Javier Pastore not getting a work permit?!

It's season 2012/2013. He's at the moment easily one of the best MC/AMC's of the whole game.

His stats at Palermo:

2009/2010 34 apps

2010/2011 24 apps (not too many apps because of 2,5 month injury)

2011/2012 26 apps (missed a few apps due to 1,5 month injury-time)

He has 12 international caps with Argentina.

So I decided to buy him to Man Utd, and what happens? He won't get a frigging work permit. It's December now and his agent still isn't willing to negotiate a new contract.

At least in previous FM versions these kind of r-etarded work permit -decisions could have been easily bypassed by offering the player a new contract. But now with the agents I'll just have to sit & watch the guy getting paid 575k/month for doing nothing. And there aren't any actual arguments to support the decision of not granting him the work permit.

PS. And before someone says something about loaning him away - he doesn't accept any loan offers as he "feels he is too good to be loaned out".

He doesn't get the WP because he hasn't played in 75% of his country's games over the last two years (we'll forget the other clause top 70 ave rating in FIFA rankings for obvious reasons). The other way to get the WP is that he is a player of sufficient quality to make a significant impact on English (well British) football. You could argue this one, but it probably boils down to a PA rating (as the second clause is for young prospects only).

Next time you buy a non-EU player check about their WP chances first. Your scout would have said something.

The thing is - scout recommended Pastore as a must buy.

But nevertheless, now in mid-December it seems that I can finally offer him a new contract and get the work permit.

Did the scout say anything about work permit problems. Up until last years game he would. I remember getting a 3 1/2 star player recommendation followed by the dreaded "he probably wont get a WP" a few times when playing in England.

He did. I don't recall the exact statement, but anyway something like "will likely get rejected but has a good chance of being accepted on appeal". Which in 95% of cases for me has pretty much meant that everything is ok. Pastore being the 5% who gets rejected.

But there never was a chance to raise an appeal (like it's normally done in-game). Just a statement that he has not been granted a permit.

I could have accepted the decision, if the appeal would have just been turned down, but since I wasn't even given a chance to raise one, it was kind of frustrating.

Yeah I made the purchase decision on the very last minute after Hamsik got injured long-term. Didn't come to think of it then, but indeed now I think the appeal for the permit would have already been late.

Although in real life they seem to rush through the paperwork of the deals way past the deadline (Van der Vaart). And we're talking about a player of Iniesta's quality, who would without a doubt be a strong plus for the league's reputation. Refering to "The other way to get the WP is that he is a player of sufficient quality to make a significant impact on English (well British) football." -sentence above.

But anyway - life is good now since I got him a new contract and a work permit :)

EDIT: rating 9.1 in his debut game against Chelsea :)

I could have accepted the decision, if the appeal would have just been turned down, but since I wasn't even given a chance to raise one, it was kind of frustrating.

You're playing as Manchester United, yes?

You have a Belgian feeder club, Royal Antwerp iirc. I know you said the guy rejects all loans (which is strange because usually if its for a WP they agree to go.)

Because you have the Belgian feeder to provide a solution to WP issues you wont get the chance to appeal a WP decision because technically you don't need to appeal. You sign the lad and ship him off to Belgium for 3 years and suddenly he's an EU citizen.

Just to broaden the point of the OP, have there been any changes to the Work Permits in FM11?

I ask because in FM10 WP's were granted to players above a certain PA to simulate the vagaries of the RL WP rules? Which in this case would mean Pastore would get a WP even if he hadn't played the requisite number of internationals.

Further, I've also had troubles getting WP's in this version for players who should have no problem getting them - made me think there has been some fiddling with the games "rules"...?

• 1 month later...

I've just had the same thing in 11.2.1

Start of 4th season and Spurs' offer to buy Pastore accepted and he fails to get a work permit.

He's 24, worldwide reputation, has played 23 games for Argentina in the last 4 years.

Seems very odd...

I got him in EPL at Chelsea in the summer transfer season after 1st season. Initial Work Permit was denied then appealed and it was approved. At that point I think he had only 2 caps for Argentina, so definitely had not played in enough internationals. I imagine it went through due to his age (22) and being a significant enough talent to get a conditional permit. Hopefully he starts making regular appearances for country so extending his contract won't be an issue when he is older.

Archived