Goalkeeper is a winger?!

Hi all, I was shown a screenshot of a EURO 2012 match between Russia and Ukraine. Everything was fine, except that the player was given a report regarding his Goalkeeper Kostyantyn Makhnovskyi (Polish outfit Legia Warsaw) that played in this game. Again, everything seems to be OK, but here's the kicker. His goalie played as a... AM L! Situation repeated during Ukraine - Italy game. Can anyone tell me what's going on?

capture11162010173542.png

capture11162010175941.png

the GK can probably play on the wing. Peter Cech started life as a winger in his youth team and Sheffield Wednesday's legendry keeper Kevin Pressman often said he could also play on the wing if required, it's rare in real life that a GK can/does play outfield positions and i don't think i've ever seen/heard of a keeper starting outfield and i can't see why it's in the game but it's not impossible. have you a screenie of the player's ratings for each position (if they're even on FM2011) and/or his outfield attributes

Other way round - North Korea's striker was also a goalkeeper - they forgot to register three keepers (as per FIFA regulations) and so had to amend his status for the competition. Poor bloke - decent striker in their domestic league but forced thorough the incompetence of others, on the biggest stage he'll ever be on, to be their third choice goalkeeper. You've got to feel for the lad.

I had this happen against me with Tim Wiese late in a game when they were down and in the process of being knocked out. I think they put him on the left at the top of a 4-2-4 (and he swapped jerseys with someone who went in goal). I assumed it was like a deliberate late push to put the big guy up front to get a goal.

'Goalkeeper' is just another position on the field. It's not so fundamentally different that no outfield player on earth could possibly double as a stand-in between the sticks, and vice versa.

PS. You will want to check Wayne Rooney's Positions for a pleasant surprise! He used to play GK for Everton youths iirc.

wow.....some people will defend the game to death it seems :|

the keeper the OP mentioned CAN NOT play any other position aside from GK.... NON.... so this is a bug and should be reported.

and even if we assume that the keeper can play as an AML too, what manger in his right mind would prefer to start with him instead of a real winger?

thats like starting huntelaar/rooney in goal in the champions league...... how ridiculous would that be?

the keeper the OP mentioned CAN NOT play any other position aside from GK.... NON.... so this is a bug and should be reported.

and even if we assume that the keeper can play as an AML too, what manger in his right mind would prefer to start with him instead of a real winger?

thats like starting huntelaar/rooney in goal in the champions league...... how ridiculous would that be?

Even if he did have Competent as AML he'd maybe play there in absolute emergency for his Club, but for his Nation to do so is ridiculous.

Archived