Playing as an underdog too effective?

I can't create **** when playing as a massive favourite. Underdogs are dominating possession and scoring pretty much from their only attack...especially at home I can't do any harm to any defences. My players seem very stupid and slow with the ball and only shooting from long range. Even when the odds are like 1.17 for me and I'm playing full attacking style it's looks like too easy to defend against and every time I lose possession opponents create something dangerous. The weaker the opponent the worse the results get! It's the same when I'm an underdog going to a game against major favourite...I always seem to get a result but I score from my only chance while opponent keep on missing even the easiest chances.

It's not tactics as I'm aware what I should be doing and how to set up my team and I did pretty good in FM10 but now it seems just mission impossible! Anyone experiencing the same? My scoring ratio is well below 1,00 per game although I'm playing very attacking style with decent teams like Charlton and RBC

I can't create **** when playing as a massive favourite. Underdogs are dominating possession and scoring pretty much from their only attack...especially at home I can't do any harm to any defences. My players seem very stupid and slow with the ball and only shooting from long range. Even when the odds are like 1.17 for me and I'm playing full attacking style it's looks like too easy to defend against and every time I lose possession opponents create something dangerous. The weaker the opponent the worse the results get! It's the same when I'm an underdog going to a game against major favourite...I always seem to get a result but I score from my only chance while opponent keep on missing even the easiest chances.

It's not tactics as I'm aware what I should be doing and how to set up my team and I did pretty good in FM10 but now it seems just mission impossible! Anyone experiencing the same? My scoring ratio is well below 1,00 per game although I'm playing very attacking style with decent teams like Charlton and RBC

Has been a general gripe of mine for 3 releases now. It is not unbeatable if you read up on team talks & team mentalities but it is harder work than against more favoured teams.

It more than likely is tactics, success in Fm10 means nothing right now.

Your problem is more than likely your all out attack style. Underdogs will more than likely pack the midfield and defence and be difficult to break down, by going straight at them you play into their hands. Use a more controlling strategy with passes to feet and widening the pitch, dropping deeper also giving your team more space. Sometimes it takes a more patient approach. You want your team controlling the ball and waiting for spaces.

Look into team talks too.

It more than likely is tactics, success in Fm10 means nothing right now.

Your problem is more than likely your all out attack style. Underdogs will more than likely pack the midfield and defence and be difficult to break down, by going straight at them you play into their hands. Use a more controlling strategy with passes to feet and widening the pitch, dropping deeper also giving your team more space. Sometimes it takes a more patient approach. You want your team controlling the ball and waiting for spaces.

Look into team talks too.

I agree. I really struggle against teams playing a compact, packed 4-1-4-1 because they basically have 9 men in their own half, waiting for my team to loose the ball. When I play an all out attack tactic against those teams, I can't create good opportunities and I always get punished by some counter-attacks (and some frustrating long shots, too). I find that playing a shorter style, with a slower tempo, lowering CD and D-Line seems to do the trick.

Once the first goal is scored, it becomes much easier.

Advice given above is quite good. In situations where you are clear favourite, I've had some success doing the opposite of what you might expect. Instead of going on full attack, try counter-attack to draw the other team out of their tight defensive formation and open up some space. When you are ahead by a goal or two is when you can go on full attack to finish them off, as they will be forced to play more open play to try to get back in the game.

Lack of motivation for a clear favourite, and underdogs being psyched up is not just an FM myth - look at Chelsea v Sunderland on the weekend. It can make all the difference in the game and completely nullify huge gaps in technical ability.

I fyyou are playing full attacking style against a very defensive opposition, then it IS your tactics.

If they defend well, they will have a very good chance to win against that tactic. You should try a control approach instead. Reduces the risk of counter attacks as possession should be going your way a lot and your players then patiently try to find a gap opening up in the defence. That works more often than an all men forward against the wall approach.

Archived