It's a funny ol' game

I'm not sure really how to take some of these strange moments, but I guess with the number of people playing its bound to happen here or there.

So, 7 matches into the new Premier League season my Derby side have already had some 3 red cards... Oh well. The funniest one was Jermain Beckford finally getting off the mark and then getting sent off within a minute.

Also, again 7 matches into the season the following managers were sacked all at once. Below is the name, club, position and latest result:

Micky Adams - Port Vale - 23rd in L2 - 3-1 away defeat

Ian Holloway - Blackpool - 11th in Champ - 4-1 away defeat

Sean O'Driscoll - Preston - 15th in L1 - 4-1 away defeat

Keith Millen - Bristol City - 19th in Champ - 2-0 home defeat

Paul Dickov - Oldham Athletic - 23rd in L1 - 2-0 home defeat and first defeat in 6

Alan Pardew - Sheffield Wednesday - 17th in L1 - 3-2 away defeat and first defeat in 6

Brendan Rogers - Swansea City - 14th in Champ - 3-0 away defeat, but first loss in 5 including 3 wins in the last 3

Keep in mind that this is a mere 11 matches into the Football league calendar and I went all through last season seeing weekly reports that some 4 managers were going to be sacked without one being sacked all season. I'd feel sorry for these guys, especially Holloway who was getting it going.

Finnally, a bit of fun. I was looking for someone to backup the strikeforce for my first run in the Premier League with Derby. Rivaldo's agent was spreading his name so I gave him a 4 week trial and he seemed to have the goods so I signed him up. What a beast! Coming in as cover for a player who won't be back from injury until late october he's scored 4 in 6 appearances. 39 and still got it. I might have to have a chat with the newly unemployed Paul Dickov now, maybe he's still got a bit of skill.

I should also add that Dickov scored 4 in 7 for Oldham too, making him their top goalscorer before dumping him out as manager.

Archived