Dear SI

This is a bit rhetorical, but I want to voice my concern and rant anyway.

Why do you release such a horribly bugged game?

Many spend, what I believe to be an obscene amount of money on what is effectively an update on last years game (should be no more than a tenner download + 2005 ownership), only to have to wait and wait for it to be fixed.

Spending hours on forums, posting bugs, waiting for reply's and then waiting for you to collate the information from your guinea pigs (us) before starting work on fixes, is no fun and is quite insulting.

I haven't bought the game since 2006 as I found the interface logistics horribly complicated and bugs intolerable, but gave 2011 a chance as I thought you MUST have had long enough to perfect the engine.... ... ..

You simply could not have released this game if we weren't connected to the net..it's unplayable.

As for the game itself, minus the bugs. It's the least fun it's ever been. I think you need to look back to 00/01 CM days and gain a little inspiration from some of the elements from that game.

I know you can't go back to that format, as it's too simplistic, but it was a lot more fun, more engaging, less boring and easier to play.

Rant over.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's impossible for a game like FM, with such a huge amount of data and variables (no two saves are the same) to be completely bug free. I think SI do a great job, if the game was made by EA or Ubisoft there would be no patches and it'd probably be unplayable.

It really wasn't unplayable either on 11.0 or 11.1, I don't know what you're on about.

Exactly. There are thousands upon thousands playing and enjoying this fine game, myself included, while a few dozen seem intent on whinging and turning the fact there are a few niggles (that are known about and being worked on) into the biggest software bug ever etc etc..

Perhaps unplayable = I can't play well.

Not bad. I guess your other 3 posts are all bugs report? :)

Come on... no one can come around and honestly say releasing a sports game every year at full price isn't abusive. At most they are expansions especially in FM's case. mostly they are only database changes relating to the real movements of players and league/team changes.

Granted they did change more in FM11 then I expected, but most of those changes are breaks to the MLS which worked perfectly in FM10. In updating it they broke quite a few areas of it.

As for whats actually new in the game, most notably there are agents, which are another level of bad AI to further confuse the player and management broken AI's in the transfer system. Then there is the Match Prep and individual training, both good additions and reasonably well implemented. Most of all though the ME graphical update is very nice I have to say and there aren't as many AI issues in the ME as I used to see in FM10.

That still doesn't constitute a full game price however, especially considering how many more bugs there are since FM10.

The sport video game model is stupid and so are the people that follow it without asking questions, to be perfectly honest.

Regardless of how it's released, when you release a new game every year, of course it's going to be bugged to hell and back. Because not only do you only have a year to create whatever newness you want, half of SI's FM people are working on patching the latest release and not working on the new one.

All around the entire concept is just stupid but companies stick to it because it's easy money thanks to ignorant consumers.

All around the entire concept is just stupid but companies stick to it because it's easy money thanks to ignorant consumers.

They don't force anyone to buy it. If you think its not worth after playing the demo, wait another year, download a data update for FM2010 or even CM01/02 and play the old one. I think it's worth to pay for it and I would even pay more, as I do not play any other game that extensive as FM and after playing FM2011 I don't want to go back to FM2010 anymore, because Fm2011 is the better game in my opinion.

Many spend, what I believe to be an obscene amount of money on what is effectively an update on last years game (should be no more than a tenner download + 2005 ownership), only to have to wait and wait for it to be fixed.

Spending hours on forums, posting bugs, waiting for reply's and then waiting for you to collate the information from your guinea pigs (us) before starting work on fixes, is no fun and is quite insulting.

I haven't bought the game since 2006 as I found the interface logistics horribly complicated and bugs intolerable, but gave 2011 a chance as I thought you MUST have had long enough to perfect the engine.... ... ..

You simply could not have released this game if we weren't connected to the net..it's unplayable.

As for the game itself, minus the bugs. It's the least fun it's ever been. I think you need to look back to 00/01 CM days and gain a little inspiration from some of the elements from that game.

I know you can't go back to that format, as it's too simplistic, but it was a lot more fun, more engaging, less boring and easier to play.

Rant over.

name the bugs but wait your 1 of these 1s that can't acept the bad stuff in the game right like your players misses the goal ect.

If you guys want the yearly update on features and database 50 Euros seems to be pretty reasonable, there are people doing that update and working on those features that need to be paid for their hard work, i bet most of you (us) usually pay the same for a "regular" game (like uncharted, killzone, halo) which can last up to 10 hours of playability, when in here the playability is infinite....

And like most people said, if you're not having fun, you need to look elsewhere, or at least help making this one better, reporting said bugs you experience, they constantly show their support here on the forums and with the updates...

Come on... no one can come around and honestly say releasing a sports game every year at full price isn't abusive. At most they are expansions especially in FM's case. mostly they are only database changes relating to the real movements of players and league/team changes.

Granted they did change more in FM11 then I expected, but most of those changes are breaks to the MLS which worked perfectly in FM10. In updating it they broke quite a few areas of it.

As for whats actually new in the game, most notably there are agents, which are another level of bad AI to further confuse the player and management broken AI's in the transfer system. Then there is the Match Prep and individual training, both good additions and reasonably well implemented. Most of all though the ME graphical update is very nice I have to say and there aren't as many AI issues in the ME as I used to see in FM10.

That still doesn't constitute a full game price however, especially considering how many more bugs there are since FM10.

The sport video game model is stupid and so are the people that follow it without asking questions, to be perfectly honest.

Regardless of how it's released, when you release a new game every year, of course it's going to be bugged to hell and back. Because not only do you only have a year to create whatever newness you want, half of SI's FM people are working on patching the latest release and not working on the new one.

If as you say the game isnt normally much different to the years before you dont have to buy it.

I personally love having the game released and updated yearly and happily pay for it, if you arent then carry on playing last years.

As for this game, other than an issue with red cards I find the game perfectly playable as it is.

i played over 700 hours of football manager 10 according to steam, so for £30 i'd say thats amazing value for money. i would never get remotely close to that with any other football management game, and even with the online modes i would never get near those hours with fifa/pes.

as far as glorified data updates go, this is one that is definitely worth paying money for.

To be honest, I used to be one of the types who would defend the game at all costs, justifying my reasons for purchase in spite of seeing many people complain about bugs.

This year, though, I'm at the point where I just can't find the motivation to play a game that falls short in a number of fundamental areas.

I used to hate listening to people say the game is unplayable until the major patch comes around, but I'm starting to think they may be right. The fact that I can't tutor any young player with a modicum of talent (unless they are really young, unheard of and undeveloped) has more or less ruined the experience for me. Couple that with a transfer system which allows you to pick up stars for next to nothing and a training system which doesn't yield appropriate results, and I just can't get into the game at all this year. It's great to see that they've attempted to build on the game in a number of areas, but really, they haven't been refined to a great enough extent, and as such, the current version of the game is somewhat underwhelming.

I'm sure a number of you will simply sit back and say I must be bad at the game, but the match engine isn't my problem, it's just that there are a number of things outside of it which are destroying my enjoyment of the game, and I can't reallly look past them at the moment. If you're enjoying the game, then that's great, but I'll move on to some other video games for now, and return to this one once the next patch is released.

By the way, I have no issue with the price or the structure of release, my concern is only with the quality of the offering.

Firstly, abusive or not, it is the industry standard. Hell, these days enough game series get a yearly new release, let alone something like a sports game where it's called for.

Secondly, as an "A list game" that tends to win awards, top sales charts and can justify prime time TV advertising, it's priced closer to an expansion than it is a new game. FM is always available for £30, often for £20 or so if you look around. Contrast that to whichever CoD came out last. I know MW2 cost me around £45-£50, and would have still been £35-£40 wherever I looked close to release.

Thirdly, if you feel the game is just a data update, then why not just download a third party data update free of charge?

How many hours do you get out of FM each year? I know for me, it more than justifies 25 quid every year. Same with FIFA, the amount of hours spent on both games make a mockery of the cost.

Compare with something like COD, because I have no interest on playing it online, I'd get around 8 hours (and that's being generous). It would also cost me more than FM. That means that while I enjoy the single player, I ain't going to fork out 30-40 quid on it.

At the end of the day, if you don't think it's worth the outlay, then don't buy it. Do as r0x0r said, and just update FM10.

Unplayable is the most misused word in these forums. The game has bugs, yes. Is it unplayable? No. Faaaaaaar from it. As 19 hours of game time in just over a week would tend to suggest that it's perfectly playable.

Every year there is a free demo released which you can download to decide if you think the new version is worth buying. If, after playing the demo, you think it isn't worth it, don't buy it.

Personally I know I'll get amazing value from FM. Assuming I paid £30 for the game, my FM2011 game is already working out at 75p for an hour playing. My FM2010 game would have worked out at around 2p an hour :D

It's impossible for a game like FM, with such a huge amount of data and variables (no two saves are the same) to be completely bug free. I think SI do a great job, if the game was made by EA or Ubisoft there would be no patches and it'd probably be unplayable.

Agreed 100% mate.

I also own a copy of this year's FIFA 11, and while it's brilliant (Nex-Gen) compared to last year's installment, the Manager Mode in it is riddled with gamebreaking bugs!!! Most of them were reported last year on the consoles (since FIFA 11 PC is a direct port of FIFA 10 console), but EA were sitting on their lazy bums for a whole year without solving any of those!!! And no support whatsoever on when a patch fix will be available. When they did release a patch, it intoduced a few more bugs, without solving any... :p

Fact: SI is way better than EA, and this game is way better than any other footy management sim out there.

Rant over.

Here is a short answer:

If SI said to the Community on 4th Nov, "chaps, there are some bugs and we are working on a patch but to solve all issues we will need to delay the release for 3 weeks - or we can release it now and you can have the patch as soon as it is ready?"...I would bet my "crown jewels" that the majority would want product release immediately.

I quantify this rather fluffy reply because I am of the opinion that there are no "game breaker" bugs - if there are I may change my mind.

instead of wasting time with a thread slating the game, why not stick to the bug reporting section, and help it get bug free

Well he did mention it, and stated there was no progress what so ever.

there are no "game breaker" bugs

The transfer system is becoming a growing problem, along with other problems. All together, I can see why the original poster had enough.

I feel the same way, I still have fun though, despite the problems. But the fact that ongoing issues are not fixed on long term basis, but only graphical candy is released. It sure is a growing problem.

They incorporate more interacting, instead of fixing what is already broken.

Hold on why is the opening poster getting trashed, he is a consumer, he paid the money for the game and is entitled to give his feedback.

This release of FM is bordering on disgraceful and it feels very rushed and lazy.

The transfer system and the fact that I have been able to buy 6 of the best players in europe for a combined sum of around £35 million makes this game pointless at the moment as it is far too easy to turn an average team into world beaters.

Here is a short answer:

If SI said to the Community on 4th Nov, "chaps, there are some bugs and we are working on a patch but to solve all issues we will need to delay the release for 3 weeks - or we can release it now and you can have the patch as soon as it is ready?"...I would bet my "crown jewels" that the majority would want product release immediately.

I quantify this rather fluffy reply because I am of the opinion that there are no "game breaker" bugs - if there are I may change my mind.

Are you sure you want to lose your "crown jewels"? Because if SI said that they needed some more time to fix all issues and presented the alternative of a bugged patch release, majority of the users would have opted to wait for three weeks rather than two months

Rant over.

I think the game is very well priced considering the hours I put in to it, yes there are bugs but the game is not unplayable and surely you downloaded the demo first before making your decision, dont you think its good that SI let you try before you buy. So basically if your unhappy with the game why did you buy the full product ? Why do you never respond even on your own thread ? And what is the answer, why do SI release such a horribly bugged game (seeing as you already know).

Am I living in another world or something, what major bugs are there that make the game unplayable. I have come across a few minor cosmetic bugs in the game that I have reported to the bugs forum but nothing major.

As for the game been boring I have normally found my first season at a club in all other FM games boring as it isnt really my team but in FM2011 the new training schedules, match prepartion and agents it has made it far more fun and enjoyable. So I dont know what th OP is talking about

wazza the fact that the player interaction makes players unhappy, those players request transfers and the AI clubs sell them for next to nothing. Where is the challenge when you can by 5 or 6 of the best players in europe for a total of around £30-£35 million pounds?

That doesn't sound good.

At least some of the people who were complaining last year might be happy ;)

wazza the fact that the player interaction makes players unhappy, those players request transfers and the AI clubs sell them for next to nothing. Where is the challenge when you can by 5 or 6 of the best players in europe for a total of around £30-£35 million pounds?

Are you using the player interaction correctly and checking the personalities of the players before you respond. I use this all of the time and just completing my 2nd season and none of my players have become unhappy at all. I used the basis of the guide from FM2010 even though it is FM2011 to try and get a good responses from them and to keep morale up Guess Im good at man management!!! I have just purchased the guide on squad management for FM2011 but as it is 108 pages I havnt had time to look at it yet, so thats why I used what I remembered from the squad management and player interaction guide in FM2010

If there is a bug of been able to buy 5 - 6 of the best players in europe for £30 - £35 million pounds I have not come across it as I am managing Hearts in the SPL and my transfer budget doesnt stretch that far, so wouldnt know about it. Im sure these little things SI will sort out sooner rather than later.

Wazza,

Its nothing to do with my interaction with players its the AI managers. I will spell it out for you in the hope of you grasping it:

Step One - Player becomes unhappy with manager (not me a computer managed team)

Step two - As a result of the fall out the club lists player for an absurdly low fee (jack wilshere £5 million, Adebayor £5m, Edin Dzeko £8m, Mario Balotelli £10m, Fernando Llorente £8 million, Tevez £11 million)

Step three - Either they stay on the transfer list for ages with little or no interest which is at least bizarre or

Step four - Me or another team buys them for a very low fee.

When playing as a big team with a decent rep this makes the game far too easy to build up a good team.

For you to brand this a 'little' thing just shows an astounding level of ignorance on your part particularly as your post shows you seemingly do not have the mental capacity to work out the nature of the gripe in the first instance.

hth

Wazza,

Its nothing to do with my interaction with players its the AI managers. I will spell it out for you in the hope of you grasping it:

Step One - Player becomes unhappy with manager (not me a computer managed team)

Step two - As a result of the fall out the club lists player for an absurdly low fee (jack wilshere £5 million, Adebayor £5m, Edin Dzeko £8m, Mario Balotelli £10m, Fernando Llorente £8 million, Tevez £11 million)

Step three - Either they stay on the transfer list for ages with little or no interest which is at least bizarre or

Step four - Me or another team buys them for a very low fee.

When playing as a big team with a decent rep this makes the game far too easy to build up a good team.

For you to brand this a 'little' thing just shows an astounding level of ignorance on your part particularly as your post shows you seemingly do not have the mental capacity to work out the nature of the gripe in the first instance.

hth

It was you who stated in your post that the player interaction makes the players unhappy not me. you did not state in your post it was from the AI managers. Quote from your post 'the fact that the player interaction makes players unhappy'. As I said in my post I have not come across the bug of the lower transfer fees in my game as I am managing in a different league where you cannot afford more than 1 million pound players. So it is in fact you who is been ignorant as I had already commented on this on my previous post that I have not come across it. Quote from my post 'If there is a bug of been able to buy 5 - 6 of the best players in europe for £30 - £35 million pounds I have not come across it as I am managing Hearts in the SPL and my transfer budget doesnt stretch that far, so wouldnt know about it. Im sure these little things SI will sort out sooner rather than later.'

So in future read the response correctly please

Actually wazza the full sentence which you have only posted part of read:

'wazza the fact that the player interaction makes players unhappy, those players request transfers and the AI clubs sell them for next to nothing.'

Astounding :D And you have now confirmed that you are either incapable of reading or incapable of understanding what you read. I am opting for the latter.

Also if you have not experienced this how can you brand it 'a little thing' when it is actually ruining the whole game for me??

Actually wazza the full sentence which you have only posted part of read:

'wazza the fact that the player interaction makes players unhappy, those players request transfers and the AI clubs sell them for next to nothing.'

Astounding :D And you have now confirmed that you are either incapable of reading or incapable of understanding what you read. I am opting for the latter.

Also if you have not experienced this how can you brand it 'a little thing' when it is actually ruining the whole game for me??

Apologies you are correct I have misread your quote with regards to player interaction.

You are incorrect though and have misinterpreted me I have not branded the bug that you are talking about a little thing. What I have said is that I have not come across it as I have not got the transfer funds to look at larger transfer players. My transfer budget is only 200k so when I scout for players those of value above 200k are not picked up and as I am not playing in the English leagues I will not notice it. It also wouldnt come up on any news reports as I am in a different lower league and dont have large named players scouted as I know they wont be interested in coming to my club. Therefore I get no news items about these unrealistic transfers.

What I have said is that the bugs that I have seen are quote ' I have come across a few minor cosmetic bugs in the game that I have reported to the bugs forum but nothing major'. At not one point have I commented to you that your bug is minor I have said that the bugs that I have come across are minor. What you are not grasping is the fact that I have not come across the bug you are reffering to , I am not saying it doesnt exist as it obviously does and am sorry it is ruining your game. I can only comment on the game that I am playing not the one you are.

Therefore you are also incapable of reading or incapable of understanding what you read

That doesn't sound good.

At least some of the people who were complaining last year might be happy ;)

That is so very true. Last year most FM players were crying that it was too hard to buy players, now its the total opposite.

Its kind of disgraceful how some people can't leave good enough alone.

We all know that it takes more than a couple of months to develop a computer software much less a PC game that has a huge database and very different on each individual save. So why complain about it if it wasn't noticed in the development stage? Yes you can buy C. Ronaldo for about $1 if he gets even a little upset(sarcasm), so what, if the AI is selling him for so cheap and you wish not to ruin the realism of the game just DON'T buy him and and he will probably stay with R. Madrid. Like someone said in these forums, SI is working on the next FM installation and also the latest patch for the game, and also their personal lives, so I for one doubt their robots and must make Football Manager to my exact liking and totally bug free. ITS JUST NOT POSSIBLE! Even in today's society where we are dependent on technology for everything. Bugs are going to be in the game because its totally impossible to find all of them before the release date and even if they did delay it they cannot know for sure whats going to happen in the game because it has so many codes, unless you want a static game like FIFA.

We all know they are working on the transfer bugs and other "game-breaking" bugs in the game right now even if they haven't told us yet. I, like a few other gamers here(presumably), like this year's version to last's. I think it has 1up FM10 in a few key areas, I would expand on this but it would impede on my FM11 playing time:D.

P.S. I know we are all entitled to our opinions, but when everyone keeps talking about the transfer bug in the general discussion forum it starts to get annoying, so please, if anyone else wants to discuss this glaringly world-ending bug(again sarcasm) please go to the FM Bugs section. Thank you

That is so very true. Last year most FM players were crying that it was too hard to buy players, now its the total opposite.

Its kind of disgraceful how some people can't leave good enough alone.

We all know that it takes more than a couple of months to develop a computer software much less a PC game that has a huge database and very different on each individual save. So why complain about it if it wasn't noticed in the development stage? Yes you can buy C. Ronaldo for about $1 if he gets even a little upset(sarcasm), so what, if the AI is selling him for so cheap and you wish not to ruin the realism of the game just DON'T buy him and and he will probably stay with R. Madrid. Like someone said in these forums, SI is working on the next FM installation and also the latest patch for the game, and also their personal lives, so I for one doubt their robots and must make Football Manager to my exact liking and totally bug free. ITS JUST NOT POSSIBLE! Even in today's society where we are dependent on technology for everything. Bugs are going to be in the game because its totally impossible to find all of them before the release date and even if they did delay it they cannot know for sure whats going to happen in the game because it has so many codes, unless you want a static game like FIFA.

We all know they are working on the transfer bugs and other "game-breaking" bugs in the game right now even if they haven't told us yet. I, like a few other gamers here(presumably), like this year's version to last's. I think it has 1up FM10 in a few key areas, I would expand on this but it would impede on my FM11 playing time:D.

P.S. I know we are all entitled to our opinions, but when everyone keeps talking about the transfer bug in the general discussion forum it starts to get annoying, so please, if anyone else wants to discuss this glaringly world-ending bug(again sarcasm) please go to the FM Bugs section. Thank you

Absolute drivel from start to finish (not sarcasm)

Absolute drivel from start to finish (not sarcasm)

Why is this drivel. He is just infroming you all how it is SI are working on the issues and to talk about them in the correct section on the site. That way SI can deal with them correctly.

Nonsense you say? I'm managing Inter right now on my save and have yet to come across a big name player transfer listed because he is unhappy by something trivial. You said this game is borderline disgraceful because you aren't paying twice maybe triple his transfer value, but what would you say about last's year version? Disgusting?

nah not really its just that your post was nonsense.

I for one am not bothered about little bugs we all accept that they happen but issues that can ruin the experience are unacceptable.

Confused ! He is not talking about little bugs on his post, but the transfer bug you are on about.

Archived