What type of manager are you?

After reading something Fergie said recently about how he has had to change the way he deals with players, I thought I would start a post on the subject.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/9202453.stm

Are you a hardliner your word is law or do you go for the softly softly approach, or somewhere inbetween. This applies to all FMs'.

I'm a hardliner. It's my way or no way.

Actually, I vary it from game to game. So, while I always have the same name, dob, nationality, etc (i.e. I'm "me"), I might have a different persona in each game.

For example, I've started one game with all the South American leagues loaded and I'm a fiery Irishman, constantly getting involved in spats with other managers, and managing my players with an iron fist, with the interesting juxtoposition that my tactics allow them to express themselves (well, I am managing Boca Juniors with the mecurial Riquelme) and play with a free reign.

Conversely, I have another game with all the UK and Irish leagues loaded and I've started in Division One with Shelbourne who were once 3-0 up against Rangers IRL (true story - they lost 5-3, but still, it was great for a while). In that game, I'm a bit more laid back, chatty and pleasant with the media, generally friendly with other managers, apart from people who are divs. Generally, I'm good with the players, apart from pointless sendings off, then I hardline it, which has ultimately led to captain Joe Dolan being sacked after throwing an emo after being fined one week's wages for his THIRD sending off of the season.

So I do vary from game to game, depending on the 'persona' I adopt which is generally based around a facet of my IRL personality.

Normally I react and manage as I would do in real life; in line with my personality.

I refuse to comment during press conferences on referee decisions. No comment everytime.

I stick with my players until they really start to anger me (does take a while).

I don't get into mud fights with other managers (unless they start one ;))

I talk to my players a lot but never apologise if something goes wrong with the conversation (I'm the boss, you know).

The "Nice and patient father type", you know.

I am probably what would be considered "stand-offish" ... in that I cannot be bothered with the media, I almost never comment on other managers/teams/dangermen, I never have player interactions, other than PPMs and tutoring (unless the plyer requests one), and I almost never comment on own player performances.

1 weeks fine for a general straight red, 2 weeks for a wild lunge or a punch (which has happened!)

I generally just warn players who get two yellows. I avoid the terrible, terrible press conferences like the plague, but I'm really hardline in player interactions (even though it's more than a bit buggy and results in temper tantrums more often than not).

In terms of squad loyalty, I have none. I "occasionally" have a star player who I keep (Tsigalko and Beretta for example), but otherwise I have a "Euthanasia Policy" of selling everyone aged 31+ as soon as I join a club and if I see a player who will improve my squad then the existing player is as good as gone. On more than one occasion I've sold and bought an entire squad in one transfer window!

Oh, and I also only buy players with a decent Determination stat, as I expect all my players to perform to their utmost under any circumstances. If I see "looks complacent" on one player three games in a row, they're transfer listed no matter who they are.

So yes... I'm a bit of a strict manager ^^

I don't engage with the media at all and will only interact with other managers if they throw the first punch (or blow the first kiss).

I trust and respect my backroom staff, choosing only to follow adivce that is agreed with by other coaches. My assistant will attend all press conferences, do all team talks and opposition instructions and sometimes pick the team.

On the other hand I treat my players based on how they act. If they choose to act like petty children then they will be treated as such. If they want to be reckless red carders then I treat them with a fine after several warnings. If they start bitching about wanting to leave then I tell them they ain't going nowhere. If they start bitching about not getting matches I tell them where to stick it. If they don't moan and put the effort in on the pitch then I reward them with more 1st team starts and better contracts.

And I never accept job offers from other clubs. As far as I'm concerned I have a contract and will honour it until I get the sack, retire or die.

I'm very disloyal to my players, I use them and throw then them away. I sign backup players with a key man status promise and sell them after six months and sign some others with the same promise.

I usually don’t talk with players, if someone is unhappy I sell them straight away, but on my terms, no one gets their transfer request granted, I reject their transfer request, move them to the reserves, change their status to not needed and in the first transfer window that comes I’ll sell them. If no one wants to give me money for them I’ll sell tem for 50 % of the next transfer or totally for free, in the worst case I’ll release them after a mutual agreement or even without it, if the latter is to expensive I can think of loaning them out with covered wage expenses.

I criticize only my best player (or the best 2-3 players) for poor runs of form, I never give praise. If a player repeats a below 5,5 performances (when the rest of the team plays good) then they will never more see first team football, I’ll just sell them without any explanation. Apart from the first press conference, I never do them, I don’t comment on anything, enquiries on players worth or media speculations on transfers is a big no. I never accept offers for buying my players, except when I my self offer them to clubs.

My ass man runs the teamtalk I only change what he says when he gives too much of praise or critique, I change that to "none". I find it impossible being as you really are IRL and succeed in FM, so the above is a game strategy that I use.

A terrible one... I've played this game since Fm05 and I'm still so terrible... I played half a season with Liverpool, was mid table and got fired after losing 3-0 to Fulham. Then I started a Newcastle save and lost 3-0 on the opening day to Sunderland. Then lost my 2nd game 1-0 at home to Wolves. Thinking I need to study these forums more. I'm thinking about starting another save with Chelsea. I just need to keep it basic and I should win right? Someone help me!

I don't engage with the media at all and will only interact with other managers if they throw the first punch (or blow the first kiss).

And I never accept job offers from other clubs. As far as I'm concerned I have a contract and will honour it until I get the sack, retire or die.

Everything you posted is the exact philosophy I apply to my management :)

Although I do sometimes fool around in the media, a bit. Just for a lark or with the hope of unsettling someone, with no real expectation of doing that of course :) And I handle my own press conferences.

Strict and all about discipline, being a former Marine that's pretty natural.

However it's especially frustrating because it's the one thing you really have little control over. Always see my teams racking up twice as many fouls as the opponent and even chancing tackling to lighter doesn't really help, really wish there was a way to discipline players instead of just red cards and poor matches. But nothing infuriates me more then seeing my defenders off picking their nose somewhere instead of in a proper position, sadly this is often due to poor AI however.

So many times I've wanted to be standing in front of real players pointing to a replay and asking 'What were you thinking?' nice and calm before ripping into them hard. lol

I just try to be myself and usually that works best for me.

Strict when a player get's send off and avoiding press as much as possible but the press conferences I do handle myself, I just don't trust my assman enough.

I only talk to my players when I really have to but when a player is playing above expectations for a while or gets a best player of the month award I praise them.

Transfer wise I always try to get the best player possible for the least amount of money and I sometimes even watch them play for their current club in advance and praise them when they had a good game just to be sure he knows I really want him.

I try to rule with a rod of iron.

Compliment and reward players for playing well.

Criticise them accordingly, move them to reserves when they aren't!

Sell them if they're just demanding too much (or especially with FM2011 & the new player interaction...acting like a 5 yr old) ;)

Always always, warn players for getting sent off (yellow then a red). :confused:

Always instant 1 week fine for an instant red, then 2 week fine if they do it again anytime soon. :mad:

Try not to be too critical in team talks at home, be more forgiving away. But sometimes the plain old hair dryer is just what they need.

Won the league, as champions few times (108 points best ever finish), got to ONE yes just ONE major final (FA cup) got pulverised and the Euro cup once (also humiliated). :(

So i guess i'm just ya average manager. I'd love to win lots of matches, and league and trophies like alot of the FM players on here.

Sadly, as an NUFC in FM and real life...i can dream!

emu-puppet.jpg

:D

QUOTE]

lol thats emU not emO :D

back on topic, im defo a hardline manager, as soon as any player complains to me (for being dropped into the reserves for instance) i always say that i hope they will be professional and continue doing their job, if they continue to moan ill always say im amazed at the lack of professionalism they are showing, normally they back down after that with a quick apology!

I have a hard time letting my existing players go even if they are not that good or acting childish. I guess that's what happens when you manage your fav team.

This results in a pretty crowded team. I can't play everybody and as the season wears on I don't want to play them even more because they aren't fit. Poor Brad Jones.

Archived