From Players to Coaches

Question: How do I get a player to retire (immediately) and become a coach?

For example, I am playing Man Utd, and as you all know lots of players are going to become coaches after the first season (Van der Sar, Giggs, Scholes...). As with everyone else I recommend them a 'possible future staff role' and they happily offer to start right away. Their coaching attributes instantly appear and all.

Now when I try to get them to accept a coach contract, they flat out refuse! So I thought I had to let their player contracts run out first. But then they decide to leave the club and simply will not have any more business with me.

So my question is, how do I turn them from my players to my coaches?

• SI Staff

Have you tried offering them a short player/coach contract first, so they can still keep playing whilst also taking part in coaching ? Many players who are still playing actively (even if it is their last season or so) would probably find it hard to drop their playing duties in the middle of the contract and cut their wages to take on a coach-only role.

• 5 months later...

Been searching on google but can't find an answer, got linked to this thread instead!

Sorry to bump it, but can I ask: - how can I make an aging player become a coach?

I understand that obviously not all players can become coaches/staff, but when it says they are interested in going to a coaching role, how do I actually make them become staff? I've tried interacting ("I think you'd make a good coach/assistant/scout) and they've agreed, but I still can't offer them a player/coach role, or any role besides player.

Thanks.

Archived