How old is the oldest player you have ever signed

94193361.th.jpg

Surprisingly this guy is a hell of a lot better than my current goalkeeper, at 42 he is easily the oldest player I have signed. I did sign Rivaldo on FM10 and I am not sure which FM it was that I bought a 40 year old Romario on. Just got me thinking what is the oldest player you have ever signed?

Hugo Lloris -23 on FM11 :p

The oldest was probably Gabriel Batistuta (sp?) at 35, it always took a few seasons before he would leave Roma.

....I'm a bit of a Wenger with my signings, which are usually young cheap players. :)

EDIT: Actually more like Ferguson...some players do cost a bit more but they do turn out to be quality players haha

For an outfield player, a 36-year-old Lionel Messi! I've also signed older goalkeepers as backup.

Messi recently made his league debut for me as he terrorised Hinckley in the Premier League with his slow legs and walking stick, deployed on the right wing. He also made 2 appearances in the Champions League in central midfield where his passing was a little naff but he was still capable of dribbling into space and finding opportunities in the final third.

Just bought a 43 year old centre-back on a free.

Will never play him.

At my level, it's actually cheaper to give a player/assistant a wage, rather than just an assistant - £20 a week. Hopefully he'll retire at the end of the season and carry on as staff.

Played a game as Wolves Casuals in tier 9 in England. As you can imagine, the "talent" I have and can attract is very limited. So I signed a D/S C at the tender age of 48 :)

As a division side, in one of the older games, I always signed Eric Young at 42 on a Free Transfer. Very good central defender.

Kevin Poole, several years ago when he was 44. Was for a lower league side, can't remember who. Started him immediately, he conceded five in a 6-1 defeat on his debut. I took him off after an hour. I fined him then released him - then never played that save again xD

Haven't really been beaten like that ever since in a league game but I remember that one vividly. Closest I've ever been to punching a wall whilst playing FM xD

Mike Pollitt - 39, for my Hereford team, but then again I got him because he was going to be a pretty good GK coach

Have to laugh at that post I did exactly the same thing for the same reason :D

I have Jason Euell at 35 he is pretty decent in League 2 also my GK is Theirry Goree who is 36 and has excellent reflexes.

Must have been Imre Varadi (journeyman, ex Newcastle, Sheff W...) at the age of 46, I believe.

Until SI did a clean-up a few years ago (2005, 2006?), there existed several English players in the db whose careers ended in the 90s but never were deleted. Micky Gynn was another such favourite who I often would sign for clubs in Conference N/S, where he could do reasonably well. Sadly these players often retired after the first season.

During the last decade of FM playing, I have in general found myself increasingly favouring older players in the transfer policy. It really developed into some kind of geriophilia, the reason being that I grew tired of how easy it is to succeed in both discovering and nurturing talent in the game.

That's a recent one for me. On FM10 I signed a 38-year-old Tim Howard for Sunderland. The intention was for him to be first choice but he was away with the USA squad throughout the summer friendlies and Tomasz Kuszczak (35) played so well that I couldn't drop him. He then played even better for the opening competitive games that Howard is still waiting to play a league game.

Archived