I have a top idea for SI

You know how whenever you get sacked and have to find a new team, it is a bit unrealistic how decent teams give you a go despite the fact that you completely failed your first ever job and you were lucky to even get that?

Well, there should be some feature where you have to get interviewed for the job. It would be like the press conference and mostly superficial but at least it would give some justification to the fact that a top club is offering you the job despite the fact your record is abysmal.

Plus you could do negotiations such as say the club are choosing between you and Cappello, you could just say you'll take much less wages. Win-win. You get the job, and it is also isnt totally ridiculous that they chose you over cappello because you are cheaper and were good in the interview.

Come to think about it, there probably should be more short-term goals when you interact with the board. So long as it does not make the game too "quest-oriented" it should make the game more interesting and involving.

You build your reputation and preference as you manage, and different boards will take all those details into consideration, examples might be like:

1. Our last manager got thrown out because he couldn't control the dressing room, so we are looking for someone who can really exert his authority over the players.

2. Our team has a long tradition of fast-paced counter-attack and you are just the kind of manager we need.

3. You have an eye for bargain buys, evidenced by your transfer record in the past few years. Our financial situation hasn't been ideal for some time and need a manager who can turn things around without spending too much.

4. Player A used to play under you and has spoken favourably of your approach. He is quite influential with other players so maybe you can bring out the best from them.

Short-term goals could be like "beating relegation rivals", "downsizing the wage bill to xxx", "get 8 points in the next 6 games", "play good football at fan day", etc..

Maybe even add restrictions, like "we'd prefer you buy/cultivate domestic players", "it is very important that you do not damage our public image by criticizing other clubs and the FA" and perhaps "ensure that Player A starts at least 60% matches this season when he is fit". That might not be too fun though...

Some good ideas here, especially from Fall Ark. I'd just like to point out that it isn't that ridiculous for a failed manager to walk into a new job. there are hundreds of examples. Benitez helped break Liverpool and instantly got the job at the champions of europe. Go figure.

Come to think about it, there probably should be more short-term goals when you interact with the board. So long as it does not make the game too "quest-oriented" it should make the game more interesting and involving.

You build your reputation and preference as you manage, and different boards will take all those details into consideration, examples might be like:

1. Our last manager got thrown out because he couldn't control the dressing room, so we are looking for someone who can really exert his authority over the players.

2. Our team has a long tradition of fast-paced counter-attack and you are just the kind of manager we need.

3. You have an eye for bargain buys, evidenced by your transfer record in the past few years. Our financial situation hasn't been ideal for some time and need a manager who can turn things around without spending too much.

4. Player A used to play under you and has spoken favourably of your approach. He is quite influential with other players so maybe you can bring out the best from them.

Short-term goals could be like "beating relegation rivals", "downsizing the wage bill to xxx", "get 8 points in the next 6 games", "play good football at fan day", etc..

Maybe even add restrictions, like "we'd prefer you buy/cultivate domestic players", "it is very important that you do not damage our public image by criticizing other clubs and the FA" and perhaps "ensure that Player A starts at least 60% matches this season when he is fit". That might not be too fun though...

all of the above is class ideas

Some good ideas here, especially from Fall Ark. I'd just like to point out that it isn't that ridiculous for a failed manager to walk into a new job. there are hundreds of examples. Benitez helped break Liverpool and instantly got the job at the champions of europe. Go figure.

Benitez won the European cup and two Primera Liga titles, a failed manager he is not, regardless of his last year with Liverpool.

Benitez won the European cup and two Primera Liga titles, a failed manager he is not, regardless of his last year with Liverpool.

History lessons are not needed. As seen with how he is destroying Inter and barely clinging on to his job, he is not and really never has been a great manager.

Were it not for an injury enforced change he wouldn't have won the CL either.

I put my thing as Sunday League. I started at Udinese, told them I'd win the league (lol). Got sacked in Februray for being 9th. Joined Bilbao in March and stayed there with little/no expectation until October when Tottenham offered me the job.

I'd done nothing impressive at all, but now I am manager of the Europa League and Super Cup winners, a team who are doing well in 6th place. I am doing great for them. I am exploiting all the overly cheap transfers for them. Balotelli is coming for £7.75 m, Rafael for £7 m and Vidal for £4.3 m. Beaten Arsenal and Chelsea in my first handful of games and got them into 3rd.

Would be getting bloody Pastore too if it wasn't for bloody 'match highest earner' clauses. Huddlestone and Gomes are not getting £100k+ just cos Pastore is. Might have to go for Paulo Henrique instead.

If you dont want to be able to walk straight into a decent team after being sacked, dont set your rep to International Footballer.

Point taken, but sort of misses the point of the thread I think.

I think this is a good idea, it would add something to the game in by view.

Sure, lets add something else completely new that would have to be extremely intricate to make it any good or will cause mass complaints if done poorly... yeah lets do that instead of fixing broken things or adding things that actually matter to team management...

you want stuff like that go play the sims.

Sure, lets add something else completely new that would have to be extremely intricate to make it any good or will cause mass complaints if done poorly... yeah lets do that instead of fixing broken things or adding things that actually matter to team management...

you want stuff like that go play the sims.

hmmm yes i'll go play the sims because i want a football game where there might be more interaction with a board in terms of getting a new job.

another pointless post?

hmmm yes i'll go play the sims because i want a football game where there might be more interaction with a board in terms of getting a new job.

another pointless post?

I agree with the other post. I can totally see this new feature being broken and people complaining about never getting a job. I'd like to keep things simple as it is now. The AI is just not smart enough to conduct interview or compare people.

You know how whenever you get sacked and have to find a new team, it is a bit unrealistic how decent teams give you a go despite the fact that you completely failed your first ever job and you were lucky to even get that?

Well, there should be some feature where you have to get interviewed for the job. It would be like the press conference and mostly superficial but at least it would give some justification to the fact that a top club is offering you the job despite the fact your record is abysmal.

Plus you could do negotiations such as say the club are choosing between you and Cappello, you could just say you'll take much less wages. Win-win. You get the job, and it is also isnt totally ridiculous that they chose you over cappello because you are cheaper and were good in the interview.

I agree that it's too easy sometimes to get a decent job after failing/quitting.

However, I don't think the job interview would be so great. Not only it would be superficial, but I think people would have tendency to answer the questions in regard to what the job interviewer want to hear, and not how you really feel (same problem as in press conferences...)...

An idea would be to have the club offering the job to tell you what they expect and how they run things (buyer club vs. club that what to be based on young players...).

I agree with the other post. I can totally see this new feature being broken and people complaining about never getting a job. I'd like to keep things simple as it is now. The AI is just not smart enough to conduct interview or compare people.

it is if its a simple case of building various aspects of your reputation based on your success in various areas, i agree it could potentially be problematic but i was more annoyed with his response. Telling people to go play the sims for a feature that isn't even remotely related to the sims in anyway is rather stupid.

While it won't be the worst idea ever if implemented properly, you would soon find the forums flooded with moaners about how they got sacked over nothing and can't find a decent team to manage now, so they were 'forced' to start a new game.

I do agree with your pressconference and wage negotiations idea though. If a board were to hold lengthy contract negotiations with you, that would be just terrific.

History lessons are not needed. As seen with how he is destroying Inter and barely clinging on to his job, he is not and really never has been a great manager.

Were it not for an injury enforced change he wouldn't have won the CL either.

Yes, let's completely ignore everything that happened in the past, because people should only be judged right now this instant. :rolleyes:

If you were playing FM and had the exact same record Benitez had, you'd be starting a thread on here saying the game is broken if you weren't offered another top job.

On topic, how many managers repeatedly get hired despite spectacular failure wherever they go? Bryan Robson and Peter Reid are the obvious examples, they got so many more jobs after having repeatedly proven themselves incapable. Why? Because they have a high reputation.

Why do you get offered another Premier League job after losing every single game with Man Utd? Because you have a high reputation.

it is if its a simple case of building various aspects of your reputation based on your success in various areas, i agree it could potentially be problematic but i was more annoyed with his response. Telling people to go play the sims for a feature that isn't even remotely related to the sims in anyway is rather stupid.

Guess what man.. the game already does that without some intricate interview process.

You don't get every job you apply for, your rep is taken into account, so much so before you even start the game you select your footballing experience if you set it low and start unemployed you can't get a job for full pro teams, only semi-pro or amateur.

There is certainly a variation whats available as a job. Like my league team being successful for a couple year and trying to get national team jobs, couldn't get England's U21 but I could manager the Greek U21, but couldn't do the full Greek team either.

Your rep, experience, and past success obviously already have an effect. So why do we need an interview system? Again, it would be just another half done AI like the others we have that would do nothing but aggravate people and serve no -REAL- purpose to the game/simulation, at least no purpose that doesn't already exist. It would be pure fluff just like agents are and look at agents, a problematic AI with bugs that need fixing and we could have done without.

I for one would rather have more time spent fixing existing AI issues then creating more.

SnakeXe is spot on, both regarding Benitez and the comments on reputation.

For what it's worth, Benitez has a pretty stunning record of success in football management:

Promotion at Extremadura

Promotion at Tenerife

Two league titles and the UEFA Cup at Valencia

Champions League & FA Cup at Liverpool

Also just look at his record at Liverpool:

- Champions League in 2005.

- FA Cup in 2006 & 3rd in the league.

- Champions League final in 2007.

- Champions League semi-finals in 2008.

- League runners up in 2008/09.

Guess what man.. the game already does that without some intricate interview process.

You don't get every job you apply for, your rep is taken into account, so much so before you even start the game you select your footballing experience if you set it low and start unemployed you can't get a job for full pro teams, only semi-pro or amateur.

There is certainly a variation whats available as a job. Like my league team being successful for a couple year and trying to get national team jobs, couldn't get England's U21 but I could manager the Greek U21, but couldn't do the full Greek team either.

Your rep, experience, and past success obviously already have an effect. So why do we need an interview system? Again, it would be just another half done AI like the others we have that would do nothing but aggravate people and serve no -REAL- purpose to the game/simulation, at least no purpose that doesn't already exist. It would be pure fluff just like agents are and look at agents, a problematic AI with bugs that need fixing and we could have done without.

I for one would rather have more time spent fixing existing AI issues then creating more.

This is missing the point entirely, he's talking about taking that further and developing a good reputation for certain aspects of being a manager. For example, you may have had a lot of success with bargain buys in the transfer market and one particular club might value that because of their financial situation.

Its about taking it to more realistic depth which could pose a few problems in terms of bugs but you'd have to give SI benefit of the doubt. Citing agents as an example is uselss, they have been improved since the demo and are much more realistic, i don't know if you played previous versions of fm but negotiations are now a lot better because of them. Some people have posted issues about ridiculous requests from agents but they've been solved with helpful tips on how to negotiate. As far as i'm concerned agents are an excellent addition to the game and if this feature was implemented just as well it would make fm much better.

Yes I get its about taking it to a whole other level... but when you have AI's in the game that cut good first team players for no reason, offer stars up for free, or over react to the slightest interaction then how in the world do you expect adding MORE flawed AI into the game will improve it.

Hell they screwed the AI up so much in 11 I couldn't hire a simple coach because the board AI wouldn't allow me the bare minimum salary that even the worst coaches demanded.

I'm all for new aspects for a game, but the concept of an interview system is as I said, pure fluff and it would be -FAR- better to fix existing AI uses instead of adding more AI into the game. This entire concept is just like the agent concept, and just like I said months ago... agents are not really any real addition to the game, it's just another flawed AI.

Yes I get its about taking it to a whole other level... but when you have AI's in the game that cut good first team players for no reason, offer stars up for free, or over react to the slightest interaction then how in the world do you expect adding MORE flawed AI into the game will improve it.

Hell they screwed the AI up so much in 11 I couldn't hire a simple coach because the board AI wouldn't allow me the bare minimum salary that even the worst coaches demanded.

I'm all for new aspects for a game, but the concept of an interview system is as I said, pure fluff and it would be -FAR- better to fix existing AI uses instead of adding more AI into the game. This entire concept is just like the agent concept, and just like I said months ago... agents are not really any real addition to the game, it's just another flawed AI.

as i have already said i haven't found agents to be flawed in any way since 11.1 its an issue of how people negotiate. Agents have added a new level to negotiations that actually make it easier with new contracts as you can do all the negotiating in one go without having to continue.

That hardly happens any more in the game industry nowadays. Look at how SI marketed FM in the past few years. Every time it's about a large amount of new features and "complete revamps". FM is a cash cow franchise and no sane companies would go "whelp, let's just fix some bugs and update the database and maybe sell the patch to the customers". Fixing the match engine, the transfer market etc. will not interfere with developing new features and vice versa.

So long as they need new features in every new game, why not make it something that can engage the players more in the mundane areas of the game. The player/agent/media/board interaction interface this year is definitely an improvement over previous versions. The board feel more human now. You can actually talk to them instead of the routine "request, fail, ultimatum, sack" before. The players confront you with more issues and you can have a feel of control over them when things go right. Yes they can be fickle and random, and yes sometimes it just doesn't make sense, but that has more to do with the actual implementation, not with the idea/function itself.

The player manager's attributes and tendencies are something that has been in the game for a long while but have few if any in-game impacts. Even manager tendencies are something new -- though they still don't feel real enough due to myriads of reasons. It is something that needs to be utilized more, and what suits it more than finding a new job does? After all, simply click an "apply job" and being told it's unsuccessful after a few days is not very satisfactory at all. Why shouldn't the board of a club or the FA of a country have preferences and demands for their future manager? At the very least I would like to be told why they choose another manager over me: is it because of my reputation is lower? My recent record is not very good? I have bought many flops? Or that they prefer a manager already has experience in promotions or in the top league? "Interviews" should not be something just to please the board, but something that has effects in the long run. You will be judged by your promises and (hopefully) every club you manage, every board you confront, every player you have and every opponent you face will truly be a unique experience.

Plus. It would not be a boring thing. Why? Because it's not repetitive enough to be a nuisance. Team talks and press conferences become bland pretty fast because there aren't enough variations and they are, well, extremely repetitive. Any problem in transfer market gets very obvious because each transfer window there are hundreds and hundreds of transfers happening and odd cases highlight themselves. Job interviews. on the other hand? Even if you play a journeyman game it would not be very often. And in a sense it would be like setting a difficulty level for your job (because there are all kinds of promises and expectations that you need to fulfill and maybe restrictions you have to obey), and if you don't want the hassle, I don't see why there can't be a "plain and simple" button, and at the very least you could just add a new manager.

So again, that's my argument for more board interactions, including possible job interviews.

That hardly happens any more in the game industry nowadays. Look at how SI marketed FM in the past few years. Every time it's about a large amount of new features and "complete revamps".

With 3D things will get worse because developing resourcers are used only for 3D which has basically no gameplay impact. Miles said there are 400 new features. I wonder then what is a feature.

With 3D things will get worse because developing resourcers are used only for 3D which has basically no gameplay impact. Miles said there are 400 new features. I wonder then what is a feature.

To be honest though, player animation this year is a massive improvement over the last two versions. And what "gameplay impact" is there to explore, really? The match engine is either realistic or not (usually not, but hey). Cosmetic features add to the immersion, and that's a big plus for me.

After all, there's no going back to 2D or even text-based manager games.....Ah, here's a probably relevant link.

To be honest though, player animation this year is a massive improvement over the last two versions. And what "gameplay impact" is there to explore, really? The match engine is either realistic or not (usually not, but hey). Cosmetic features add to the immersion, and that's a big plus for me.

After all, there's no going back to 2D or even text-based manager games.....Ah, here's a probably relevant link.

We're not understanding. I'm not complaining the development of 3D, I'm complaining the lack of gameplay development with things like those discussed in this thread.

Can we list by ourself the 400 features? I don't think so.

Job interview can have gameplay impact, 3D animation don't. A new training (is in FM11 a new training like it was advertised?!?!) have impact...

I'm not saying there has to be a proper interview, where they jusdge your answers and compare you/

Just SOMETHING to justify them giving the job to a completely useless idiot like me. The decison making could be the same as before, (IE. Pot luck crossed with reputation). But at least put an interview in so it feels like there is some sort of reason for you getting it.

Ì like Fall Ark's idea. Especially when it means that once you take the job and it becomes clear you don't act like you said in the interview, you may be kicked out sooner.

What I would like in addition to his idea is that when you've proven (for example) your ability to get teams in financial trouble out of that trouble and up the league, clubs that are ín that kind of trouble approach you to get them out of trouble aswell. I mean: not only when you're clubless, but also when you're still strongly in the seat. So one might be approached by clubs of equal, or slightly lower or higher sature who are not nescessarily in need of a 'name', but in need of a manager with those kind of skills. "Sorry to bother you, but we would like to ask if you would be interested in the job at our club'. We know we're in a lower league, but it's like 'so and so' and we feel you would be the ideal man to get this club back on track. We are willing to give you 'this and that' to achieve it and blablabla".

I would really be flattered by such an offer and be very tempted to take on the challenge, probably at the end of the running season but that's not important.

Note that I always start clubless and automatic experience, maybe that's why I hardly get any 'spontaneous job offers' once I'm at a club. I've probably played till 2040 in FM10 (probably 15 promotions or cupwins in all, most from scratch) and not once been offered a job whilst being with a club. I think there might be more realism if succesfull managers get more spontaneous job-offers.

Archived