Match Engine: One step up, two steps back

Well,

I suppose every year is the same thing...

Everybody was happy playing FM2010.3, with a match engine that really show what your tactic suppose to be, and we all go to the new FM2011.1 and:

"man, i choose player A as my playmaker... but he dont get the ball"

"what a hell, i tell to the winger to cut inside... so why then always stick to the line???"

"my centre back dont put any pressure in the opponent fowards"

and so on...

The truth is... i dont understand, if FM2010.3 had an excelent match engine, why it seems that FM2011 match engine is so crappy? Do the guys from SI got all the work from FM2010 engine to the garbage, and start from scrath? Because every years it seems they do that! :confused:

I know that the match engine, and the tactics is like a little Pandora Box... we move one slider a little bit to the right or left... and that enough to get an 100% victory tactic... or... one crappy one. Why this happens? I dont know... but trully i dont care...

What i really like, is that the match engine "shows" in the pitch what my tactic is (good or bad)... and FM2010.3 match engine shows that! And it was great....

It's like we need, every year, to wait to patch 3 or 4, to get the match engine really working....

In conclusion...

get me FM2011, with the match engine from FM2010.3... AND ITS THE BEST FOOTBALL MANAGER EVER.... ;)

Until, then... waiting for the next patch!

Yes, agreed, I would love 10.3 match engine with the non-engine changes of 11 / 11.1

What ***** me to no end is that about 80% of the goals my team score are done through a nice slow build up play with a through ball or clever one-two

And pretty much EVERY SINGLE goal I concede is either:

* spot kick

* corner where the defender barely moves / doesn't attempt to mark player

* cross or low flat pass into the 6 yard box where they somehow always manage to tap it in using that slide tackle animation

* the odd freak long shot from well outside the box (but with def. tactics I've been able to somewhat mitigate this

can't remember the last time I've conceded in another fashion but it's getting frustrating

SI started developing FM 2011 before 10.3 was out so it doesn't have all the improvements. That's what I think tho.

I really hope not! i mean... If they to that they will throw in the trash months of work (and feedback from the users), just for in the next year start everything all over again.

Yes, agreed, I would love 10.3 match engine with the non-engine changes of 11 / 11.1

What ***** me to no end is that about 80% of the goals my team score are done through a nice slow build up play with a through ball or clever one-two

And pretty much EVERY SINGLE goal I concede is either:

* spot kick

* corner where the defender barely moves / doesn't attempt to mark player

* cross or low flat pass into the 6 yard box where they somehow always manage to tap it in using that slide tackle animation

* the odd freak long shot from well outside the box (but with def. tactics I've been able to somewhat mitigate this

can't remember the last time I've conceded in another fashion but it's getting frustrating

I have the same exact problem. My team scores for fun but exactly all of my conceded goals have come from those sitations as you posted.

Did, at any point of testing the current engine, someone say "hang on, perhaps there are a few too many goals scored from crosses?"

It's phenomenal how effective any cross around the six yard box is. Keepers don't come out, defenders stand still and strikers have a field day.

Have to disagree here, I think the new ME is MUCH better than the 10.3 one.

At least crosses work this time. Under 10.3, you can never score from crosses because either it hits the first man or the forward heads the ball over the bar from six yards out.

Much prefer this version in terms of the variety of goals scored.

I agree with the OP, have found FM11 incredibly frustrating, with little consistency in any of the teams that I have tried to manage. One day they're world beaters, the next game they wouldn't hold their own against my 8 y/o's primary school team, and with no discernible difference in morale, tactics, approach etc... Admittedly I am assuming that its not me, but given that on FM10, when my team was priced as favourites I won a large majority of the time, but now I am forced to play very defensive unless I am better than a 2:1 favourite ! (and usually scrape a draw, if I'm lucky). I am consigning FM11 to the bottom of the drawer and am returning to FM10 until my self-esteem returns...sob....

The major point for me is very simple...

In FM2010.3, if i set my team to play "down the flanks", when i was watching the game i saw that. of course sometimes they play by the middle, but i could see the winger and the fullbacks much more involved in the game, mores crosses, etc etc...

In FM2011.1.1 i set my team to play "down the flanks" and they play the exact same way as if i said "play trough the middle"...

This is just an example...

For me, the match engine dont reflect my tactic instruction, and that REALLY REALLY frustrating....

Have to disagree here, I think the new ME is MUCH better than the 10.3 one.

At least crosses work this time. Under 10.3, you can never score from crosses because either it hits the first man or the forward heads the ball over the bar from six yards out.

Much prefer this version in terms of the variety of goals scored.

I scored lots of goals from crosses in 10.3. My wingers would often cut in and win the header to head it home.

but how, 10.3 was excellent and now look at 11.1.1 it's below average (at least in my opinion)

Agreed o_O It boggles the mind. However, it would also mean that maybe all issues would be sorted in a future patch (HOPEFULLY in 11.2).

I have faith that SI will come through

11.1 isn't perfect but the match is so much better to watch now. There are some glitches in terms of certain events occurring too frequently, but the quality of the play is excellent. How can you think 10.3 was better when it never really had goalmouth scrambles or headed goals? You can also really appreciate flair in this version. 10.3 was like watching pinball by comparison IMO.

The ME for 11.0 is a far better one compared to 11.1 or 11.1.1. Currently uninstalled the patch and playing as Southampton and i must say there are no more of those stupid defenders missing the header or players allowing the opposition to walk through to score

Crosses are incredibly effective in this game and whenever a pacey cross gets into the box my defenders just stand there and watch it hit the back of the net. My keeper can't do sh*t and it's very frustrating. Long shots are even worse... I've just finished a game where I was 2-0 ahead against Auxerre but somehow they manage to score three 35 yard belters. I'm enjoying this game very much but I really hope SI can fix this...

Crosses are incredibly effective in this game and whenever a pacey cross gets into the box my defenders just stand there and watch it hit the back of the net. My keeper can't do sh*t and it's very frustrating.

Sounds like Pro Evo '11 :D

Archived