If you have 2 games a week, do you rest players?

I quite often rest the first team from training for a week at a time if the games are coming thick and fast. If I don't I end up with too many injuries.

I'm in the Conf South though so stamina/strength stats aren't great.

I constantly rotate my squad, keeping an eye on big games coming up in the fixtures.

usually for opening day of the season I pick the strongest squad. Depending on whether a big team is next in the fixtures. If it is a big team then instead of the best players I'll pick the people in best condition. Then for playing against smaller teams I'll go with least amount of appearances

So I usually go for "best squad", "best condition", "least amount of games played". This keeps players fresh and gives the 25 man squad a good rotation ensuring happiness, well being, fitness and everyone gets their game so there is no moaning.

Giving players a 3 day break from training can work wonders, its how I keep my team fit over tough periods. Even if you drop them for the next game it usually means they are ready after at 99/100% condition in just 3 - 4 days time frames.

I try to keep a large enough squad so I can rotate.

You have to do it, it's just common sense really. If you are regularly playing 2 games a week then obviously you need a squad large enough to cope. You can't expect players to perform if they don't have a chance to recuperate.

I never rest players from training, I use squad rotation in my games to keep players fresh.

This.

When I have a packed schedule, after each game I'll clear the selections and sort the team out by fitness. I then go down the list and pick the fittest players for each position. I have 2 players for every position in my first team at all times.

You can often get away without resting from training on 2 a weeks. Maybe a couple of guys if they took a knock and you have suspensions/injuries in the position otherwise you can manage it with rotating the squad. When the games hit 3 a week you have the plan who you want to be fit for which games and rest some a bit :p

I try to keep a large enough squad so I can rotate.

You have to do it, it's just common sense really. If you are regularly playing 2 games a week then obviously you need a squad large enough to cope. You can't expect players to perform if they don't have a chance to recuperate.

And it's difficult to build a large squad without any money.

It a different game for big and small clubs.

It's obvious that you need to rest your players during the week. Nobody can go at 100% week after week, not even the best players, and if you fail to recognize that as a manager you're gonna have injuries and angry players on your worldofpain list.

I rest players pretty frequently, I try to have 95% fitness across the board for a match. Makes a real difference if you have the requisite quality to do so, especially at the lower levels, as most teams operate with a very small squad.

I do rest players and I generally don't like to start anyone under 90%

I like to have backup players who can play both sides of the pitch, or multiple positions to come in and cover. That way I try to have backup players for all areas of the pitch without having a huge squad.

Even 90% I think is too low. Even in important games I would be reluctant to start a player at 90% , key player or not.

The chance of injuries makes it not worth it in my opinion.

EDIT - I meant start a player - I'd use him as a substitute though.

as hull city in the first season of champion ship, im just throwing my players at every match, if they NEED resting, i shall rest, but i wont rest for the sake of resting.

It's not exactly resting for the sake of it though.

It's the best way of avoiding injuries by keeping players as high fitness as possible, which is going to help you over the course of the season.

i've heard it mentioned once or twice but i have never witnessed any fitness issue. i use the stock training but boost the intensity slightly, and my players rarely have any issues playing 2 games in one week.

during a long season i may have one or 2 players that rarely miss a game and are involved in international matches and they can suffer from tiredness, so i rest them for a game and assess them for the next.

i avoid playing players under 90% condition

Archived