The problem with 4 - 2 - 4

I opened this thread expecting to diagree and have a moan about people opening pointless threads and it being your tactics, but I find myself nodding in agreement icon_razz.gif

Length of time for new tactics/substitutions to be implemented is frustrating and can take upto 10 minutes in game time. That delay would be irritating but possibly understandable with subs but when it comes to tactical instructions it should be almost instantanious.

No it really doesn't.

When i go 2-0 up i change to a more conservative approach - this avoids having to wait for your tactics to change.

Similarly, if you're 1-0 up with 20 mins to go, then change it before you have to.

The one blessing with the 4-2-4 is that you know exactly what the AI will do, therefore, if you get caught out, you only have yourself to blame, try and predict the AIs moves to stay ahead of it.

Much better to have the AI reacting to you rather than you reacting to the AI.

Originally posted by tomistuck:

Oh I know how to counter it, its just it takes 4-5 in game minutes for my counter tactic to come into effect, and often by then - they have scored.

Needs changing NOWWW

Absolutely. It might be my imagination, but it does feel like when you make changes before this point they kick in fairly quickly, but when they go 4-2-4 and I instantly hit pause to counter then, I'm tearing my hair out as throw-in after throw-in passes by before my changes take effect - so yes, quicker reaction PLEEEEASE!!!!

Originally posted by turn it upto 11:

i agre subs should come in when the ball goes out(obviously) but tactics should be instant.

you wouldnt see keano shout "defend ffs!!" then the ref go "ah ah ahh wait till the ball goes out sonny jim."

The only problem with this, it that when you make a sub and change tactics to accomodate the sub, you don't want the tactics changing before the guy comes on - otherwise you may get a CF playing at CB for 5mins....

Originally posted by Ched:

The only problem with this, it that when you make a sub and change tactics to accomodate the sub, you don't want the tactics changing before the guy comes on - otherwise you may get a CF playing at CB for 5mins....

Ah good point, i'd never thought of that.

Originally posted by Ched:

No it really doesn't.

When i go 2-0 up i change to a more conservative approach - this avoids having to wait for your tactics to change.

Similarly, if you're 1-0 up with 20 mins to go, then change it before you have to.

The one blessing with the 4-2-4 is that you know exactly what the AI will do, therefore, if you get caught out, you only have yourself to blame, try and predict the AIs moves to stay ahead of it.

Yes except for the fact your now playing really defensive when you dont need to be so they are just going to reap possesion.

Its not a hard fix

Originally posted by tomistuck:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ched:

No it really doesn't.

Yes except for the fact your now playing really defensive when you dont need to be so they are just going to reap possesion.

Its not a hard fix </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You seem to have missed my point.

I chose my words carefully - "more conservative approach" - i don't go for my full 4-2-4 defend tactic - because against a 4-4-2 as you rightly point out all you'd do is give away possession.

Instead, when i feel i've done enough to win the game, i initially stop my FBs running forward - this means that when the AI changes to 4-2-4 there isn't a 10 minute period before my team can counter it.

As i've said, you KNOW what the AI is going to do, and broadly WHEN it's going to happen - if you can't predict something as simple as this then it is entirely your fault if you get caught out.

It's not as if the AI does things differently each time, when the games still in the ballance a losing AI will 80% of the time change to a 4-2-4 around about the 75th-80th minute. Therefore change your tactic in the 70th.

Archived