A player called up for national service?

I got a player who has yet to be called up for National Service. Will he ever get called up? I'm hoping he won't.

Hello!

I'm not going to pretend to be an authority on this as I don't know how it works in South Korea BUT I am currently managing in the N-League (South Korean 2nd Tier) and just had a player called up for 2 years national service at the age of 29. He went at the end of the season in which he was called up and will return afterwards.

As said above, I don't know if there's any rules about age etc. but it is possible and, presumably, fairly random.

Hope that helps :)

Most South Koreans have to be called up for national service eventually...unless you're famous or a very good athlete. Like Byung-Hyun Kim and Shin-Soo Choo in baseball are exempt now because they won the Goal Medal in the Asian Games. Maybe all Koreans who win in the Olympics or win the Asian Cup are exempt from national service? I'm not exactly 100% sure about the rule.

You're along the right lines Rancer. All South Korean males have to serve compulsory national service unless the Government excempts them for having an exceptional talent, so for example, a star international footballer. Your average South Korean football would definately have to serve.

Hello!

I'm not going to pretend to be an authority on this as I don't know how it works in South Korea BUT I am currently managing in the N-League (South Korean 2nd Tier) and just had a player called up for 2 years national service at the age of 29. He went at the end of the season in which he was called up and will return afterwards.

As said above, I don't know if there's any rules about age etc. but it is possible and, presumably, fairly random.

Hope that helps :)

Ermm...what do you mean by afterwards? You mean like when the season starts again?

This player is highly rated in my team and I don't want to lose him for 2 years.

You're along the right lines Rancer. All South Korean males have to serve compulsory national service unless the Government excempts them for having an exceptional talent, so for example, a star international footballer. Your average South Korean football would definately have to serve.

Cheers for the clarification Nobby. :)

Haven't managed in S. Korea (yet) so will be interesting how this works in peoples' game saves.

To the OP, I have no idea whether he'll need to serve in your save, but if he's an exceptional talent then he (probably) won't have to have a leave of absence to fulfill his military commitments.

I think in Korea, no matter who you are, you have to go for national service sooner or later. I learned that even pop singers would have to go, so I don't see why there's an exception for footballers. That say though, they can always ask for a delay.

I think in Korea, no matter who you are, you have to go for national service sooner or later. I learned that even pop singers would have to go, so I don't see why there's an exception for footballers. That say though, they can always ask for a delay.

Some footballers won't need to...like the name you see below, who's nearly 30 and hasn't done any national service. :)

Has Park Ji-Sung done national service?

maybe they'll make him do it when he retires. :D

I think the mandatory military service is for fit males between 20 and 30 years old (I know that because one of my uni mates just turned 20, and left Canada for Korea to fulfill his duties. Won't see him for 2 years :( ). And since he's 30, I think he's exempt. He's considered a hero in South Korea anyways.

Worst case he can pull the excuse that he's physical incapable to doing military service, due to the stress of playing football on his body. Or say 'I served the country already! Don't you see my 100+ caps?' :p

Surprised to see this in the game and I only found this out before this thread came out while scouting a South Korean. The amount of time to serve in the military is cut to 15 (or 18) months starting in late 2011/early 2012. Don't exactly remember those dates. But (going totally off topic now :p) as long as there is 'officially' a war between the North and the South there will always be mandatory military service for the majority of South Koreans.

In the North, fit male citizens have to serve 10-15 years in the military.

Completely off-topic, but if you're a pacifist or conscientious objector, can you get your Nat. Service channelled into a different area, e.g. firefighting for 2 years?

i should imagine in the North that no one even tries to object for fear of ending up as Kim Jong Il's footstool.

Completely off-topic, but if you're a pacifist or conscientious objector, can you get your Nat. Service channelled into a different area, e.g. firefighting for 2 years?

I don't think service can be channeled in an area like fire fighting...you're not exacting defending your country as a firefighter. :p

And South Korea imprisons conscientious objector so...lol

In Singapore there's no question. You MUST serve by law. If not it's jail for you.

Although, I somehow managed to get myself exempted. Long story. :p

Archived