Disgusting number of cards shown.

I'm with Barcelona and could easily pick up more than 7 yellow cards per game even with my tackling set to "cautious"

Not only that, they seem to award a bloody yellow card for every minor offence, such as 1st time tripping.

My record was 9 yellow cards and 2 red cards due to it.

Are the referees in Spain especially stupid/strict?

Or is this another one of their new aims to make the game more "realistic"

I mean cmon, on my save, more than half of the league teams have up to 70 yellow cards with only 17games into the season.

this is irritating me as I keep having my players suspended, (esp Villa, Mascherano, Alves, Puyol, and even Messi and Xavi)

That sounds pretty crazy. I'm in the Blue Square South and after 24 games the most any club has is 37 (I have 27). Ebbsfleet have managed just 7!

I am also playing LL clubs and I have been surprised in general how few cards there are. Though I'm guessing that players in La Liga are much better floppers than Blue Square South lol.

La Liga referees are above average in strictness. However, these results seem extreme. I haven't got anywhere near that number of cautions.

Note that "more cautious" tackling is relative- if you're playing a very attacking game, or using the "get stuck in" shout, you'll still tackle hard. Have you tried manually overwriting every player's tackling to "easy"?

Bit of a coincidence, but I also have the Welsh league running after 20 games. Most yellows is 38, average is about 31.

I wonder if the tactical involvement of a human manager is causing this?

Definitely what I had in mind. This is ridiculous. I just lost a semifinal game for two red cards. So far, 83 yellow cards and 8 red cards in 30 games.

So, I get a penalty against in the semifinal. Red card, two games, and lose the game 1-0.

Then, a get a penalty in favor in the game after that. Yellow card, miss the penalty, then one goal disallowed, then red card for me. Lose the game 0-2.

I started a thread on this the other day and have already seen a few more pop up. In my first 8/9 games with villa i got something like 6 red cards. Every game i played i just knew there would be at least one red. Since then i've started a couple more saves and haven't had this problem so i can only assume its the randomness of the game going a bit crazy, then again there are alot of people with the same problem!

Have you compared yoyr yellow and red cards stats to the actual stats in the league yu are playing in / real life to see how this compares....better or worse?

Do you have any of your players on hard tackling?

I've completed my first season as Portsmouth and over the season had 5 reds & 66 yellows. My biggest issue is the level of fitness in this league

Definitely what I had in mind. This is ridiculous. I just lost a semifinal game for two red cards. So far, 83 yellow cards and 8 red cards in 30 games.

So, I get a penalty against in the semifinal. Red card, two games, and lose the game 1-0.

Then, a get a penalty in favor in the game after that. Yellow card, miss the penalty, then one goal disallowed, then red card for me. Lose the game 0-2.

Game after that, red card after 20 minutes. I am on my third straight red card.

9 reds in 9 games for me and it aint anything to do with aggression, tackling etc. It's a bug in the game

If thats the case we'd see it in all leagues.

perhaps as hinted at the level of strictness for certain refs may be more?

One issue I notice is that long opposition balls toward touchline in my half as opposition breaks results in more covereing player just ambling over despite being closer by yards. When he actually gets there he fouls the player. Thats why I have a high yellow card count. Do you see a pattern for the sending offs . e.g. last man etc

Have you compared yoyr yellow and red cards stats to the actual stats in the league yu are playing in / real life to see how this compares....better or worse?

Do you have any of your players on hard tackling?

I've completed my first season as Portsmouth and over the season had 5 reds & 66 yellows. My biggest issue is the level of fitness in this league

Yes I have : http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/237483-7-red-cards-in-first-9-games

If thats the case we'd see it in all leagues.

perhaps as hinted at the level of strictness for certain refs may be more?

One issue I notice is that long opposition balls toward touchline in my half as opposition breaks results in more covereing player just ambling over despite being closer by yards. When he actually gets there he fouls the player. Thats why I have a high yellow card count. Do you see a pattern for the sending offs . e.g. last man etc

It is in all leagues. The English leagues are what Im playing and its terrible, but the spanish, french and italian leagues in my game are all affected.

Its not my team, which is on default tackling, there are 29 teams from the English with 6 -13 red cards in a season, thats way too high.

5 is high, 500% higher than your beloved Pompey actually got!

The average in the Championship last season was 1.3 and only 4 teams got 3 or 4 cards, the other 20 got 1 or 2 only!

Point proven.

Oh and what about the rest of the league, I bet there were at least 6 or more teams in your league that got 5 or more.

In my league West Brom got 10!

Real life stats :

Championship:

Club

Leeds United 2

Preston 3

Barnsley 0

Reading 3

Millwall 2

Coventry City 1

Sheffield Utd 2

Burnley 4

Norwich City 1

Ipswich Town 2

Crystal Palace 3

Hull City 1

QPR 2

Derby County 0

Middlesbrough 1

Portsmouth 1

Bristol City 1

Scunthorpe 0

Doncaster 1

Nottm Forest 0

Cardiff City 1

Leicester City 2

Swansea City 1

Watford 0

That sounds pretty crazy. I'm in the Blue Square South and after 24 games the most any club has is 37 (I have 27). Ebbsfleet have managed just 7!

Seriously?! When I was in BSN there were loads of bookings. I realised it was a ref that averaged about 10 yellows and 1 red per game! It was carnage when my team had him reffing the the match

Seriously?! When I was in BSN there were loads of bookings. I realised it was a ref that averaged about 10 yellows and 1 red per game! It was carnage when my team had him reffing the the match

Bishop Stortford got 13 red cards in my last season....

BSS

BSN

(both after 30 games)

Actually those figures are really high surely!??!!?!?

The highest was 39 yellows in 46 matches yet one team in yours has 58 in 30!!

Cant find the stats for the real world for the Blue square but here are league two for last season.

Hereford 39

Burton 32

Torquay United 31

Accrington 27

Barnet 26

Port Vale 26

Wycombe 26

Stevenage 25

Oxford United 25

Lincoln City 25

Southend 24

Rotherham 23

Shrewsbury 22

Bradford City 22

Bury 22

Stockport 21

Gillingham 21

Macclesfield 21

Chesterfield 20

Aldershot Town 19

Cheltenham 19

Morecambe 18

Northampton 14

Crewe 13

Actually those figures are really high surely!??!!?!?

The highest was 39 yellows in 46 matches yet one team in yours has 58 in 30!!

Cant find the stats for the real world for the Blue square but here are league two for last season.

Hereford 39

Burton 32

Torquay United 31

Accrington 27

Barnet 26

Port Vale 26

Wycombe 26

Stevenage 25

Oxford United 25

Lincoln City 25

Southend 24

Rotherham 23

Shrewsbury 22

Bradford City 22

Bury 22

Stockport 21

Gillingham 21

Macclesfield 21

Chesterfield 20

Aldershot Town 19

Cheltenham 19

Morecambe 18

Northampton 14

Crewe 13

I'm not sure where those stats have come from but they are very different to these, which are for the current season after 16 games.

I'm not sure where those stats have come from but they are very different to these, which are for the current season after 16 games.

Hmmn, actually you are right

Ive just checked the Football league site and the figures are higher than I thought.

Club F Y R P

Brighton 604 78 10 7

MK Dons 629 128 8 6

Exeter City 431 57 8 3

Walsall 458 58 8 6

Tranmere 501 79 8 7

Southend 521 70 7 7

Stockport 485 73 7 7

Colchester 562 81 6 6

Norwich City 517 56 4 4

Gillingham 497 78 3 6

Brentford 492 52 3 6

Carlisle 505 65 3 3

Hartlepool 509 70 3 3

Huddersfield 514 60 3 4

Yeovil Town 496 79 3 5

Leyton Orient 479 63 3 5

Charlton 570 79 3 3

Wycombe 480 45 2 4

Bristol Rovers 479 65 2 10

Oldham 539 82 2 7

Leeds United 551 74 2 6

Millwall 601 73 2 5

Swindon Town 413 50 2 2

Southampton 586 74 1 5

BSS red cards - seems pretty reasonable, in real life there are a number of Football League clubs with 4 red cards after 16 games, then Plymouth with 6 :D

What other leagues are you interested in? Here's what I've got.

The problem is that the game will assign the same referee to officiate many matches in a row. Thus, if that referee is card happy, the user will get far too many cards. Evidence below.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t239/bababui_2007/00leighcards3.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t239/bababui_2007/00leighcards1.jpg

So I told my players to be VERY CAUTIOUS on tackles. Not only that, but I told them to not even pressure, to stay back.

Result? 6 games in, leading yellow cards with 20 (same average as before, over three per game), and two red cards (same average as before, one red card every three games).

But no, I'm sure it's my tactics/ Or my players. Or my next door neighbor.

So far thru my first 20 games in the Bulgarian "A" league Ive only had 1 red card and a handful of yellows. My main problem has been giving PK's. If my defense breathes on an attacker its called and they are given a PK. So far Ive given 19 PK's, almost 1 a game. Ive only so far received 3 PK's two of them in 1 game. This is the one thing bothering me the most.

* As an aside I was playing the the BSN and in the first 10 games I had 9 reds and 21 yellows and quit the save.

Considering there's alot of people with the same problem, including myself, it's safe to say it isn't what we're doing but instead a bug within the game, the best thing for me is having someone booked after 1 challenge 50 seconds into the game, what is that all about?

I'm with Barcelona and could easily pick up more than 7 yellow cards per game even with my tackling set to "cautious"

Not only that, they seem to award a bloody yellow card for every minor offence, such as 1st time tripping.

My record was 9 yellow cards and 2 red cards due to it.

Are the referees in Spain especially stupid/strict?

Or is this another one of their new aims to make the game more "realistic"

I mean cmon, on my save, more than half of the league teams have up to 70 yellow cards with only 17games into the season.

this is irritating me as I keep having my players suspended, (esp Villa, Mascherano, Alves, Puyol, and even Messi and Xavi)

Have you had Micheal Oliver reffing alot of your games? ;)

well, i just ended my season with barcelona and i did a check on the referees.

more than 9 of them had up to 140+ yellow cards in roughly 20+ games.

insane!

now starting on Tottenham, dun seem to get as much card.

i guess its just the game save and not the country or team fault.

maybe a bug?

Considering there's alot of people with the same problem, including myself, it's safe to say it isn't what we're doing but instead a bug within the game, the best thing for me is having someone booked after 1 challenge 50 seconds into the game, what is that all about?

So Vinne Jones record is still intact. :thup:

He was booked after just 3 seconds. The fastest red card was Kevin Pressman after 13 seconds.

PaulC has posted a list of stats from the game including the average number of cards for the EPL and Championship which are:

EPL:

Yellow cards per match 2.91

Red cards per match 0.17

Championship:

Yellow cards per match 3.11

Red cards per match 0.20

These seem to tally close to real life. In the Championship this season there has been 591 yellow cards in 203 matches, thats 2.89 bookings per game. So Paul's game is a little higher then IRL for this season so far.

I will be comparing the card stats to those in my game even though I've not noticed a real problem with the cards except for more bookings during the December to January fixture congestion for my team.

I've only check the Championship in my game and as of the end of February there has been 420 games played with 1019 yellows and 65 reds.

So per game that is 2.4 yellow cards and 0.15 reds.

So in my game I'm having quite a number fewer of cards then in PaulC's list and fewer then the 2.9 bookings per game that has happened so far this season in the Championship.

The only real conclusion is that everyones game is different.

To be honest though in FM2010 and previous releases, the ref stats were not shown on the match prep screen (you had to click 'referee stats' in the inbox before) so we have to pay attention to the ref's stats before every game now whereas before (I myself, anyway) only clicked the referee stats on important matches. But anyway, yeah they do seem high in my BSS game :D

Making a guess here as I don't have FM11, but from what I can see, people who are having this problem seem to be using the Tactical Creator. I'm wondering if people who aren't having this problem are using the classic tactics system? And therefore, perhaps there's an issue with tackling/marking instructions in the Tactical Creator?

Making a guess here as I don't have FM11, but from what I can see, people who are having this problem seem to be using the Tactical Creator. I'm wondering if people who aren't having this problem are using the classic tactics system? And therefore, perhaps there's an issue with tackling/marking instructions in the Tactical Creator?

That would fit for me. Picked the pre-set 4-3-1-2 system for my Man Utd team and tweaked it slightly and have had 2 red cards in 27 games and 1.7 yellows per game. Even the worse teams are at an average of 1 red every 4 games and 2 yellows per game much like Arsenal this season.

Nope, tactical creator all the way. Tackling and closing down on "default" for everyone. 5 reds in 65 games now.

Just a thought on this, but do you have any opposition instructions set? If you do 'ask assistant' he will sometimes set quite a few of their players to be tackled hard, which over-rides the default tackling you have for players. I keep an eye no this and don't get a huge number of bookings playing in south africa. Just an idea.

... well, we're focusing on "statistics" and "average", but I think the problem is "what a manager can do during (or before) a match to modify a situation"

So, if I tell my players to be VERY CAUTIOUS on tackles (assuming we're winning 3-0, for instance) , I expect to reduce the "yellow risk", not to zero, sure (random foul is always possible), but i should see an effect in the match. Sure, opposite team could take advantage from this but let me choose if it is worth...

Same thing if I modify instruction to a booked player.

And same thing if I look at ref average before the match and modify tackling/marking instructions (and, as bababui said, another problem is that the game will assign the same referee to officiate many matches in a row).

So, the only chance about yellow/red cards risk can't be "God help me" or "finger crossed", I'd like to "manage this area", too..... :thup:

... well, we're focusing on "statistics" and "average", but I think the problem is "what a manager can do during (or before) a match to modify a situation"

So, if I tell my players to be VERY CAUTIOUS on tackles (assuming we're winning 3-0, for instance) , I expect to reduce the "yellow risk", not to zero, sure (random foul is always possible), but i should see an effect in the match. Sure, opposite team could take advantage from this but let me choose if it is worth...

Same thing if I modify instruction to a booked player.

And same thing if I look at ref average before the match and modify tackling/marking instructions (and, as bababui said, another problem is that the game will assign the same referee to officiate many matches in a row).

So, the only chance about yellow/red cards risk can't be "God help me" or "finger crossed", I'd like to "manage this area", too..... :thup:

I believe it is manageable, as I state I am having no issues with the number of cards for my team or in game on any league. I feel that from what has been said there might be an issue when people use the tactical creator which is somehow having an effect. I don't use it, so may be thats why I am not seeing the problem others are. If it is the case that the tactical creator is somehow at fault then it is something that will need fixing.

I think I've picked up 1 red card in about 35 games with an average of 1.5 yellows per game

Remember OI will override team instructions, that may be a factor? I only Hard tackle the more offensive players & that's usually by best tacklers ie the defenders & defensive midfielders

Archived