6 players on the pitch?

I don't have a pic to confirm unfortunatly. However, I was playing 'Stoke City' with Liverpool. They got 2 red cards in the space of 3 mins (seems common on the forums) And I ended up winning 9-0. Even with 2 reds, i thought that was bizarre. I realised that they ended up with 6 men on the pitch, including the goalie, after 2 red cards?

Strange one. Could of been a one off, but thought i'd mention it.

On another note. Is it just Torres? Or in general the 1 on 1s are awful on FM? I#ve never seen so many shots go straight at the GK

I don't have a pic to confirm unfortunatly. However, I was playing 'Stoke City' with Liverpool. They got 2 red cards in the space of 3 mins (seems common on the forums) And I ended up winning 9-0. Even with 2 reds, i thought that was bizarre. I realised that they ended up with 6 men on the pitch, including the goalie, after 2 red cards?

Strange one. Could of been a one off, but thought i'd mention it.

On another note. Is it just Torres? Or in general the 1 on 1s are awful on FM? I#ve never seen so many shots go straight at the GK

11 minus 2 red cards should equal 9 players on the pic. The only other possibility is the manager used all his subs then 3 players got injured and couldn't continue, hence, Six!

1 on 1s are tougher now so it doesn't only happen to Torres, don't worry! :)

Actually, I have noticed that once your team gets a red card and you move another player to that slot (or if you sub someone immediately after a red card, can't recall which one of the two occasions) , he sometimes disappears. So if that happened twice to Stoke, they would have 7 players left, plus maybe an injury? That would leave 6. But yeah, very odd indeed

But be honest... does the match engine often have a team go below 7 players? I would of sort it be so rare that coding this rule wouldn't be a priority... despite the fact it wouldn't take much coding time in comparison to many of the other modules

There's also the argument that when a team goes down to 7 players, the opposition is awarded a 3-0 win, which could be less than what is currently being played (in this case it could have been 6-0 or 7-0). In real-life they would consider this because you can't have teams taking advantage of a lower goal difference by "fouling out" the game.

But be honest... does the match engine often have a team go below 7 players? I would of sort it be so rare that coding this rule wouldn't be a priority... despite the fact it wouldn't take much coding time in comparison to many of the other modules

Have you ever made a game? Sometimes things that seem like they should be simple cause tons of other things to break.

Have you ever made a game? Sometimes things that seem like they should be simple cause tons of other things to break.

Ah, but I am a programmer (just not of games), so these things I'm far more than aware of, and fallen fowl of on occasion

However, bare in mind, I said "in comparison to many of the other modules"

I never said it was easy nor would take time, just that it's simple when compared to other modules

The "simplest" method (though by no means the only or most fool-proof one) would be, once the a side goes below X active players (ensuring that at that moment, if it's being triggered by an injury with subs left, the sub is allowed to happen and the rest of the game ending coding is ignored), end the game and set the score to either 3-0 to the opposition team, or keep the current score if the opposition side is already winning by a larger number of goals or scored more than 3 (most fairest method, despite not actually be correct)

Then you would need to update press conference and interactions to reflect such an event happening, and even morale in some cases

And beyond that, again depending on footballing laws for the competition, ensure the club/nation of the offending side is fined as such with a fan confidence reaction as desired by the SI team

So, quite simple in relation to alot of other modules, however, the time required to code and test may not be worth it (didn't say it would be easy or quick), especially considering how rare the event should occur inside the match engine

And then when you read the FIFA rules, an abandoned match is actually meant to be replayed regardless of the reason for abandonment, it makes it a little less worth the time

Of course, discretion is given to allow associations (National FA's, UEFA, etc) to make their own rules, and I believe UEFA has the 3-0 rule, though I can't find their rulebook at the moment, so that's a guess

Interestingly, in the Premier League, there is no provision to even abandon games due to dismissals (even has no required minimum number of players on the field), therefore it simply falls back to FIFA's rules, where it says the required number of players required to continue a match is down to the discretion of the member associations. They just advised it not continue if lower than 7, though the rules state a game must start with at least seven on each side

They then say the ref only has to abandon a match due to lack of numbers if any players deliberately leave the field of play (ie. walked off, not through injury or sending off), and even then they can still wait until the next time the ball goes out of play if they choose

So with that in mind... it might simply not be worth coding in at all anyway since the overall law is not to abandon the match (The only valid abandonment scenarios simulated in the match engine are weather related - and international call-up would also be a valid reason in many leagues)

And would require research and even more programming to include each associations rules (And some nations have different rules for different leagues despite being in the same country)

Archived