Idea- "set player targets"

idea for fm09. in the player interaction menu before the season starts you could set players targets, for instance you could say to Torres "i am giving you a target of 20 league goals this season" and maybe offer them financial rewards or something if they achieve it.

idea for fm09. in the player interaction menu before the season starts you could set players targets, for instance you could say to Torres "i am giving you a target of 20 league goals this season" and maybe offer them financial rewards or something if they achieve it.

benitez sets his players targets i think. In Gerrards autobiography the year liverpool won the FA cup benitez set gerrard a target of 25 goals and gerrard got 23 and benitez told him with a smile on his face "you missed your target" (or something of the likes)

I'm not sure we have enough concrete here to say for certain whether it would be a pleasure or distressing.

Front Office Football: The College Years had a number of good points, but it also had a feature where you had to go through each player once per season and assign their "time usage", things like "weight room", "studying", "practice", etc. As a mechanic, it worked and was interesting - but the implementation forced you to do this for every player or bad things would happen.

That took it from "fun" to "time consuming nuisance". I'd worry about some implementations of this having the same thing.

. . .

As for performance incentive clauses, they're the norm in American sports contracts: an American football player's contract might be:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">$2,000,000 signing bonus

$ 750,000 salary per-annum

$ 250,000 bonus for reaching 1,000 yards rushing in a season

$ 500,000 bonus for scoring 10 touchdowns in a season

$ 500,000 bonus if team wins the Super Bowl

$ 500,000 bonus if player named to Pro Bowl

$1,000,000 bonus for reaching 1,800 yards rushing in a season </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In fact, a lot of contracts include "escalator" clauses, so maybe its:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> $ 750,000 salary in 2007

$ 750,000 salary in 2008

$ 900,000 salary in 2009

$1,000,000 salary in 2010

but if the player achieves 1,500 yards rushing in any season, the subsequent years have the following base salary:

$1,500,000 salary in 2008

$2,000,000 salary in 2009

$2,000,000 salary in 2010 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that football contracts had similar complexity, bonuses, etc.

Certainly according to UEFA, maybe FIFA, you cannot offer any player a financial bonus that is not part of their contract. So you can't offer someone £50k for reaching some target you set at the start of the season.

Rather than setting targets, I'd see this as something we can do through the media.

Improving contract clauses, bonuses etc would be a whole other thing, one I'd welcome.

I seem to remember this being mooted for a previous version. I even remember seeing a screenshot (mocked up or otherwise, I can't remember,) for players target of 20 goals a season. Can't remember which version though - it might even be as far back as CM4.

I remember that Harry Redknapp set Yakubu a target of 20 goals. On the last day of the season he scored four goals to take his total to 19. I've never seen anyone so gutted at spurning a chance for a fifth!

This could also apply to contract renewals. Kanu and Primus both have to play a certain number of games to get another year on their contract - I don't think either will make it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cornelius11:

its a nice idea, but shouldnt the players go out and play for the jersey anyway. they shouldnt need to be payed more as many are paid too much anyways. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That should be part of the feature IMO. If you set a certain target for a player, he might think that target was unneccesary, so react negatively to it.

At the moment I have far more interest in the game play being improved then seeing more features added.

My second priority is to see current features improved.

New features seem to take a few generations to "get right." Team-talks and media/player interaction still have a ways to go.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DominicForza:

At the moment I have far more interest in the game play being improved then seeing more features added.

New features seem to take a few generations to "get right." Team-talks and media/player interaction still have a ways to go. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

even I absolutly agree with you, but isn't that sad?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mitja:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DominicForza:

New features seem to take a few generations to "get right." Team-talks and media/player interaction still have a ways to go. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

even I absolutly agree with you, but isn't that sad? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sad, but absolutely true. So much needs to improve before giving too much credence to new features. As others have said, it takes a while to get new features right, so focus on what's already there first!

How far do you take it though?

Does it impact on player morale?

If he is injured for part of the season and doesnt score 20 goals is he deeply upset?

If you already have the league wrapped up adn rest your star so he is fit for champions league games does he request a transfer?

If you substitute him on the last league game of the season and he is on 19 goals does he go on strike?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jakeo_06:

idea for fm09. in the player interaction menu before the season starts you could set players targets, for instance you could say to Torres "i am giving you a target of 20 league goals this season" and maybe offer them financial rewards or something if they achieve it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Like setting Joey Barton the target of playing a full season without getting arrested?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cudman:

How far do you take it though?

Does it impact on player morale?

If he is injured for part of the season and doesnt score 20 goals is he deeply upset?

If you already have the league wrapped up adn rest your star so he is fit for champions league games does he request a transfer?

If you substitute him on the last league game of the season and he is on 19 goals does he go on strike? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah... But isn't that the beauty of the idea. Same old concept with a twist its a icon14.gif from me

Archived