PDA

View Full Version : Question about Premier League place and Europa League qualification

Bilet
12-11-2010, 17:32
I finished 6th with Fulham in my first season...and therefore should qualify for the Europa League and come in at the 4th Qualifying Round....but I didn't?

Reading won the League Cup and Tottenham who finished 8th won the FA Cup...is this the reason?

...bit gutted if this is a bug! But can't really find the rules so don't know if those two, without finishing in the top 7th, made my position disqualified from a place in the Europa League?

Neil Brock
12-11-2010, 17:35
Yeah there are only UEFA Cup spots for the team that finishes 5th, and the two cup winners. If a cup winner finishes in the top four, more spots become available to high league finishers. You were unlucky!

Bilet
12-11-2010, 17:36
Ok. Then please delete/close my thread ! :)

DeadZone
12-11-2010, 17:54
Yeah there are only UEFA Cup spots for the team that finishes 5th, and the two cup winners. If a cup winner finishes in the top four, more spots become available to high league finishers. You were unlucky!

May I correct you
Technically, it would be, if a cup winner has already gained a UEFA place by other means domestically, then that UEFA spot goes to the highest league finisher not yet to have qualified for Europe
For example, if a team won both cups but finished 10th, 6th place would still qualify for the Europa League