Srikers...

I wasn't sure where to put this as is it a tactic problem, a bug problem or what? So I put it in General.

I worked hard to get Hereford to play properly. I started the game unemployed, got the job there, listened to my staff, carefully crafted my team through friendlies and got them playing wonderfully.

The problem? Strikers can't score to save their lives.

The more annoying side of the problem? The opposite team's strikers are world class.

I had 6 one-on-one's in one match, my striker keeps missing them (supposedly my star player as well) where-as they get one chance and score. Highly infuriating.

My striker I noticed kept smashing the ball which ended up miles wide or right on to the keeper and I noticed this early on in the season so I said to him "try to place your shots" and he said "ok i'll try" and he doesn't seem to. After a while when he kept doing it in one match I told him I was disappointed with his performance and he gave what I think is a sarcastic remark saying "anything else? since this seems to be very constructive."

So I left it to see how he gets on in the following matches and he is the same, we play beautiful balls through opposition defence but the guy refuses to score! Continuing to smash it at the keeper....

You know those matches where a team plays great, misses easy chances and loses and you think "well what can the manager do about that?" That's how almost every game is for me!

Should I get a new coach, fine my striker or what?

What are your thought on the strikers? Has the game felt fair to you?

Has the game felt fair to you?

No.

I agree with you. It's a bit of a joke. Most games I lose have more Clear Cut Chances than the opposition. Just now I lose 3-2. I had 2 CCC, the other team had 0! Yet they still scored 3 goals. And as usual, they were all from crosses. Even though I have great centre halves probably at least 70% of goals I concede are from rubbish crosses.

No.

I agree with you. It's a bit of a joke. Most games I lose have more Clear Cut Chances than the opposition. Just now I lose 3-2. I had 2 CCC, the other team had 0! Yet they still scored 3 goals. And as usual, they were all from crosses. Even though I have great centre halves probably at least 70% of goals I concede are from rubbish crosses.

Wow, same here!

Crosses, crosses. Crap defending.

I was thinking of switching to Zonal Marking as Man Marking I thought was the problem but I have always been a believer in Man Marking so I'm glad to see crosses are not only my weakness.

There seems to be a pattern here which suggests to me the system is broke, not us.

Did they do this because they knew we would out-wit the AI and they didn't want us winning comfortably all the time?

I don't care as long as there is a way to get over it somehow but it's ridiculous when all my coaches say is my best player by far (my striker) can't score 6 CCC in one match and the other team keeps scoring from crosses that go to a man in total space or when my defenders don't even try to intervene the cross to begin with (when I'm set to tough tackling and high closing down).

I absolutely love the game, my fav FM by far, super realistic in most areas but this is seriously beyond stupid and says "HEY I'M JUST A GAME!" louder than anything.

While my strikers aren't world-beaters, I don't expect them to be (playing as Athletic Bilbao). Still, I'm happy with them- Llorente has 8 Goals in 14 matches, Muniain had 6 in 11 (4 of which were subs) last I looked.

However, in my St. Pauli save my strikers are hugely inconsistent, though I am guessing that's because I'm playing as St. Pauli.

Don't get me wrong, my midfield acts stupid sometimes, defending can be dodgy and I expect a few misses of course, I am Hereford. I can forgive those.

It's when match after match my [supposedly] best player, my striker misses easy 1on1's (no pressure from ANYWHERE, no defence to worry him) that I start to think something is wrong here.

The funny thing is a couple of my goals have been wonder goals coming from midfield, I think out of...oh, around 12 goals I've scored (should be at least double that..), only 1 or 2 has been from my "star" striker. When he could easily have had at least 8 (this is taking into account he is bound to miss a few 1on1s).

I'm seriously thinking of starting a game with Barca just to test if all strikers are like this.

I think this is a problem lots of people are facing. I'm playing as Man Utd, and Rooney is now on a goal drought, having not scored for the past 500+ minutes. He gets about 5 one-on-ones per game.

So glad to hear it (because I'm an Arsenal fan :D also because we are establishing a common problem here).

Maybe move this to Bug board now?

Knowing there is a problem like this in the game makes me not want to play now until an update improves it or something.

^Did you do anything training/ tactics/ private chat wise?

Well, I use the default training schedules. As far as private chat, I praise my players when they do well, scold them when they're bad/bad in training. Other than that, it's just because I know my team very well, so I was able to create a perfectly tailored tactic for them without even reading my assistant advice. During matches I also use the team instructions- at home I set it to Attacking with get ball fwd, exploit the flanks, and push higher up. Away/at home against strong opposition I set to counter, get ball fwd, exploit flanks, drop deeper. Away against weak opposition I set to Control and the same instructions otherwise as at home, Away against strong opposition I set to Defensive, retain possession, exploit flanks, work ball into box, drop deeper.

Chances I have no problem creating, we play good and as I said I got 6 1on1s in one match and do very good for Hereford standards, it's that ONLY my striker messes everything up and SO often (read my posts and others saying the same thing for further detail).

One thing I have noticed is that shots simply seem to curve a lot less, normally a striker would curve the ball around the goalkeeper but here the ball seems to just go straight all the time resulting in shots hitting the GK or simply missing the target altogether. I have no problem at all with most of the one on ones not going in, since a lot of players are simply not capable of putting chances away, but in FM11 it seems that 1 in every 30 chances or so goes in. I played one striker so far whom did score from one on ones and that was mainly cos he was too fast for the GK to adjust his position.

The crosses bug is probably the most annoying to be honest, i always use narrow formations but it's practically impossible to get a working one on this version of FM due to the simple pass from midfield to the winger for him to put a shoddy cross and the striker to score...

Hope FM sort it out soon because im tempted to bang the FM10 disc back in....

try signing better coaches for shooting training....

try creating your own training schedule for different positions (also see what's the best role for the player, and then trying to improve the attributes required for that role)...

also try to have a private chat with them (to stop blasting the ball, to place shots in the corner of the net etc...)

and also set your strikers for individual training (finishing, composure or something like that)

i also had problems with my strikers, but now they are just fine, scoring most of the one on one's

as for the defence, i just leave my defenders as they are - central defenders with defend duty....stopper/cover duties takes too much time because you have to look and change once in a while due to strikers swapping position ....

if u have problems with crosses, look your opponents wingers, try to mark them or close down them with your full backs, also use hard tackles and show to weaker foot....it works for me....

in the end, u see many players in real life missing some great chances, defences making costly mistakes, or even teams losing after being dominant for the whole match....it happens in real life ....

I wasn't sure where to put this as is it a tactic problem, a bug problem or what? So I put it in General.

I worked hard to get Hereford to play properly. I started the game unemployed, got the job there, listened to my staff, carefully crafted my team through friendlies and got them playing wonderfully.

The more annoying side of the problem? The opposite team's strikers are world class.

I had 6 one-on-one's in one match, my striker keeps missing them (supposedly my star player as well) where-as they get one chance and score. Highly infuriating.

My striker I noticed kept smashing the ball which ended up miles wide or right on to the keeper and I noticed this early on in the season so I said to him "try to place your shots" and he said "ok i'll try" and he doesn't seem to. After a while when he kept doing it in one match I told him I was disappointed with his performance and he gave what I think is a sarcastic remark saying "anything else? since this seems to be very constructive."

So I left it to see how he gets on in the following matches and he is the same, we play beautiful balls through opposition defence but the guy refuses to score! Continuing to smash it at the keeper....

You know those matches where a team plays great, misses easy chances and loses and you think "well what can the manager do about that?" That's how almost every game is for me!

When I first started managing Hearts my strikers could not score desptite fetching in a couple who I thought were better and had scored consistanly at previous clubs. I dropped to 11th in the league. However what I have found out is that the key is your tactics and match prepartion. Now my tactics are more or less fluiid in every section my team performances have improved and I am now 4th in the league with 2 games to go. Keep tweaking your tactics and try and get your match prepartion to fluid. Ive also been informed throught another post that attacking movement helps as well.

i take it you are playing a lone striker system.

from personal experience i haven't had a lone striker get near a 1 in 2 goal scoring record. 1 in 3 probably my best return.

what formation are you playing?

Archived