Have SI gone downmarket?

Here's an idea guys, how about getting rid of the annoying Barclaycard pop up ads? They only occur when Im in SI Forums so I presume you are responsible?

It actually deters me from looking at the site and as the site also acts as a marketing tool, whether intended or not, I would suggest removing that function.

I would normally only expect that from either "cheap" sites or "freebie" sites, and have always presumed the profits from your products were supporting the web site.

Here's an idea guys, how about getting rid of the annoying Barclaycard pop up ads? They only occur when Im in SI Forums so I presume you are responsible?

It actually deters me from looking at the site and as the site also acts as a marketing tool, whether intended or not, I would suggest removing that function.

I would normally only expect that from either "cheap" sites or "freebie" sites, and have always presumed the profits from your products were supporting the web site.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tigerhgrrrrrr:

I would normally only expect that from either "cheap" sites or "freebie" sites, and have always presumed the profits from your products were supporting the web site. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wasn't aware such a thing existed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tigerhgrrrrrr:

I would normally only expect that from either "cheap" sites or "freebie" sites, and have always presumed the profits from your products were supporting the web site. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it's your tactics.....

Oh wait. this is something else. since i've never encountered any pop up on this site, it's prolly caused by you visiting certain "cheap" or "freebie" sites.....

I agree about the pop ups. I only get them from SI via their main site if I try to click on the BBC webpage from it and yes it is very annoying. Pop up blocker doesn't work as technically it isn't a pop up its a diversion to another advertising site. I now never click on the BBC link on the SI main web page and just go to it via a save favourites.

the ones i really hate is when your viewing an internet page and then it slowly merges into another page. and you sit there waiting for ages until the 'close' button appears that lets you get back to the previous page.

i dont have pop up blocker though because it affects some sites that actually require the popups. like internet banking.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by postal postie:

the ones i really hate is when your viewing an internet page and then it slowly merges into another page. and you sit there waiting for ages until the 'close' button appears that lets you get back to the previous page.

i dont have pop up blocker though because it affects some sites that actually require the popups. like internet banking. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would that be the close button that actually opens up a full screen window? icon_mad.gif

I get the annoying barclays advert pop-up even though I have a pop-up blocker here. Happens about half the time if I access the forums via the sigames.com page and click on 'forums'

Theres a really bad attitude on these forums IMHO. Sorry but all these people sarcastically rubbishing what the original poster has said - really theres no need for it at all - especially since it is a valid problem he's encountering.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Half-time Orange:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by postal postie:

i dont have pop up blocker though because it affects some sites that actually require the popups. like internet banking. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would that be the close button that actually opens up a full screen window? icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

dont think so. icon_smile.gif it's just extremely irritating.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I don't get any popups at all. I have a popup blocker, but it tells me when it has blocked a popup and it has never done so on this site </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

whs

I thought you were going to tell us that you'd saw the staff reading the Daily Star.

Don't be so precious - all you need is a pop-up blocker.

Thanks guys for the feed back, a few points:

1/ I am on my Work PC, I cannot use pop up blockers or any other unofficial-Company-software,however our Firewalls etc are pretty much state of the art.

2/ There is a problem, thanks to PW, BrettGTE16v & Blatantlyoriginal for worthwhile replies pinpointing the actual origin.

On the basis that the pop ups originate from SI and not the BBC site I am forced to add:

A/ Spoonguardretuns, Bigdirtyjames & Ter, your Posts are incorrect.

B/ d0mbo & chopper99, your Posts were a waste of space - try reading the thread all thorugh with all Posts before trying to prove how dumb your smartass actually is.

BTW, if the origin of the problem is BBC's, not SI's, then I withdraw the above comment (though the bit about reading Posts still stands).

B/ d0mbo & chopper99, your Posts were a waste of space - try reading the thread all thorugh with all Posts before trying to prove how dumb your smartass actually is. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right. I've read through every bit of the thread that was present when I replied. At no point did you mention that you could not use a pop up blocker and at no point did you indicate that you were coming to the foums via a particular website that may be the cause of the pop-ups.

So before resorting to petty insults try reading through your own thread again.

And I still don't see what all the fuss is about. Just type 'Sports Interactive' into Google, click on 'Forums' under the main title of the first result you get and bingo. You're straight into the forums without any pop up problems.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">BTW, if the origin of the problem is BBC's, not SI's, then I withdraw the above comment (though the bit about reading Posts still stands). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then withdraw it now, because it's a fact.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">People really will complain about anything and everything. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Re your last Post, I think we both responded in an inappropriate manner when all facts are considered (which is the point I recently provoked), your initial Post was not helpful, which in truth neither was my last but I felt my Post was more Forum relevant than the usual "Wot Tactics werk" posts that we get, and would have appreciated a more useful initial reply from yourself.

I'l agree to disagree with you on this one if you wish, generally you have posted some good stuff that I have appreciated & found helpful but I feel your & my smartarse remarks were probably a little unjust, with hindsight.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">People really will complain about anything and everything. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Re your last Post, I think we both responded in an inappropriate manner when all facts are considered (which is the point I recently provoked), your initial Post was not helpful, which in truth neither was my last but I felt my Post was more Forum relevant than the usual "Wot Tactics werk" posts that we get, and would have appreciated a more useful initial reply from yourself.

I'l agree to disagree with you on this one if you wish, generally you have posted some good stuff that I have appreciated & found helpful but I feel your & my smartarse remarks were probably a little unjust, with hindsight. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fair enough, I think it just happened that you unfortunately added this thread in the middle of a barrage of complaint threads about the new patch, many of which were annoying me. Perhaps I took that frustration out on you unfairly, and that's where the comment about people complaining about anything came from.

But you're right, it wasn't a particularly helpful comment and for that I apologise.

Archived