would happen if FM was released as a 64bit binary? Do you think its going to be faster or what? I dont get it. Is someone running out of memory with many leagues loaded?

Yes. I, for one, want a faster game processing as I'm not really satisfied with game speed we have at the moment. Native x64 applications can see significant performance improvements, particularly for computationally intensive applications.

Since 2003 my mother, brother, father, grandfather, aunt and cousin have all bought a variation of computers &/or laptops. They all had 32 bit systems because they didn't need to pay the extra for 64 bit because they don't use it, myself (gamer) and my uncle (video editor) bought 64 bit systems because we wanted them and know what we're doing. It's only in the last 12 months or so computers available in PC world, Currys etc have really taken on 64 bit. They didn't do it before because it would have been stupid to give their customers something which had a longer life when an upgrade would be embraced soon.

It makes sense to make the next iteration at least 64-bit functionally-ready (even if there isn't any sort of 64-bit optimisation), because 64-bit is going to have a significant portion of market share in a year's time, let alone 2. Nearly 50% of Windows 7 users are 64-bit ones now! http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/windows-7-boosts-64-bit-adoption/8862

It's not impossible to buy a new laptop from Dell with a 32 bit architechture.... but almost impossible.

I work for a software company, and we've announced to our customers, that from next year we'll no longer release software for 32-bit. I'm old enough to remember the mess when 16 bit became obsolete, and I think everybody in the industry has an obligation to facilitate a faster transaction to the new architechture this time.

The introduction of 64 bit wasn't good at all, there's still tons of compatability issues with many applications and games.

I can see why it's good but until the industry does a complete 100% switchover I'm not too interested. I run Windows 7 64 and x86 and I prefer x86.

The high consumer uptake of 64 bit is down to most pre-made computers having 64 bit Windows 7 installed. It's not out of consumer choice, I know very few serious gamers who'll go out of their way to install a 64 bit operating system.

I know very few serious gamers who'll go out of their way to install a 64 bit operating system.

you must be joking?

its the gamers that are pushing for 64 bit to be fully utilised. 3 of the biggest games to be released lately - bfbc2, medal of honour and CoD black ops are all very high spec games. and if you play them on a 32 bit system you are seriously restricted with your RAM. gamers these days are all starting to install more than 4GB of ram. 32 bit OS systems cont use more than 3.5GB of ram. hence they use 64 bit OS's

FM itself is mainly restricted by your processor and RAM. simply put, 64 bit is the way forward and no one knows this better than the gaming community.

you must be joking?

its the gamers that are pushing for 64 bit to be fully utilised. 3 of the biggest games to be released lately - bfbc2, medal of honour and CoD black ops are all very high spec games. and if you play them on a 32 bit system you are seriously restricted with your RAM. gamers these days are all starting to install more than 4GB of ram. 32 bit OS systems cont use more than 3.5GB of ram. hence they use 64 bit OS's

FM itself is mainly restricted by your processor and RAM. simply put, 64 bit is the way forward and no one knows this better than the gaming community.

That my friend is 100% true. Well said.

I don't think it's been decided yet. I'm sure it will be discussed again when we sit down and discuss what we're going to do for the next game. Even then it's unlikely we would announce anything about it until we start revealing details about the next game.

Thanks for the response Ter! I will ask the same question one year from now! :D

I can see why it's good but until the industry does a complete 100% switchover I'm not too interested.

The high consumer uptake of 64 bit is down to most pre-made computers having 64 bit Windows 7 installed. It's not out of consumer choice

You don't expect the switchover to be completed in 1 day, do you ? Perhaps this is the reason they are supplying pre-made systems with x64 version in the first place.

Besides, Win7 64bit is backwards compatible with 32bit applications, so I don't see any reason to prefer x86 over x64.

To be honest, I think Microsoft should have done a lot more to push x64 OSes. I mean, just look at Windows XP Professional x64. What an awesome operating system. I love it (still use it more than Window 7 x64) but I've never ONCE seen Microsoft advertise it. Don't get me wrong, W7 is very good, but XP x64 is the bees knees :)

The introduction of 64 bit wasn't good at all, there's still tons of compatability issues with many applications and games.

I can see why it's good but until the industry does a complete 100% switchover I'm not too interested. I run Windows 7 64 and x86 and I prefer x86.

The high consumer uptake of 64 bit is down to most pre-made computers having 64 bit Windows 7 installed. It's not out of consumer choice, I know very few serious gamers who'll go out of their way to install a 64 bit operating system.

Most (no sorry), practically ALL systems built with 4GB RAM or less with come pre-installed with 32-bit

Although wouldn't a 64bit game take out the 32bit gamers market? (so until 32bit is COMPLETELY out of the market, i can see this continuing for a little while yet)

That said, I want to upgrade my computer to 64bit, is there a way to do without having to copy EVERY file onto somewhere external?

To be honest, I think Microsoft should have done a lot more to push x64 OSes. I mean, just look at Windows XP Professional x64. What an awesome operating system. I love it (still use it more than Window 7 x64) but I've never ONCE seen Microsoft advertise it. Don't get me wrong, W7 is very good, but XP x64 is the bees knees :)

Because driver support for XP x64 is absolutely rubbish. Nobody wrote drivers for this version - they all looked on to Vista and 7 64-bit.

Good OS, yes - if you can find the drivers!

Most (no sorry), practically ALL systems built with 4GB RAM or less with come pre-installed with 32-bit

Although wouldn't a 64bit game take out the 32bit gamers market? (so until 32bit is COMPLETELY out of the market, i can see this continuing for a little while yet)

That said, I want to upgrade my computer to 64bit, is there a way to do without having to copy EVERY file onto somewhere external?

I recommend formatting when installing a new OS regardless - it's a much more stable way of doing things and benefits you in the long-term.

Archived