4-4-1-1 Counter Attack

Hello all. First of all sorry for my grammar if i have any mistakes as english is not my native language. I just got my copy of FM 2011 this week and started playing as a LLM. Even though i play FM series for years i have always been a plug&play kind of manager. This year i decided to read, learn, observe and test my own tactics. I thank you all for your contributions to this forum with your knowladge and tactics. Specially to Mr. Hough for his great insights, modesty and contributions.

As a LLM i have started with limited resources and a below avarage squad at Npower League 2. I tried to implement a closed defense system where all players hassle opponents and tried to win then start a fast counter attack. I had a crappy first year but survived and promote while club is taken over by a consortium which injected 8.5 mil into club. At the moment i have a relatively balanced squad and i can see the results of my tactics.

My tactic is a 4-4-1-1 formation but it changes according to space and the defense we are facing. Here we attack with a 4-2-4 formation looking for runners behind the line.

ss2.png

Here we attack with a 4-2-1-3 formation and pass around to create space.

ss3.png

Team Settings

ss4.png

Results so far.. Best achievements are League Cup wins against higher division clubs.

ss5.png

I haven't got the change to test my tactic with higher reputation clubs but i think it'll work for most teams. Here are my recommendations for players.

ST- Must be able to dribble, fast and pacey.

AMC - Flair, passing, creativity is important.

MC's - Both have to be able to pass, look for runners and defend. Their defensive attributes are important cause they stop the opposition attacks and recycle the ball to attackers.

Wingers - They have to dribble, shoot and deliver passes.

Defense - Well i have one of the worst defenses in the league so if this tactic works for me with my defensive line it sure will work for you too.

Touchline instruction --> Hassle the opponents.

If the opponent attacks more from the middle you can play norrower or wider if they attack from the wings.

I'm still tweaking the tactic for a better defense and will test it with stronger clubs too. I'm waiting for your positive feedbacks and recommendations for improving the play.

I really don't say this works for all teams or this is the best tactic. I just wanted to share a tactic that worked so far for my lower league team and i really want to improve it by your feedbacks and learn in the process.

Thank you in advance.

4-4-1-1 Counter Attack Download (File Front)

I really like this tactic using it with Celtic and have had some good results with it.When playing at home against weaker teams I change from counter to attack which works well.Really limits the number of chances for the opponents using this tactic but at times lose out on possession alot.

Played 5 games using this and unbeaten in europe and in Scotland used counter at home against Villarreal and we were 2-0 up after 25mins but ended up drawing 2-2 after my 2 centre backs gifted them with open goal chances although I doubt that is to do with the tactic as I have noticed that using various tactics the centre backs seem to stop moving at times and allow the front players to run right in towards goal.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like you're doing well but your team setting seem to be pretty conflicted. The counter strategy combined with press more are completely different , id expect to see your players getting picked off and passed around a lot when defending. If you're wanting to counter attack then defending your own half or area aggressively should achieve much better results.

Archived