Help Please? Starting Unemployed

I am thinking of starting a new save unemployed or with a lower league team. I am interested in working my way up to a premier team. I have never gone about this. Any tips/help? Would it be best to start unemployed? If so, do I just apply to be a coach? Any help would be much appreciated.

Might be a LONG time before you get a job.

In my experience I usually get a job offer before the second season. I suppose it would depend on how many leagues are loaded and which ones, as well as your manager experience though (I leave mine at Automatic.)

I haven't done this for a few versions but, if it it still the same, then unless you start as manager with experience of playing at a high level, you will wait forever for a job and it will be a terrible job with no chance of achievement no matter how many years you invest.

I found the experience quite soul-destroying.

I had got some decent offers (in Fm 10) at League Two level even when playing with a rep of Semi Professional Footballer..of course you are not going to be offered the job at the best club in the league..and more importantly you should have the patience enough specially when on a losing/winless streak :)

It's a great way to play, I always do it.

When you pick a team you often pick a team you like and as such are more reluctant to leave. Taking whatever job you're offered you don't feel as bad when you leave the club, as it's just that, a job.

I start unemployed and holiday with 'apply for all jobs' and 'return when offered a job' ticked. Normally I take the first job offered, I have rejected some for various reasons.

There's 2 main ways to do it.

- Manage the team but always looking to move up when you can. You only spend a year or 2 at most clubs doing this, sometimes less.

- Take each team as far as you think they can go, most teams will level out at some point, depending on stadium and finances. You can either sit back and wait for a while to get a new stadium or a take over, or just move on. You can spend anywhere between 2-5 years, sometimes more, at each club.

I find I spend more time at each club as the game progresses, like 6 months in the first job, then 1-2 years at the next club, then 3-5, and after that it's usually at least 5 years unless I get sick of the club or a dream job pops up. Taking a national job breaks it up a bit as well, sometimes while managing a club and sometimes just the national job by itself.

In these types of career games I just move on, I used to do the old take a club all the way from Conference to Premiership back in old days, now I prefer to just take different jobs and move up through the ranks like a real life manager.

My most favourite games have been when I've started low and moved around to different countries while making my way up to the top clubs.

i agree with honkydick (never thought id say that) but starting unemployed is fantastic much more of an achievment, on fm10 usually takes 2 months and ur in charge of a team of a team that is rock bottom of there league and u gotta turn it right round and its not in a transfer window...i love it, havnt done it in fm11 yet but will at some point

good luck

I haven't done this for a few versions but, if it it still the same, then unless you start as manager with experience of playing at a high level, you will wait forever for a job and it will be a terrible job with no chance of achievement no matter how many years you invest.

I found the experience quite soul-destroying.

I started unemployed with a Sunday League reputation and picked up the Havant & Waterlooville job (predicted to finish 5th in the BSS, but were near the bottom of the table) in October of the first season.

Archived