Breaking even financially.

I heard somewhere that there's gonna be this rule that every team in the PL (or was it EL/CL) has got to break even at some point in the future, which makes it quite interesting taking on a team such as Chelsea/Man City in the game. Does anyone know how this is implemented in the game, when it occurs and what competition it affects?

My understanding is, too compete in any UEFA competition, you mustn't spend more on transfer fees and wages per year than you generate through tickets, merchandising or player sales, or something to that effect

But simplified it's a case of you can't spend more than you earn

And I'm quite certain it isn't in FM11 since it was past through by UEFA only a short time ago, far too late into the FM's development cycle (though I could be wrong)

So in real life, if say Man City qualify in 4th spot but they have spent 100million and only took in 5million (for example). Would they not be allowed in the CL? If so, who would replace them? The team who finished 5th? and what if they did not make as much as they spent? Would it have a knock on effect? And if so, you could end up having a team who finished say 13th playing in the Europa League because so many clubs have have spent more than they have made?

You can bet the big clubs will fight tooth and nail against this (irl), so I won't put too much money on it being actually implemented.

Already being passed in May through, and actually has quite alot of support since alot of clubs had direct input into how it would work

So in real life, if say Man City qualify in 4th spot but they have spent 100million and only took in 5million (for example). Would they not be allowed in the CL? If so, who would replace them? The team who finished 5th? and what if they did not make as much as they spent? Would it have a knock on effect? And if so, you could end up having a team who finished say 13th playing in the Europa League because so many clubs have have spent more than they have made?

I think the knock on effect is, that all leagues might be adopting the policy as standard, meaning noone will be falling foul if they qualify

Or UEFA is making it a standard which means it's being adopted regardless, I've yet to find a media outlet that gives additional information beyond UEFA's press release (and I'm too tired atm to read and understand the full regulations lol)

But it's meant to come into full effect in the 2012/2013 season, so there is still time to overspend, as long as you keep your wages down lol

Archived