Paul Wallace - the manager, a man possessed (the interactive small-to-big club story)

Any regular readers of the forum will know the name of Paul Wallace. A legendary striker: bagger of more goals than Romario; a man who had Pele nervously looking over his shoulder. But all good things come to an end, and the legend decided to move into management. In his career, he played like a man possessed. As it turned out though, he IS. By the great, the good and the uber-geeks who inhabit the sigames forum.

Paul Wallace is to set out on a managerial journey in the Blue Square North or South. The club is whichever are lucky enough to eb chosen by him. Wallace’s persona is driven by many different people. Thankfully, they depart after a year; but his torment doesn't end. They are replaced by another - who thinks they can make Wallace, and his fortunate chosen club, even better.

Their strategies change. Their opinions on players change. Their approaches to scouting, dealing with the press, heck, we could go on - everything changes. Every single year.

Right here, we’ll read all about it. Wallace WILL drag the club kicking and screaming up through the leagues. He will do it like Sinatra – his way. If he’s possessed by a LLM aficionado, he’ll do it that way, if he feels more liberal about the spirit of the game, he’ll do it that way. The only thing he will NOT do, unlike goalscorers who count every goal against u-16 girls teams as part of their record, is cheat. There will be no editors, no scouting utilities, and no corner bug utilization. Not for Wallace.

To be continued…

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So thanks to those who made suggestions in the official ideas thread. I’ve turned this around quickly, so further tweaks are possible, if anyone feels particularly strongly.

In summary, the idea is that users of the forum will get a chance to manage the club, taking turns each, for a season at a time.

Here’s how it will work:

- Start in the BS North or South

- Fictional players will be used

- Each person has a week to 10 days to complete one season only. If they haven’t, they should at least find time to upload it for the next guy.

- The manager's name is Paul Wallace. The guy deserves it.

- Wallace’s personality changes the day after game update day (20 June annually, I think). Meaning, at that point, the person in the hot seat must upload it for the next person.

- If Wallace is sacked whoever is responsible has to own up to their inadequacy, we pick a new manager name and the next person takes over at that point, until the end of the NEXT season.

- Play as you see fit, but no cheating. LLM rules can be adopted, but are not required.

- If you take part, you must provide, as a minimum, a quarterly report on your progress. We don’t need to know what you had for breakfast each day but some story telling would be fantastic. Further detail on the game world is obviously allowed as you see fit. If you want advice on new signings etc then feel free to ask you adoring (or spiteful, depending how you get on) public

- I think we need a limit on pre-contract agreements, as this could really hinder the next guy. Thus, I suggest a limit of 3 bosman signings who you feel will be first team players, and a maximum spend of 25% of any transfer budget available. If you want more, it goes to the jury. Or more specifically, the next manager. Youth player pre contracts are pretty much unlimited unless they are significant to the wage budget – a bit of foresight is nice (this probably won’t be an issue til a few years in anyway, the start will be survival). This is pretty arbitrary, and open to debate.

Open to the jury:

- Do we want an existing or new club? Suggest a club, or a new team name. If the latter is more popular, the first person has to willing to edit it. NO other edits to be done.

- Who will start off? I would love to, but would take me ages to do it (I’ve spend quite enough time thinking about this). I’ll have a crack when I have more free time. Therefore I suggest you nominate another user. The most popular choice gets to go first, obviously assuming they agree to it. I will make a list of subsequent incarnations of the Paul Wallace name – as a starting point, they need to be nominated. If that doesn’t work out, it will be opened up to willing volunteers.

Apologies to anyone who gets nominated who isn’t interested…please make it clear and you’ll be excluded from the nominations. If you want to encourage regulars in other forums to take part, let them know.

So here’s what we need – quote and complete this bit:

Club (real or original name):

Manager nomination (forum user):

Great idea bermybhoy icon14.gif

Glad Paul Wallace is having a big impact icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

I do think a new club would be ideal. Obviously, conforming to the reputation levels of any other BSN/BSS club.

As for who will start off, I think, should you want to, that it should be you, as this is your idea. From then on, there are a few seasoned veterans on here that I know of that would probably love a stab, (CoachFlu, Annihilator, Gundo, iacovone, Dafuge, Ghostwriter, Gaijin and Alurny) - and probably a few more from Dafuges Challenge thread. I would also, obviously have a stab at this, with pleasure. icon_biggrin.gif

Club Name : Challenges AFC / AFC Challenges | Grand Goals Utd | Forum Football Club | SIGames Athletic

Nickname : The Forumites

I definitely want a shot down the road and as for the name of the club, how about SI Forum Greats or AFC SI Forum Managers Club or SI Elite.

Manager names is not important, Paul Wallace is the starting name(right?) and unless someone gets him fired, another name shouldnt be needed right?

One thing, I understand getting the more well know posters in the game early but one thought that might be of use, since it would be a shame to have the best poster/managers work the tema up just to have a less experienced manager take over and undo all the hard work, you might want to alternate, one forum legend and then maybe a newer poster and so forth.

Peace

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by elf_30:

I definitely want a shot down the road and as for the name of the club, how about SI Forum Greats or AFC SI Forum Managers Club or SI Elite.

Manager names is not important, Paul Wallace is the starting name(right?) and unless someone gets him fired, another name shouldnt be needed right?

One thing, I understand getting the more well know posters in the game early but one thought that might be of use, since it would be a shame to have the best poster/managers work the tema up just to have a less experienced manager take over and undo all the hard work, you might want to alternate, one forum legend and then maybe a newer poster and so forth.

Peace </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think any "routine" should be set, personally. Just get a sign up list going, an ongoing list, and once your season is up, you can sin on again.

Excellent. Keep any ideas coming. Nepenthez, I was going to propose yourself since I stole your player's name, but now you mention it I will try and start off...my issue is finding time but we'll see what I can do icon_wink.gif

Now I reckon the world can live without Vauxhall Motors or Solihull Moors in the BSN. Both lowest rep there, so won't be easy.

I am comfortable going into the editor and changing the name of the club, stadium and nicknames but when it comes to kits, badges and the like I really wouldn't know. If someone wanted to a) come up with something and b) email it to me with a step by step idiot proof guide to implementing it, that would be great icon14.gif Oh and a pic of the man himself...

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/NepentheZ/Picture1-2.png

Picture1-2.png

Solihull Moors can go, IMO. The kits should be easy. You can change them in the editor. Just make them into something you like color wise, and then when / if people decide to create a new kit, they will explain to you how to insert it into the game when they are done. (Or, if they are taking part, they can do it themselves icon_wink.gif )

Kit creation is easy enough as NepentheZ say. Simply go into the editorm under kits & colours and you can 'create' any colour/design kit you like.

For the logo you'd need to get someone to design one - shouldn't be that hard just use a default one in a paint programme - create a config.xml file, (best to use an existing one and just edit it really) add a line:

<record from="IDnumber" to="graphics/pictures/club/IDnumber/logo" />

Where Idnumber can be found on the top line of the editor page. The logos should go into folder you can name graphics in the Sports Interactive folder in mydocuments. It's all fairly easy really, good luck, this sounds an interesting idea icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robert_296:

Here's an idea. If there is too many people who want to play you could do two groups of managers and have one game with one group and another game with the other. Both with the same team and Paul Wallace as manager ofc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like it. icon14.gif But instead of having Paul Wallace as manager of both, you could have Wallace for one group and Danny Roberts for the other. icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gundo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robert_296:

Here's an idea. If there is too many people who want to play you could do two groups of managers and have one game with one group and another game with the other. Both with the same team and Paul Wallace as manager ofc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like it. icon14.gif But instead of having Paul Wallace as manager of both, you could have Wallace for one group and Danny Roberts for the other. icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brilliant. icon_biggrin.gif

Definitely would save a lot of waiting time.!

I like it. icon14.gif

Sounds like it's taking off icon14.gif

I better get on with it then. Any more team name/nickname suggestions and nominations for subsequent managers encouraged.

Sounds like this there could be a splinter thread (*spit* SPLITTERS!) but I assume Nepenthez will stay on this side of the fence, so you will be next up if you're happy with that.

Beyond that it's up for grabs...as I say I'd rather do it by nomination to avoid a thread full of 'can I go next' posts...we could do with building up a squad list of willing volunteers to ensure it moves on smoothly. Preference will ofcourse be given to those who've provided input already icon_smile.gif

Just an idea, but why not set-up two identical clubs just have different names for each and then put one in the BSN and the other in the BSS. Paul Wallace could manage the Northern Monkeys team and Danny Roberts the Southern Softies team.

This is almost turning into battle of the challenges lol. What with Wallace representing Gundo's challenge and Roberts with dafuges. icon_biggrin.gif

There is your nicknames right there. icon_biggrin.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Liking it as well Gundo.

Here's what I can do.

- Edit a team in each of BS North and South so they are identical.

- Start a game and save immediately.

- Upload it so the Southern Softie's first manager can get started.

- I can either add both managers to make sure there's no cheating on reputations or entrust the other person to add Roberts, makes little difference

That way, both clubs are in both games, although obviously the other is likely to quickly wither on the vine and be irrelevant after a few seasons.

I'll run it for say a season on holiday just to make check there's no major gliches or differences in standard. I should be able to do this this evening (unfortunately that means past midnight GMT).

Here's what we need then:

- The first manager of the Southern team - it was Robert296's idea, so first refusal to him

- The name etc and so on of the other team, and kit preferences, otherwise it's pink all the way for you lot

- Someone choose the Southern team to die, pref low rep.

- A pic of Roberts (if there's one)

- Erm (this is mildly embarrassing) instructions on how to upload a save game.

There we have it. Everyone happy? icon_smile.gif

Sounds good, but you had better get a sign-up list for each team going, as you said, dont want a thread full of 'can I go next' postings. Only way to avoid that is to use a signup list. You might cnosider this the sign-up thread and do a seperate story thread as well. Less to read through and less congestions.

Are we going to be held to just one side or the other, or can you run one of the teams one seaoon and then do the other later on?

Peace

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NepentheZ:

Just one think, Barmy.

You don't want both clubs in the same database. (Right??)

you need 1 database with the BSS club, and a separate database with the BSN club, otherwise you will need 2 managers to work 1 game, and thats not likely. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

correct - c'mon the Monkeys!!

Nepz...the other manager can just be retired immediately, then there would be mild interest in how the other team gets on. As I say, just for a season or two, they won't make progress. Anyone else opposed to this? I like the idea of one database, just to check first that they're of similar standard and neither side is at an advantage.

Robert: Thanks & agreed. It would be fair to give the current person a say too, but it's our ball, we decide.

Elf: I think you need to pick sides. Wouldn't want anyone sabotaging the other icon_wink.gif Those who do well might well get another chance on the same side later on...we can see how it pans out.

I hope this idea isn't going to bring the indegrity of either side's efforts into question...it should be an honest effort on both sides.

Final thought (then I better get back to work): it seems to make sense to start a new thread since this has turned into an ideas one (Mods permitting). I think it would be workable to have both in the same thread though.

Also I don't know 100% about the idea of using the sign up thread initially. I'd rather see names put forward by others still.

Robert: I meant have a say in who the next manager should be

I'm away until Saturday morning so if you want me to start on the South one you will have to wait till then. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That'd give alittle time for gathering the list of users willing to do this. icon14.gif

It's only a few days away, so will Saturday be the Official start date for this then?

Also add me to the list for the Monkeys potential managers, although I wouldn't mind being further down the list maybe 4th, 5th or 6th. What ever is easiest I'll go with the flow. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bermybhoy:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is all I have. His face is surrounded in mystery.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bermybhoy:

Final thought (then I better get back to work): it seems to make sense to start a new thread since this has turned into an ideas one (Mods permitting). I think it would be workable to have both in the same thread though.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm happy for people to use multiple threads to kick things off, just let me know when the first one is finished with so I can close it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dafuge:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is all I have. His face is surrounded in mystery. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Facegen wasn't around in FM06 icon_frown.gif

I do have a "D. Roberts" in my current save, with a facegen pic. We could use that?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NepentheZ:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dafuge:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is all I have. His face is surrounded in mystery. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Facegen wasn't around in FM06 icon_frown.gif

I do have a "D. Roberts" in my current save, with a facegen pic. We could use that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had this, but I'm pretty sure Sir Danny Roberts didn't look like that icon_wink.gif

No list as yet. My proposition of doing it on a nominations basis hasn't been too successful, so we will go on a volunteer basis.

Therefore, if you want to take part, please say for which team, and which position you want to be in, ie North or South; which season. Lets do up to 10 initially in each, therefore 20 people.

I would anticipate the position would need to be flexible to work around people's commitments. From there, I'll come up with a list. I hope this solution suits everyone.

If you're going to volunteer, I would say it's best if you have a track record in posting (writing ability) and/or in the game (shown through one of the challenges maybe). (And yes I'm aware I not one of the 'well kent faces' round here icon_wink.gif)

Therefore I think as it stands we have:

Northern Monkeys:

1. Bermybhoy

2. NepentheZ (although I suggested this)

5-ish Gundo

Southern Softies:

1. Robert296

Regarding the set up, I've had another think on this. The main drawback I saw to the suggested approach is that player tipping between the two games would be possible...is it therefore best to have two seperate game worlds?

On that basis we are relying on Robert's willingness to edit a BSS side exactly the same way as I've done...that sound ok?

Archived