Whats the biggest gamble you've ever taken?

As the title says really, what is the biggest gamble you've ever taken in this game, and did it pay off?

I've just taken mine. Start of the second season with Bristol City, we absolutely stormed the Championship in season 1 and got promoted with 7 games to go. I then decided not to be too ambitious and only promised to avoid relegation, and as a result was only given about £10m to throw around. That was fine, the problem however was that I then decided to try and rebuild my entire squad. As a result I did the following:

bristolcitytransfershis.png

About £40m of the £47m is to be paid over the next 36 months. I also timed the transfers to allow me to complete all the transfers within a couple of days of one another which allowed me to go way over my wage budget, by £320,000 to be precise.

So basically it could work well and the new batch of youngsters will secure our future in the premiership, or we could end up getting relegated or only just avoiding it, and being financially ruined.

So, whats the biggest gamble you lot have taken on FM?

Ha from looking at that, I think the biggest gamble lies in the purchase of Dann for £17.5m!!! :)

Mine range from not putting a keeper on the bench and it backfiring, buying a player that I really wanted over a player I really needed... usual stuff. Selling good players to get cash and then realising that my targets have all gone/don't want to come is also quite common.

Ha from looking at that, I think the biggest gamble lies in the purchase of Dann for £17.5m!!! :)

Mine range from not putting a keeper on the bench and it backfiring, buying a player that I really wanted over a player I really needed... usual stuff. Selling good players to get cash and then realising that my targets have all gone/don't want to come is also quite common.

£500,000 upfront, £17m over 48 months!

Also, they wouldn't accept anything less and I was really struggling to find decent premiership standard players who were prepared to join me, and he is English and therefore I'm prepared to pay a premium.

I tried something similar to you, although not sure it counts as a gamble as the underlying thought behind it all was to boost the longterm prospects of the club without gambling. I won promotion from the Championship via the play-offs as Swansea, and as my players were mostly at the peak of their potential and probably at the peak of their value after promotion, I sold almost the entire team. The plan was to bring in a squad of promising youngsters to give me a solid base, and hopefully end up with a few future superstars that could be sold for big money. I figured all I'd promise was to battle bravely against relegation so if I went down, nobody would be too mad, and they gave me £11 million. Unfortunately at this stage we didn't have any of the Premier Division riches and were 5 million in the red, so I hardly saw any of the £13 million raised from selling off so many players (I was left with just 5 of the first team squad I started the game with, along with a further 4 players signed during the first season). I spent around £15 million bringing in youngsters, often for low wages, and when 'high' (10k) wages were needed, I made sure there was a relegation wage drop clause in there! I was all set up with no real risk, but I still wasn't expecting to do quite as badly as we have been. Both my keepers had left at the end of their contracts, and I didn't make paying for a new one a high priority. Before I knew it the money was gone, and we had no keeper. On top of this, all I managed to get in upfront was a few older, slower players that I knew weren't going to cut it. I managed to bring in Arsenal's Mannone on loan, but by the end of January we'd managed just 2 wins and 3 draws. The season has been a disaster! The future may be bright, but we're in dark times right now. To try and lift a bit of the gloom I've gone over my wage budget by 25k to bring in Michael Owen and David Beckham on free transfers.

I very nearly signed Dann for 2 million as Birmingham had been relegated and he wasn't happy, but in the end I went for a cheaper, younger option. I wanted Ospina too but had already spent all my money, also wanted Jack Hobbs but Fulham had signed him in the first January transfer winodw and didn't want to sell. Just looking forward to next season now. NEXT time we're promoted I'll be able to spend the money on just a few quality signings instead, as I'm pretty sure very few of my squad are going to demand transfers after relegation.

Scott Dan for 17 million whoa.

I think what you've done is a massive gamble, but hey gotta be ruthless.

I don't take loads of gamble, only in the games. Something like going overload and 4 strikers on at the Bernebau with ten minutes to go when i could've gone home to England with a 0-0 draw.

I lost 1-0 lol. Out of the champions league :(

Archived