Minimum age to be a manager?

Not a huge thing, but something I've always wondered about.

I'm 17, so I set my age on FM to be 17. Makes sense? Of course. So why does it change my age and make me 25 years old? I know there's never going to be a 17 year old manager in real life, but surely it can't just be rendered impossible! Any reason for it?

I'd imagine it is because the game cannot account for how a squad of players and a board would react to having a 17 year old in charge of the club. 25 seems like a reasonable cut off point, although there aren't many managers about who are that young either.

Would you prefer to be allowed to have an age of 17 if it meant that none of your players would ever take you seriously?

I'd imagine it is because the game cannot account for how a squad of players and a board would react to having a 17 year old in charge of the club. 25 seems like a reasonable cut off point, although there aren't many managers about who are that young either.

Would you prefer to be allowed to have an age of 17 if it meant that none of your players would ever take you seriously?

But the manager's age seems to be an arbitary number in the game anyway.

I mean, it stops at 100. So does it really matter whether the user starts off at 17 or 99 years old?

lol 17 yrs old!

I can't see how a 25yr old manager would be taken seriously at a top club either, or any club that is proffessional. It depends who i manage but i usually put myself at 40 yrs old

It all depends. Imagine if Cesc Fabregas picks up a career ending injury tomorrow in training. He's only 23, but is definitely a "former international superstar" so would have a huge reputation in the world of football. If he then spent 18 months doing his coaching badges and learning from Wenger, I can hardly see Arsenal fans sneering at him taking the reigns, especially with Arsene's backing. When you say "any club that is professional", I dare say that in that scenario Bradford, Charlton or Hull would bite his hand off, just to have someone so famous with such great connections in the footballing world at the club.

A 25 year old ex non league player is less realistic, and will be sneered at by big clubs. but if he had taken up coaching at a youngish age (19 or 20) he could viably have the experience to take a lower club.

There is no relevance in the age of the manager just their previous experience so I'm assuming they have kept it at 25 just to try to make the game more realistic.

There is no relevance in the age of the manager just their previous experience so I'm assuming they have kept it at 25 just to try to make the game more realistic.

i'd be very surprised if certain players with attitude problems found it harder to respect managers that are younger than them, even if it doesn't visibly come up.

i'd be very surprised if certain players with attitude problems found it harder to respect managers that are younger than them, even if it doesn't visibly come up.

I thought that the game took no notice whatsoever of the age of a manger simply their 'reputation', never had any reference whatsoever to the age and if people can play up to 100 it surely is not looked at by the game.

Can you be like in 'Highlander' and end up being hundreds and hundreds of years old? :p

No, it caps at 100 years old. No forced retirment of any sort either

Im only 20, but I just put my real DOB in and it makes be 25, or 27/30 on previous games. I dont really care too much. I manager in Non-league to start with anyway usually so it matters less for 'realism' sake than if you took over Man Utd

Archived